Opinion Shaun Wane for coach?

Would you be hapy with Shaun Wane as coach?

• yes

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • no

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • don't know

Votes: 18 33.3%

• Total voters

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just read an article on fox sports about the english players at the raiders, and Shaun Wane's opinion of them and how they are doing.
Wane basically says that he knows just how good they are, and in fact, he thinks they are capable of a lot more.
The article ends with a quote from him basically stating that not matter how well his players play, he always wants and expects more from them.

"Without being awkward I'm not ever really happy with anybody and i want the players to be the same.
"I don't want them walking of the paddock patting themselves on the back, I want them to walk off no matter how they've played looking at improving.
"I'll never walk around patting players on the back - I'll encourage them, say well done, but ask what's next and how do we need to improve. That's the attitude I want from English players." (He is also England's coach).

This is the type of coach we need to get ourselves back to the top again. I'm not a Pay hater, and i still wish him all the best for this year and his coaching career, but I'm struggling to understand some of his methods, and I'm not seeing a great improvement from the squad, regardless of the shit hand he was dealt etc.
What do you all think??

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind wane, he can bring the best English players with him

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep 100% he's my pic!
With Phil Gould as a advisor for the club.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has been in the media a lot over here lately, defenitely get the feeling he's pushing for a head job here.
He has already come out and said that he would love to coach in the Nrl.
He has coached Thompson,Bateman and Hodgson in the same team.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be a massive risk . Never coached or been an assistant in NRL before . Jackson Hastings carves it up in super league so that should tell you how different it is

I would consider offering him an assistant role though . That might be enough to attract some English players .

The head coaching role for next year is a massive decision . No idea what they will do

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has been in the media a lot over here lately, defenitely get the feeling he's pushing for a head job here.
Without doubt. He said he wants to coach here, and i think he would be a real breath of fresh air. He would bring new ideas from the different style of football they play over there, and he would certainly have some sway when it comes to signing English talent.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only positive would be that he won't be attached to the politics of the head office. Other than that......i don't want rookies.
Would be a massive risk . Never coached or been an assistant in NRL before . Jackson Hastings carves it up in super league so that should tell you how different it is

I would consider offering him an assistant role though . That might be enough to attract some English players .

The head coaching role for next year is a massive decision . No idea what they will do

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t know enough about him to really make a call either way. Aren’t Wigan pretty much the Roosters of England with endless funds? He does bring a lot of experience which is a massive plus.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I thought that said shane warne for coach

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
would not be the worst idea looks like a bit of a hard ass coach and has a good knowledge of the english stock. Even if he remains the england coach it would not worry me anythings better then what we have need to piss of the assistants too they do nothing to help either

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t know enough about him to really make a call either way. Aren’t Wigan pretty much the Roosters of England with endless funds? He does bring a lot of experience which is a massive plus.
They have had some very good teams over the years, but I'm not sure about the roosters comparison.
I think it would be a bold move to make him coach, but we could do worse.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They have had some very good teams over the years, but I'm not sure about the roosters comparison.
I think it would be a bold move to make him coach, but we could do worse.
Yeah he’s definitely a option and wouldn’t rule him out at all. It would be a good pipeline to get the cream of the crop of poms over here. I’m just terrified of getting the wrong man for the job in if Pay gets the bullet. I’d prefer him to someone like Griffen or Bennett.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah he’s definitely a option and wouldn’t rule him out at all. It would be a good pipeline to get the cream of the crop of poms over here. I’m just terrified of getting the wrong man for the job in if Pay gets the bullet. I’d prefer him to someone like Griffen or Bennett.
Do people honestly believe that their is a worse option out there then Dean Pay??

I’d try one of those cardboard cutouts for next weeks game if it meant Pay resigned tomorrow. I’m backing the cutout to use the interchange better ...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do people honestly believe that their is a worse option out there then Dean Pay??

I’d try one of those cardboard cutouts for next weeks game if it meant Pay resigned tomorrow. I’m backing the cutout to use the interchange better ...
Yeah that’s not the question though. Being a better coach then Pay is setting the bar extremely low. The club can’t afford to mess it up if they pull the pin on him.