Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Players we're looking to recruit apparently want to know who our coach is for 2021 (I believe overs is enough, but whatever). That means we can't sit around waiting for a top coach if one isn't available (as players also can't wait for us to make a decision). The board will most likely re-sign Pay (for reasons I've stated before, we'll not talk about that today tho) if a top coach isn't available. We just have to make the decision soon/now.
You only pay overs if you believe the player is ready to take a higher step again, and overs is really unders. Otherwise we just repeat the same cycle and find we are digging ourselves out of a hole again. If you look at someone like Manly, Hasler has his 3 guys who are really paid top dollar. So they need to hunt around for Bargains which they believe they are paying unders for, like Harper from the Bulldogs. THey hope he will take another step, and with the success at the club, he may find it quicker than hanging around the Bulldogs. Potentially a big pay day at Manly or another club (cause Manly probably won't be able to afford to pay him his dues).

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dean Pay won't be torpedoed at Thursday's board meeting, but Canterbury officials have privately conceded they will have a fairer idea by the end of next month whether to ''sack or back'' their coach.

With Josh Reynolds aiming to sink the boot into his former club on Sunday when he runs out in the Wests Tigers' No. 6 jersey, the Bulldogs know the clock is ticking when it comes to making a call on Pay for 2021 and beyond
The Dogs maintain there have been no conversations or approaches made to rival coaches, including Wayne Bennett.

No official deadline has been placed on a Pay decision, but the club knows they need to get moving soon so they can plan for next year.
Prior to the competition's suspension earlier this year, Canterbury were keen to see how the team performed across the opening two months before weighing up whether to extend Pay's tenure into a fourth and fifth season.

By the the time the Dogs have played the Tigers, Bennett's South Sydney, the Broncos and St George Illawarra, Pay will have had a similar amount of time to prove he deserves a new deal.
The last thing Canterbury want is to re-sign Pay early and have the poor results continue. The Dogs also know a coach can arrive as late as the post season and still have enough time to get a team up and running.

The Bulldogs, however, do not have that luxury of waiting that long. They have $3m to spend on new talent, but players will want to know who they'll be playing for before committing to the club
While Bennett's record speaks for itself, there are some at Canterbury who point to the fact it has now been several years since he last tasted success.

Craig Bellamy was linked to the Dogs last week but quickly shot down those rumours, even going to the point of ringing his good mate Pay to confirm there had been no contact.

Some people loosely affiliated with the club - but with zero influence - have ensured the issue of Pay's future has kept bubbling by tossing up a fantasy list of replacements.

The Dogs have already signed English prop Luke Thompson who will have no dramas leaving Melbourne on Sunday once his 14-day isolation period finishes.

Prop Aiden Tolman leapt to Pay's defence this week when he told the Herald: "Our cap was a mess for a long time, we had to let a lot of players go we wouldn't have liked to, particularly in Deano's first year, and now is the time to give him the opportunity ... let him get the team he wants and once he's got that team, judge him then. It's harsh to judge him right now."
Meanwhile, Reynolds, whose third and final request to leave the Tigers and return home to Canterbury fell over before the competition resumed, is expected to have a huge impact on Sunday evening.

Tigers teammate Harry Grant remembers watching Reynolds and quickly got a sense of how much he meant to the Bulldogs faithful, but was certainly glad he was wearing the black, white and orange.

"He'll be very energetic as he always is when he comes out on Sunday,'' Grant said.

"With the new rule changes he's a runner of the footy, he likes to get his hands on the footy, and once we get a bit of a dent in the opposition [defence], he's keen to take them on. He loves talking and is always talking out on the field.
Well said Aiden but what would a current player who is at training and meetings every day know

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im hearing Anderson's have approached Wayne
Wayne Bennett hits out at NRL rumour mill over his coaching future and rival jobs

Wayne Bennett is a coach in demand, having been linked to three teams in the past week. But the Warriors dramatically burned their chance at getting him on board, the supercoach has revealed.
As he prepares for Thursday night’s clash against the Panthers at Campbelltown, Bennett revealed family reasons – he helps care for his disabled son Justin – are among the factors in his commitment to Souths.

“I’m not going to New Zealand,” Bennett said.
“I have family commitments in Australia with my son Justin, how can I go overseas when I have to help look after him? I don’t see Justin enough as it is.
“One minute it’s the Warriors, then it’s the Bulldogs, next I will be coaching at the Cowboys.
“It’s crazy stuff ... I must be the busiest coach in the NRL.”
“Even if the Warriors approached me, it would be a straight ‘No’ anyway.”
Bennett plans to pass the baton at Souths to his current assistant Jason Demetriou, who will launch his NRL head-coaching career at Souths in 2022.
“I’m very happy at Souths,” he said.

“The Rabbitohs want me to stay and there are no ifs or buts there, they won’t do to me what the Broncos did to me."

“Everybody is really happy at South Sydney, I’ve got good relationships here with the players and we are building towards something.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/504f9eb2d44bdde531f66367a8d686e1

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett hits out at NRL rumour mill over his coaching future and rival jobs

Wayne Bennett is a coach in demand, having been linked to three teams in the past week. But the Warriors dramatically burned their chance at getting him on board, the supercoach has revealed.
As he prepares for Thursday night’s clash against the Panthers at Campbelltown, Bennett revealed family reasons – he helps care for his disabled son Justin – are among the factors in his commitment to Souths.

“I’m not going to New Zealand,” Bennett said.
“I have family commitments in Australia with my son Justin, how can I go overseas when I have to help look after him? I don’t see Justin enough as it is.
“One minute it’s the Warriors, then it’s the Bulldogs, next I will be coaching at the Cowboys.
“It’s crazy stuff ... I must be the busiest coach in the NRL.”
“Even if the Warriors approached me, it would be a straight ‘No’ anyway.”
Bennett plans to pass the baton at Souths to his current assistant Jason Demetriou, who will launch his NRL head-coaching career at Souths in 2022.
“I’m very happy at Souths,” he said.

“The Rabbitohs want me to stay and there are no ifs or buts there, they won’t do to me what the Broncos did to me."

“Everybody is really happy at South Sydney, I’ve got good relationships here with the players and we are building towards something.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/504f9eb2d44bdde531f66367a8d686e1
Would most likely be for 2022

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lets hope its not true.
Why not? To be honest I was against Bennett originally because of his age and fears of a short term approach but the idea of him with someone like Ennis or even Pay to mentor for a couple of years before handing over is different.

Wayne will hand over to Demetriou at the end of 2021 anyway so that is inevitable, and they would probably agree to a year earlier handover if asked. Bennett might only get 1 more shot at another premiership and if its with Canterbury its a third club to do it with. Our club has always been admired by Bennett and he was instrumental in recommending Ennis, Hannant, Stagg and Eastwood coming to us from the Broncos.

We have surplus salary cap and some great young talent (Averillo, Wakeham, Schouup etc) and already have Thompson here plus blokes like DWZ, Elliot, Smith, RFM, Ogden and RT would probably grow an extra leg under him.

Souths might do ok this year but they dont look like premiers to me, and Wayne has an ego so a third club for a premiership would be attractive to him. Players would be more interested to be coached by him and come to us.

Maybe, if the Anderson's have approached Wayne its the angle they need to bring Ben Anderson into the club to be tutored by Wayne and Chris??

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Starting to wonder if the club hasn't hired George Costanza to handle these things. Can just see him asleep under his desk somewhere.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Pays rubbish.
Did he get the best out of the Morris boys? How bout klemmer? They all left because they weren't happy under him. Wouldnt have happened with a quality coach.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pays rubbish.
Did he get the best out of the Morris boys? How bout klemmer? They all left because they weren't happy under him. Wouldnt have happened with a quality coach.
Unbelievable that the fans have to put up with this shit

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ve said this before, some of our fans have sunken so deep into mediocrity that this is their new normal and they cannot see a way out. They think this is normal

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why did my message to mediocrity sympathisers get deleted, it had valid argument, fuck this forum is shit

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That thread was shithouse mate. Right call by the Mods
Says the bloke who has about 2 supporters on here, you get hammered in almost every single post, as I recall the world record thread that got how many disagrees ahahahahahahahahaa
No fuckn cred

Status
Not open for further replies.