Official Round 6 - Bulldogs vs Sharks - Discussion Thread

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why was Wakeham binned?

If Goodwin didn’t push him to create the handbag throwing then it was play on

Ref says it’s a ‘dangerous tackle on report’ then mentioned to ruck infringement for slowing the play ...then bins him but technically that wasn’t a ruck infringement

Sharks score a try next set

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why was Wakeham binned?

If Goodwin didn’t push him to create the handbag throwing then it was play on

Ref says it’s a ‘dangerous tackle on report’ then mentioned to ruck infringement for slowing the play ...then bins him but technically that wasn’t a ruck infringement

Sharks score a try next set
It was for repeated infringements so if Wakeham's tackle was a isolated incident I don't think he would have been binned.

In saying that the ref hadn't called held and the tackle wasn't finished so Wakeham had every right to do what he did and shouldn't have been penalised.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What baffles me with our attack is we saw a beautifully designed and executed set play for Hoppa's first try. It was great footy so why can't we do that on a more consistent basis ?

That try alone shows the players are capable of much more then they are currently showing.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree, the other part of our game I don't understand is why we never push up in defence, always standing waiting to make a tackle.We give up field position so easily. There was a period in the game where they really pushed up and were aggressive, only lasted about 10 mins though. Just frustrates me, it should be a given all the time

Reactions: DT

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Crichton doesn't play tonight we win the game.
Rubbish.

Don't know what was up with our left side defense yesterday, but for two of those tries you had Foran, Avo, and Crichton trying to defend nearly half the field coming off their own line. RFM started the play next to the goal posts on both occasions. The only thing Crichton can change by being closer to the sideline is Cronulla scores closer to the posts. The defensive lapse started in the middle with players being to slow to push out and allow the 3 edge defenders to get across and close the sideline gap. Dunno why that is the case, but that is exactly what happened. There must be some reason we were so compressed.

Crichton meanwhile got more metres than any other back, and more post contact metres other than Hoppa. His intercept try basically happened because of the same issue mentioned above, except this time he did something about it, if he hadn't have it would have been another Sharks try.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
agree, the other part of our game I don't understand is why we never push up in defence, always standing waiting to make a tackle.We give up field position so easily. There was a period in the game where they really pushed up and were aggressive, only lasted about 10 mins though. Just frustrates me, it should be a given all the time
Fitness (lack thereof)

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Quite often when this is happening if you pay attention to the ref you'll find he's calling the tacklers out of the ruck really quickly, this means the defensive line isn't getting that extra half second or so to get onside, pause, and then rush up in defense. When the ref decides that the defensive team is being dominant and doesn't call off the tacklers, the defensive line speed is great.

Which is where refs need to stop trying to interpret the game and start calling the rules. You see it at the end of close matches too, the team in the lead is watched like a hawk, especially when they are defending in their own half. Fair enough, can't have teams cheating, but if you watch the Manly Canberra last five minutes, Manly tacklers are being called off really quickly, 6 agains are going to Canberra, and yet when Manly get the ball and go to run it out Canberra is way off side in defense several tackles in a row. Because the ref interprets the game in a way that makes Manly in that situation the prime suspect for indiscretions, he doesn't even notice Canberra blatant cheating.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, when I first heard of the 6 again rule I knew that it was intended to give the referees an even bigger opportunity to decide the game.
There were 2 massive 6 again calls last night. One was against Sue in about the 50th minute on the 4th tackle. We were on top after half time but they scored after the 6 again call to go ahead 10-6

The other one was against Foran on the last tackle when it was 16-12. Again they scored

I reckon the calls were both right though and they should have known better. In the end it probably cost us the game

The sin binning was rubbish though. Obvious square up from the one in the first half.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be honest, I saw nothing different today than what we have been dishing up most games this year. A lot of Nevilles on this site are quick to pick out certain players like Lewis for our problems But its not Lewis or Wakeham it doesn't really matter who you put in as Halfback. We have a weak roster across the park. This has been the case for a few years. The proof is seeing how well our ex-players are going. Most of which was said to be crap or too old to play NRL. Shit I saw Reynolds have a blinder the other night. Some of our promising youngsters could end up like Lichaa. Losing can mess with your mind.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be honest, I saw nothing different today than what we have been dishing up most games this year. A lot of Nevilles on this site are quick to pick out certain players like Lewis for our problems But its not Lewis or Wakeham it doesn't really matter who you put in as Halfback. We have a weak roster across the park. This has been the case for a few years. The proof is seeing how well our ex-players are going. Most of which was said to be crap or too old to play NRL. Shit I saw Reynolds have a blinder the other night. Some of our promising youngsters could end up like Lichaa. Losing can mess with your mind.
I thought we looked a little better shaped when we had the ball but Foran was missing a bit in attack and Wakeham would be conscious of the fact all eyes were on him for one reason or another. I do agree with the last part of your comments because the Morris brothers are on fire and Grub is keeping Benji out of the squad at the Tigers and has a good grubber close to the line.

Losing like winning is a mentality and I want to protect our young blokes, but Lichaa was his own worst enemy..

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100%...it was evident against the roosters that we were boys v men physically (and probably mentally) but our fitness and strength looks way way behind every other team I've seen anyway
Fitness (lack thereof)

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Even touch footy players can't keep up with the restarts lol.

It's a dog's breakfast just like us. The only reason the teams on top are there are present is because they were winners last year. It was always going to suit them mainly on winning habits and experience only. All the other teams our the thereabout teams were the struggle streets from last year. Fitness alone doesn't count.

I think the rule needs tweaking.
Yeh that, but it's actually even easier now for the ref to influence results. In the past a penalty didn't g'tee the team would score, but now if the refs give two or three repeat sets in a row, 9 times out of 10 the teams scores easy, touch footy style.
All the new rules that get introduced gives refs more control to influence results, especially the repeat set rule. If you get on the wrong side of the ref now more than ever you can basically put a Loss next to the result of the game.
Corrupt.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
KB hard
Yeh that, but it's actually even easier now for the ref to influence results. In the past a penalty didn't g'tee the team would score, but now if the refs give two or three repeat sets in a row, 9 times out of 10 the teams scores easy, touch footy style.
All the new rules that get introduced gives refs more control to influence results, especially the repeat set rule. If you get on the wrong side of the ref now more than ever you can basically put a Loss next to the result of the game.
Corrupt.