Opinion What the Bulldogs really need immediately!

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In the modern game to have success across a decade you need no salary cap (Storm & Roosters)

Unless our management is going to find a way to get around the cap and keep the books away from the NRL then we are in for a slow rebuild.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We need some left field thinking that's for sure. There's a couple of good footy club brains there. But I'd still start with the coach myself. I never like those positions that oversee coaches (if that's what you mean), especially for an ego like Gould's. His ego at Penrith led him to sack Griffin when the club was on track for finals, possibly top 4. He's good as a sort of front man - getting sponsors, putting good junior pathways in place etc, so give him that job if he wants, but keep him away from the football team (unless perhaps he wants the coach job himself). IMO if the coach isn't good enough, just get a good one. A coach with some creativity and innovation would be a good start.
Agreed, but that’s why I said appoint him as football director to give his input into selecting a new coach yet have zero input into coaching. He needs to stay away from that hense why his tenure at the Panthers was cut short, too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'd like to explore actions that may actually happen :grinning:

Gus got dudded. Won a GF with us and knew he'd be dumped next season...you'd be salty as well under those circumstances.

If the club hung onto grudges, out goes Pay, Dimmock, SBW in our team of the century, and the list goes on.

Management must do whats best for the club...not cut noses off to spite etc etc.

Its clear that we have absolutely no influence at NRL HQ. Long gone are the Bullfrog's days. You need that influence.

We have a light weight Board and coach who would not be invited onto a rules/coaches committee in a month of Sundays. We are media targets and therefore ref targets. We have had very little success in recruitment for several years of players who could make any meaningful difference. There are all kinds of reasons why but clearly it is just not the salary cap troubles.

Under all of the those circumstances above, we are in no man's land atm.

Probably Gus would be the only possible answer to help work on fixing all those issues and could influence players, sponsors and coaches to take us on.

It would be of tremendous help to the fan base as well to see someone of his stature in the game draw up a new plan for our future.

There are so many facets to being successful on and off the field and it's fair to say no one at our Club presently has that range of experience and capability.

Unfortunately we don't appear to have the foresight, of even the Dragons, to ask so it won't happen.
I don't believe in hanging on to grudges, but I could write a book on remarks made by Gould some no more than 3-4 years ago which clearly indicate a deep seated hatred for our club.
Also I would bet anything that his love is now the Rotters, they have a stack of multi millionaires supporting the club as well as been the darlings of Ch9, and from my personal experience, they hate two clubs us and the rabbits, lets not forget that he has a massive ego. Are you sure that he does not carry grudges, because if he does it would be like putting the fox in the chicken coup.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Boy O boy some have short memories, following the SL war and for many years after, Gould made many comments designed to do as much harm to our club as he could, and to promote the rotters, probably because the rotters and Politis had a lot of money (which might be useful if you get into trouble gambling).
Yes, lately his hate for us appears to have mellowed, but I believe its because we are now a basket case, he will never never ever be loyal to us ahead of the Rotters Politis and Ch9.
To turn things around for our club what we need to do is to put a bomb under the NRL and CH9. and start all over again.
Such an insightful and productive retort, so when will you be receiving the noble prize? What a positive and optimistic mind you have there mate!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I meant to ad we can forget about Shaun Wane as head coach, we don’t need an unproven in NRL Pommy coaching us.
two of the four greats coaches in our game were straight out of England.
Trent R and Michael Maguire. Both got premierships in their first couple of seasons.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
two of the four greats coaches in our game were straight out of England.
Trent R and Michael Maguire. Both got premierships in their first couple of seasons.
Very true, and both are Australians!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such an insightful and productive retort, so when will you be receiving the noble prize? What a positive and optimistic mind you have there mate!
Mate I've been around along time and have seen things that you haven't, (I accept that you too have seen things that I haven't). I do not shy away from the truth no matter how unpopular it might be, I only post what I believe is true, if you know that something I have posted is false please point it out, and tell me what the truth is, I'll be looking forward to your true facts.
BTW you will never get very far believing lies.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Boy O boy some have short memories, following the SL war and for many years after, Gould made many comments designed to do as much harm to our club as he could, and to promote the rotters, probably because the rotters and Politis had a lot of money (which might be useful if you get into trouble gambling).
Yes, lately his hate for us appears to have mellowed, but I believe its because we are now a basket case, he will never never ever be loyal to us ahead of the Rotters Politis and Ch9.
To turn things around for our club what we need to do is to put a bomb under the NRL and CH9. and start all over again.
Do us all a favor and site these so called comments “designed to do as much harm to our club” or at least recite to your best possible recolection! I’m trying to do my best by creating a thread which focuses on positive outcomes to help our club move forward and I’ve been listening to Goulds commentary since the 90’s and have heard nothing negative come from him towards our club which I can condemn him with! So if you’ve heard the opposite please comment on it to your best recolection or at least souce it directly from him. If you cant then it just comes off as you have a grudge against him simply for pledging allegiance to the Rorters for a brief time!