Craig Bellamy: Bulldogs prepare mega deal for Melbourne Storm coach

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think I remember reading that Bellamy is on a mil plus TPAs that I guesstimate are least 200k.
Could be off by as much as 20%.

so if we want him, truly want him, we gotta go gangsta and offer at minimum 1.5 mil +. You got to offer so much cash that it isn't even thinkable to stay.

I turned down an offer that was 50% more than I was getting and I regret it. The catch was it was a night role. But the point is there was enough doubt to stay. So you need to offer Craig enough to not cares bout the doubts.
So I say 1.5 mil from 2022 onward. Gives him one more year with his boy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Think of it from bellamy’s Perspective. $1.4 million a year, new challenge to cement his claim as the games best coach and some money to spend. I don’t see why anyone would say no to that.
What if Brisbane fire Seibold and offer him similar money or more? Who would he be more likely to choose? Brisbane who have a tonne of talent and where he's always wanted to coach or Canterbury to whom he has no affiliation?

Reactions: DT

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They have to pay put Seibold first
What if Brisbane fire Seibold and offer him similar money or more? Who would he be more likely to choose? Brisbane who have a tonne of talent and where he's always wanted to coach or Canterbury to whom he has no affiliation?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Broncos do have cash but Seibold would be due a monster pay out with more then 4 years left on his deal then they have to find the money for Bellamy. That could prove even too much of a expense even for them. The shit would hit the fan in a massive way if Brisbane punt Seibold there would be so many questions over why he was hired in the first place so to avoid that I think he’s safe for a while.

Last edited:

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starting to recall a similar reaction when it was rumoured Hasler was coming...and we know how that turned out...long way to go on a new coach at the moment but its sounding better daily

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bellamy would be a fool to go to Brisbane. That team is the Bulldogs 3 years ago with average players tied up for a couple seasons on big money so the ability for him to come in and build a solid roster needs time.

Coming to the dogs, he needs to be told it's his roster and the CEO/Board are purely there for negotiations.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just logged to TK...WOW !
Let's hope it happens, we all know it's The Telecrap reporting
Massive if it happens, we have the space for players in the cap if we sign him we will have the magnet !
For years I have been saying...What ever extra we may pay him we will save triple on players even more in the long term, in the beginning we need to buy young stars but must revert back to " BRED NOT BOUGHT system !!!
Interested in your opinion DinkumDog :grinning:
For me mate it’s struggling to pass the smell test. As others have pointed out the source of the article but the other two things that leapt out:

1) Why would existing sponsors tip in an extra mil? How do they get this supposed investment back?

2) The Storm allegedly not standing in Bellyache’s way ‘due to his achievements in Melbourne’ - first they would want to be compensated for letting him go a year early and it leaves them a pretty short runway to find another coach for 2021.

No doubt the coaching is being discussed and there’s various things on the boil, but this - large grain of salt for me at this point. We’ll see.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Struggling Canterbury are preparing a shock multi-million dollar offer to sign Melbourne Storm super coach Craig Bellamy.

It is a deal that would stun rugby league.

The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal an offer would span two seasons — possibly three — before Bellamy would then help implement a transition plan for a new coach at Belmore.

It is understood the club has sought extra financial support from up to four existing club sponsors to help sign Bellamy, although club officials deny this move.

Those sponsors would be prepared to inject a combined total of around $1 million — outside of their sponsorship agreements — to sign Bellamy, who would earn between $1.2 million and $1.4 million a season.

Rival clubs are aware of Canterbury’s interest in Bellamy, who would start at the Bulldogs next season if a deal can be struck.

Canterbury’s board meets next week.

Sources have told The Daily Telegraph that Canterbury and Bellamy have directly spoken twice but the club has denied this.

Well-placed sources also say senior Bulldogs officials are heavily involved in the push for Bellamy.

There is no suggestion an offer has been made or that Bellamy wants to leave Melbourne. But interest is there from Canterbury and Bellamy would be told he has money to spend on a new roster.

Bellamy could be one of 12 candidates the club would sound out. The new coach would be expected to rework and revamp the playing roster.

One prominent Sydney club heard yesterday that Canterbury were looking at Wayne Bennett as a coaching coordinator but that would appear highly unlikely.

While no formal decision has been reached by Canterbury’s restless board, the odds are lengthening that current coach Dean Pay, who is off contract after this season, would be re-signed.

With an appetite for change, Bulldogs officials have noted Bellamy’s undoubted credentials including his on and off field success, undeniable reputation, immense pulling power and successful talent identification.

Bellamy remains signed with Melbourne until the end of next season but the club would not prevent an early release given his sustained achievements at the Storm.

Those close to Bellamy 60, suggest he may be searching for a new challenge, particularly if his loyal lieutenant, Cameron Smith, decides to retire after this season.

A failure to attract high-profile players in recent years has frustrated the Bulldogs. While Canterbury often play with their traditional grit, fans continue to lament a weak spine.

Canterbury is well aware Bellamy would seek a massive financial contract but the Bulldogs are desperate, having not won a premiership since 2004 and have missed the finals for the past three seasons.

Should Bellamy switch clubs, Canterbury would instantly become an attractive location for any player coming off contract. Canterbury’s 1200 influential football club members are craving a big scalp.

Friends believe Bellamy always felt he may one day end up coaching Brisbane, but that possibility has now ended with Anthony Seibold having signed at Red Hill until the end of 2023.

It is unanimously accepted that Pay is coaching an inferior roster – an issue which may frighten any prospective coach.

Should Bellamy sign with Canterbury, many feel that Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr – given an early release after this season - may join him.

Bellamy has coached Melbourne since 2003, his winning success rate sitting at an extraordinary 68.7 percent.

Last year he collected his fifth Dally M coach of the year award.

Respected and well-liked, Pay had his contract extended by one season last year.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/2f2032591f4691cc648db5d8a0aade5a
Just read these pertinent points from the article, and make up your mind whether it is just more fake news from the Murdoch stable:

It is understood the club has sought extra financial support from up to four existing club sponsors to help sign Bellamy, although club officials deny this move.

Sources have told The Daily Telegraph that Canterbury and Bellamy have directly spoken twice but the club has denied this.

There is no suggestion an offer has been made or that Bellamy wants to leave Melbourne.

Bellamy could be one of 12 candidates the club would sound out.

grunta

= dOgGyStYlE =
Reaction score
Hey DT... I hit you up in another post,but got no reoly! You mentioned that pay will not be head coach of the bulldogs next year... How true is this? Have you heard from a credible source? Or is it just your opinion? Any inside info is much appreciated
Starting to recall a similar reaction when it was rumoured Hasler was coming...and we know how that turned out...long way to go on a new coach at the moment but its sounding better daily

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Gould reckons it's fake news and not happening.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould reckons it's fake news and not happening.
The fact that it's leaked says it's not happening to me usually these things are kept secret until the deal is done.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Broncos do have cash but Seibold would be due a monster pay out with more then 4 years left on his deal then they have to find the money for Bellamy. That could prove even too much of a expense even for them. The shit would hit the fan in a massive way if Brisbane punt Seibold there would be so many questions over why he was hired in the first place so to avoid that I think he’s safe for a while.
Maybe.. But I can't see Seibold lasting til the end of the season let alone four more years. The Broncos greats wanted him gone last year and now they're even more agitated with the Broncos becoming even more of a rabble. Why they ever signed Seibold to such a long term is anyone's guess.

Like you said, if anyone could afford the payout they could.. And if they hire a replacement, they'll likely go for broke and hire someone established like Bellamy to become a contender again.

So it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd love to be wrong and for Bellamy to come to Belmore. But we're also assuming he wants to leave. There's a strong chance Melbourne pay him more to stay and extend him.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I don't think it will happen, because as I understand it, Bellamy was set to retire once all of his precious big 3 were gone. Smith retires at the end of this year, meaning Bellamy will most likely retire.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that it's leaked says it's not happening to me usually these things are kept secret until the deal is done.
Or it is already done and we have leaked it, to let off-contract players and managers know

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For me it’s not all about the money. Bellyache has only held 2 senior coaching gigs. He was unsuccessful as NSW coach, and although he’s been hugely successful as Storm coach he’s done it with once in a generation players in key positions and some dodgy accounting. If he truly wants to be held in the highest calibre of coaches in the history of the game he needs to turn a club from the bottom to the top. And we’re the perfect fit, a shit show with a war chest. Come to the Dogs Craig, win a premiership within 3 years and prove beyond all doubt that you’re one of the greatest coaches of all time!