Our squad and what we have to recruit to be a top 8 team

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you suggesting? That the staff whip them regularly to make sure that they train hard? Stick with them 24/7 to ensure that they stick to their diet as prescribed by the nutritionist? Lock the fridge door to stop the midnight snacks? The benchmarks are agreed and the player has to take the responsibility for meeting them.

Some on here make a big negative of Elliott doing his own additional training, but what it shows to me is that he did everything in his power to not just meet his benchmarks but exceed them. Unfortunately not all have the same dedication.

Go Dogs
Its the same in any work place, managers and team leaders are responsible for getting the most out of their team members and if those team members arent pulling their weight, its up to the leadership to identify what steps need to be taken. Whether it means further skill dev, coaching, sacking. I think that is even more relevant in a professional sports organisation.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What are you suggesting? That the staff whip them regularly to make sure that they train hard? Stick with them 24/7 to ensure that they stick to their diet as prescribed by the nutritionist? Lock the fridge door to stop the midnight snacks? The benchmarks are agreed and the player has to take the responsibility for meeting them.
Some on here make a big negative of Elliott doing his own additional training, but what it shows to me is that he did everything in his power to not just meet his benchmarks but exceed them. Unfortunately not all have the same dedication.
What I'm suggesting is that Management and coaching are negligent and aren't respected if contracted employees don't take pride in their kpi targets.
We've had fatties and unfit looking players for several years.
To be specific, what are you suggesting that "management" aren't already doing that they should be doing?

From what I have seen any offending players have been counselled, they have been given additional training regimes, they have a nutritionist on hand to prepare their dietary requirements and answer any questions, they have fully equipped state of the art training centre, there are qualified staff on hand to help, instruct, assist and guide them etc etc. Their fellow players and teammates encourage them at every opportunity. They have also been dropped from the NRL squad, more than once, and threatened with contracts being cancelled, one actually had his contract terminated (I think we can all guess who that was) etc etc. What else would you suggest?

Go Dogs

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just heard matty johns sum it up perfectly. The roosters lost cronk and Mitchell from last year. It's more about the system than the individuals.
True. They’ve done a fair job of replacing them though

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
To be specific, what are you suggesting that "management" aren't already doing that they should be doing?

From what I have seen any offending players have been counselled, they have been given additional training regimes, they have a nutritionist on hand to prepare their dietary requirements and answer any questions, they have fully equipped state of the art training centre, there are qualified staff on hand to help, instruct, assist and guide them etc etc. Their fellow players and teammates encourage them at every opportunity. They have also been dropped from the NRL squad, more than once, and threatened with contracts being cancelled, one actually had his contract terminated (I think we can all guess who that was) etc etc. What else would you suggest?

Go Dogs
New coach

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True. They’ve done a fair job of replacing them though
Yeah I reminisce about the days when we where the benchmark and we where like the roosters of today.
ie Peter Kelly leaves after 2 GF MOM in a row. Then we replace him with Paul Dunn who gets MOM In GF 2 years later.
Just hope at least by the mid 2020s the house is in order on all fronts and we are a place where good players want to be.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah I reminisce about the days when we where the benchmark and we where like the roosters of today.
ie Peter Kelly leaves after 2 GF MOM in a row. Then we replace him with Paul Dunn who gets MOM In GF 2 years later.
Just hope at least by the mid 2020s the house is in order on all fronts and we are a place where good players want to be.
Me too mate. Bullfrog did some dodgy shit but it’s been hard to compete with people like Politis these days. We’ll be back

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taken a bit to think about, taking into account we have some good coin, we need to spend but without going way over the top and utilizing some talent we have.

What I think could be “half” realistic with targets, and start us towards being competitive under a new coach would be-

1 Averillo

2 Smith

3 Hopoate

4 Staggs or Farnworth or DWZ

5 DWZ or Coates or Saab

6 Burton or Foran

7 Foran or Wakeham

8 To’Omaga

9 Grant or B Smith

10 Welch

11 Jackson

12 Bateman

13 Thompson

14 Wakeham

15 Elliot

16 Tolman

17 Napa

18 RFM

19 Stimson (Get him fit ffs!!!)

20 Ogden

21 Tass

22 Katoa (hooker)

23 Katoa (the young outside back we have)

The first name is my ideal team with all targets obtained. The names after are the back up plans.

I’d target a hooker / centre (if not, a good winger not on marquee dollars) / backrower / good honest prop. Also, a quality kid in the halves.

Fullback I’ve seen enough flair from Averillo to think that provided his defence is worked on and he bulls slightly more, he certainly has the game breaking and ball playing ability to have a good crack there.

I’d target the below in this order per position

+ Centre - Staggs then Farnworth. They can’t keep them all

+ Winger - if we don’t get a centre, then DWZ to centre and go first Coates then Saab. If we get a good centre then DWZ is a quality winger - not fullback! Also, between Staggs, Farnworth and Coates surely Broncos can’t keep them all.

+ Half - Burton. He’s a goer. If we can’t get him then it’s Wakeham. I reckon Wakeham could be a good 14 for the team. Chances are he would get a few games In The halves too with Foran’s record.

(( I think we must re sign a Foran for a cheaper deal. When he’s on, he’s our go to in the big moments))

+ backrow - Bateman.

+ front rower - Welch.

Thompson looks like he’d be a better lock.

The JMK and Lewis experiments are surely over now....

My 2 cents anyway....

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only it were that simple, the Cap is ~$9.9m, we have to have 30 players registered and the minimum is $120k. We can't simply have, say, 20 players registered and still spend the $9.9m. The average NRL salary is ~$330k and assembling a team is a balancing act of players above and below that average making up the 30. If I had to hazard a guess I would say 7 of the players you listed would be on less than the average, most on less than half that. In simple terms, we can't say let's not have 4 of those 7 and recruit 1 gun, strike, player instead because we must have 30 players. A brain teaser, for every player we recruit for $900k we would have to recruit 4 players at the $120k minimum in order to get the average back to ~$330k. Let's guess (it's only a guess) and say we have 3 players whose current year contract value adds up to ~$3m (we all can guess who they might be) that means we have to have 12 players on the minimum $120K. That's 15 players out of the compulsory 30, leaving only 15 more that also have to average ~$330k each.

Due to back ended contracts we have players on well above the average and equally well above what their current true worth is. To be fair to them they sacrificed salary early in their contracts and are now clawing that back. But when those contracts end this year then we won't need 12 minimum contract players to compensate and/or a whole bunch on below the NRL average.

Apologies if that makes anyone's brain ache but that is the Salary Cap Rubik's cube.
Go Dogs
It’s not a Rubik’s cube at all. It’s nothing more than a salaries and wages budget that anybody who’s been a senior manager can understand.
The fact is we have recruited duds that haven’t improved the team. We may or may not have players on backend we deals, unlike other sports you can’t see a player’s cap number.
I’ll ask you a simple question. Do you think we are paying Doorey and Topine the same as we are paying Britt? Who do you think is getting paid more between Meaney and Tass?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s not a Rubik’s cube at all. It’s nothing more than a salaries and wages budget that anybody who’s been a senior manager can understand.
The fact is we have recruited duds that haven’t improved the team. We may or may not have players on backend we deals, unlike other sports you can’t see a player’s cap number.
I’ll ask you a simple question. Do you think we are paying Doorey and Topine the same as we are paying Britt? Who do you think is getting paid more between Meaney and Tass?
Good way of facing up to the reality mate.

Cost appreciably more but not contributing appreciably more.

Very average recruitment and certainly no improvement.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hahaha. Netball is a great sport. It's easy on the eye and very entertaining when you got your money on it. You should try it!

On another note, have a look at your spelling and grammar. It's clear you need some kind of education!
I thought my spelling and grammar were quite good in comparison to the incoherent, mumbo jumbo that dribbles out of your mouth and down your chin. By the way, "when you got", should read when you've got. Apparently you're correcting errors with errors yourself. Comes from a stellar education I suppose..haha. If these are the best comments
you can come up with then you should take up watching netball and have a crack at a real dribble. You typify some of the clowns that haunt the Kennel that need to comment on something other than footy. May I suggest you ask your Mum for help with your next post. Surely she couldn't be as stupid as you and she would probably know how to construct a sentence.
Kind regards,
Your teacher

Last edited:

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought my spelling and grammar were quite good in comparison to the incoherent, mumbo jumbo that dribbles out of your mouth and down your chin. By the way, "when you got", should read when you've got. Apparently you're correcting errors with errors yourself. Comes from a stellar education I suppose..haha. If these are the best comments
you can come up with then you should take up watching netball and have a crack at a real dribble. You typify some of the clowns that haunt the Kennel that need to comment on something other than footy. May I suggest you ask your Mum for help with your next post. Surely she couldn't be as stupid as you and she would probably know how to construct a sentence.
Kind regards,
Your teacher
4 days later and you still want to argue...go away you Turkey.

If you can't handle being served back at then don't serve in the first place. It's not rocket science champ

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
4 days later and you still want to argue...go away you Turkey.

If you can't handle being served back at then don't serve in the first place. It's not rocket science champ
Typical pathetic response - short man syndrome liljohny ? A turkey, wow that's really giving it to me.
Try an argument based on logic next time - google may assist.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind some turkey mid wings

Thanks for the craving fellas

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical pathetic response - short man syndrome liljohny ? A turkey, wow that's really giving it to me.
Try an argument based on logic next time - google may assist.
Let's call it a day walker... No need for this rubbish.

FYI liljohny quite the opposite of my profile. I have zero concerns about handling myself.

Don't comment on my posts and I won't comment on yours.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score

FYI liljohny quite the opposite of my profile. I have zero concerns about handling myself.

Suits me fine little one. Most men with the syndrome generally have no concerns about handling themselves.
It's all about something to prove due to general inadequacies. Sometimes height, build,intellectual capacity can be responsible. Anyway, work on it.... to be a better man !
May I remind you that you started this interchange of tom foolery.

Don't cross my path again, as making you look stupid is purely sport.

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Suits me fine little one. Most men with the syndrome generally have no concerns about handling themselves.
It's all about something to prove due to general inadequacies. Sometimes height, build,intellectual capacity can be responsible. Anyway, work on it.... to be a better man !
May I remind you that you started this interchange of tom foolery.

Don't cross my path again, as making you look stupid is poorly sport.
Mate... only because I have read so many of them and I know you blokes have had a decent spat at each other but, @rwalker999 you just got the closest thing to a lets agree to disagree and move on than you could could hope for with @liljohny last post.. Dont you think?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taken a bit to think about, taking into account we have some good coin, we need to spend but without going way over the top and utilizing some talent we have.

What I think could be “half” realistic with targets, and start us towards being competitive under a new coach would be-

1 Averillo

2 Smith

3 Hopoate

4 Staggs or Farnworth or DWZ

5 DWZ or Coates or Saab

6 Burton or Foran

7 Foran or Wakeham

8 To’Omaga

9 Grant or B Smith

10 Welch

11 Jackson

12 Bateman

13 Thompson

14 Wakeham

15 Elliot

16 Tolman

17 Napa

18 RFM

19 Stimson (Get him fit ffs!!!)

20 Ogden

21 Tass

22 Katoa (hooker)

23 Katoa (the young outside back we have)

The first name is my ideal team with all targets obtained. The names after are the back up plans.

I’d target a hooker / centre (if not, a good winger not on marquee dollars) / backrower / good honest prop. Also, a quality kid in the halves.

Fullback I’ve seen enough flair from Averillo to think that provided his defence is worked on and he bulls slightly more, he certainly has the game breaking and ball playing ability to have a good crack there.

I’d target the below in this order per position

+ Centre - Staggs then Farnworth. They can’t keep them all

+ Winger - if we don’t get a centre, then DWZ to centre and go first Coates then Saab. If we get a good centre then DWZ is a quality winger - not fullback! Also, between Staggs, Farnworth and Coates surely Broncos can’t keep them all.

+ Half - Burton. He’s a goer. If we can’t get him then it’s Wakeham. I reckon Wakeham could be a good 14 for the team. Chances are he would get a few games In The halves too with Foran’s record.

(( I think we must re sign a Foran for a cheaper deal. When he’s on, he’s our go to in the big moments))

+ backrow - Bateman.

+ front rower - Welch.

Thompson looks like he’d be a better lock.

The JMK and Lewis experiments are surely over now....

My 2 cents anyway....
If the club and coach had half this vision we would be a competitive team for the next 5 years.

I’m fearing we will do something dumb :( I hope the club, board and ceo prove me wrong.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Imagine trying to use this as a defence for pay... Yes this doesn't help him but it's been pointed out here regularly that he continually picks the wrong 17 and waits like 30mins to make an interchange and doesn't even use his full amount of changes. He's shit simple as
Its only your opinion that he picks "the wrong 17". He is with these guys almost 24/7 and knows what they are doing.
Because its been "pointed out" on here doesnt mean much.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only it were that simple, the Cap is ~$9.9m, we have to have 30 players registered and the minimum is $120k. We can't simply have, say, 20 players registered and still spend the $9.9m. The average NRL salary is ~$330k and assembling a team is a balancing act of players above and below that average making up the 30. If I had to hazard a guess I would say 7 of the players you listed would be on less than the average, most on less than half that. In simple terms, we can't say let's not have 4 of those 7 and recruit 1 gun, strike, player instead because we must have 30 players. A brain teaser, for every player we recruit for $900k we would have to recruit 4 players at the $120k minimum in order to get the average back to ~$330k. Let's guess (it's only a guess) and say we have 3 players whose current year contract value adds up to ~$3m (we all can guess who they might be) that means we have to have 12 players on the minimum $120K. That's 15 players out of the compulsory 30, leaving only 15 more that also have to average ~$330k each.

Due to back ended contracts we have players on well above the average and equally well above what their current true worth is. To be fair to them they sacrificed salary early in their contracts and are now clawing that back. But when those contracts end this year then we won't need 12 minimum contract players to compensate and/or a whole bunch on below the NRL average.

Apologies if that makes anyone's brain ache but that is the Salary Cap Rubik's cube.
Go Dogs
It seems pretty simple to me.
Another huge problem with the Dogs-at LEAST twenty of our current top thirty hardly deserve the 120k minimum wage ( there is also development contracts which are less than the 120k allowed in the top thirty)
Whole thing is bizarre. Even when we got to two GF’s under Des I believe our roster was lucky to be top 8.