Opinion Shaun Wane for coach?

Would you be hapy with Shaun Wane as coach?

• yes

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • no

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • don't know

Votes: 18 33.3%

• Total voters

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its not too dissimilar to basketballers all over the world trying to get into the NBA or playing in the EPL... you aspire to play where the best leagues are which have the best coaches.

Most Rugby League players want to play in Australia and for a Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy... but I stand to be corrected, just my opinion.
I get your comparison, but comparing the NBA to say the NBL, is like comparing the EPL to APL (Australian soccer?) in australia. Massive gap in quality.
Super league is not as far behind the NRL as we like to think. We also have the advantage here of having a massive amount of Polynesian in our sport. Imagine if you removed them from our comp. No Ponga, RTS, Taumalolo, JWH, Fafita, Pangai Jr., Staggs, Holmes, Frizzel, the list goes on and on!!!
They play an exciting brand of football, they just struggle against Australia internationally.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If the ESL was playing under the same rules as here I would say yes. But they ain't. The game has changed heaps.

Might be a good move for a club like the Warriors who need a different style.

I'd look at the Roosters coaching tree. Adam O'Brian is doing well at Newcastle. Maybe we go after Craig Fitzgibbon before the Dragons finally decide enough is enough and take him.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He had 24 wins from. 96 games and the players ended up turning on him, doesn't exactly scream great management. We're supposed to have been through our rebuild and on the hunt for either an experience established coach, or someone highly touted like fitzgibbon

Plus The fact that we have money would be an appealing prospect for several out of work coaches (eg toovey, griffin)

Much better than Brown imo.
We are meant to be in a rebuild, but I don't see any significant upside yet. Recuitment seems based on hope, loyalty and price...with little regard for talent. Selections, well I don't know what thats based on...tarot cards?

I was looking at the Knights squad from the beginning to end of Browns reign. The squad were with him, and it was him that got so much talent there. The implosion at the end wasn't great tho, I agree.

Griffin would do a similar rebuild job, although I'm not sure if he was much of a player manager himself. Please...no more Manly royalty.

Gus now has his player manager ticket, so there's no chance he will coach.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shane Warne? What would he know about rugby league?

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought the title said "Shane Warne for coach?"

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We are meant to be in a rebuild, but I don't see any significant upside yet.
We aren't into the "rebuilding" stage, that requires Salary Cap space which we don't have until 2021.

seems based on hope, loyalty and price...with little regard for talent.
Quality player recruitment is based on budget (Cap space) which we don't have (until next year).

Selections, well I don't know what thats based on...tarot cards?
Your opinion, which you are fully entitled to, but ask 10/20/30 on here and you will get 10/20/30 differing opinions on selections with everyone claiming that they alone have the right selection.

Go Dogs

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We aren't into the "rebuilding" stage, that requires Salary Cap space which we don't have until 2021.

Quality player recruitment is based on budget (Cap space) which we don't have (until next year).

Your opinion, which you are fully entitled to, but ask 10/20/30 on here and you will get 10/20/30 differing opinions on selections with everyone claiming that they alone have the right selection.

Go Dogs

this rhetoric of we need to buy players to solve problems is a cop out and shows the incompetence of dean pay.

chuck Dean Pay into the roosters and I'm sure he would steer them to a top 4 finish... but you can really tell the measure of a man when pressure is applied...

dean is responsible for -
*game plan
*player selections
*player positions
*assistant coaches
*fitness & conditioning

these are all basic shit that does NOT affect the salary which he is failing. now you want to buy elite player to come into an underperforming program. that's just pure insanity. We will only get mercenaries that are here for the cash....

And people to give Pay another to see what he do with mercenaries

cuckoo, cuckoo

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
this rhetoric of we need to buy players to solve problems is a cop out and shows the incompetence of dean pay.

chuck Dean Pay into the roosters and I'm sure he would steer them to a top 4 finish... but you can really tell the measure of a man when pressure is applied...

*game plan
*player selections
*player positions
*assistant coaches
*fitness & conditioning

these are all basic shit that does NOT affect the salary which he is failing. now you want to buy elite player to come into an underperforming program. that's just pure insanity. We will only get mercenaries that are here for the cash....

cuckoo, cuckoo
Don't forget bench rotation.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have zero idea about this coach Wane but these quotes already sound 100% better than Dean pays excuses

“I know what George is capable of. I got asked a question by an Australian journalist, and I would be putting pressure on George for better performances if it were in Super League.”
“The commentators in Australia at weekend were talking about George Williams, Ryan Sutton and Elliott Whitehead, but I know what they can do and they can do better,” he said

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I haven't actually counted them but I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky Stuart currently has more English players than Bennet and Bellamy combined.

Go Dogs
Exactly, and the point is, an increase in English players testing themselves in Australia learning from the best player and coaching pool in rugby league.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

*game plan
*player selections
*player positions
*assistant coaches
*fitness & conditioning

cuckoo, cuckoo
Cuckoo, cuckoo... Mind went straight to the Simpsons when Bart's in special class lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mate, not at all. He is totally absorbed by the game and I can promise you he is no less informed now than 2 years ago. If anything watching from his position in the media he has a broader perspective.
Once you are infected by anything in life it’s a sickness you can’t shake. To be fair I have only put him forward as a circuit breaker, same as Gould.

Bringing in someone with cred in some capacity can only help with our spend of the war chest....
Good to see you've joined the team Baz ...tough one but had to be done ;)