Working from home - yay or nay?

Would you prefer to working from home more or less once the Covid-19 pandemic is over?

• Total voters

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Over the past few months, more of us have had to work from home with the Covid-19 outbreak. All it's really required is an internet connection and telephone, things we all have. There have been many positives that come with working from home, such as a nice, cosy sleep-in (especially in winter), not needing to commute on public transport, not needing to pay for the commute, and wearing whatever you want, and eating whenever you want.

Along with the positives come the negatives. Paying for your work requirements - electricity, internet etc, lack of office equipment, desks, chairs etc, the feeling of isolation, and something else I've noticed... it's pretty damn cold at home with no office a/c available.

Having said that, if it came to working one way or another, would you prefer working from home or going into the office?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I only occasionally worked from home during the whole thing. Still spent most of my time in the office or running laps around the city.

I don't think I could do a full work from home thing. I prefer home to be my relaxation place. Any work I currently do from home just never feels right.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I prefer a balance 50/50 which is what I do now. Always good to have that flexibility also in terms of the office equipment, internet usage, electricity etc.. all tax-deductable.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But if I had to choose, probably work for many reasons
1. getaway from the missus
2. getaway from the kids
3. getaway from doing house work
4. getaway to keep sane
5. getaway so i can play xbox in peace
6. socialize with other humans
7. routine

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
3 months at home so far... at some point I’ll miss the office but if you have a space at home you don’t utilise and that becomes your office it’s all good.. saves travel..

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
it depends if there are good looking women at work

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
it depends if there are good looking women at work
Yep, that's the answer. Our work kept running throughout this whole pandemic. Travel is shit, that is the major hassle with work. Having nice birds to gawk at is the upside!

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 years to retirement and I would never set foot in the office again if I had my way.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think after all this, it would be a complete waste if we all went back to work and learned nothing from it.

My organisation for example is doing the best it's ever done with all staff working from home. Imagine the additional money saved if we didnt rent 4 CBD office locations.

For me I've enjoyed this new balance. I sleep more, I spend less, my work is more about quality rather than quantity and I just dont feel like I'm wasting time in my day anymore.

If we could keep things as they are right now I'd be bloody happy.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's a big difference too between working from home voluntarily and being forced to work from home.

I WFH for about 4 years when i had my solo practice. But I had a separate working area. Those who know houses in QLD will know many have granny flats or rumpus areas underneath. So when Mrs Cd left for work, i would also lock up the house, go downstairs, unlock my office I(basically a self contained granny flat), and worked from there all day. When Mrs CD came home, I locked up, and went upstairs. It was nice to have the backyard for a view and the dog for company.

But nowadays i'm in a team environment, and, WFH, is quite frankly, just not as efficient. If you work in an environment where sharing of ideas is important, its good to be together. But as a group we now have the flexibility to WFH occasionally.

I moved house last year, and our new place has a large home office, big enough for both of us to have space to work. It would be really hard for people who live in apartments or in house-shares. Many people in these situations would be forced to work in their bedrooms or at noisy dining tables. This would be shit, as, in my view, you need some separation between your work and your non-work life, no matter how much you love your job. We are lucky in Australia compared to most of the world, where, even in cities we mostly live in relatively large houses. My friends in European and Asian cities, in apartments, and with genuine lockdowns, struggled.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think after all this, it would be a complete waste if we all went back to work and learned nothing from it.

My organisation for example is doing the best it's ever done with all staff working from home. Imagine the additional money saved if we didnt rent 4 CBD office locations.

For me I've enjoyed this new balance. I sleep more, I spend less, my work is more about quality rather than quantity and I just dont feel like I'm wasting time in my day anymore.

If we could keep things as they are right now I'd be bloody happy.
That's true. I mean I save 2 hours a day on commuting (1 hr each way), and save on using the train. I estimate I've saved about $350 or so on not having to use the train so far. I love working in my trackies, hoodies, and uggies, sleeping in for an extra 90 mins, even having a nice little nap after lunch (10 mins eating, 30 mins walking, 20 mins sleeping).

I miss the friendly social chatter in the office though. I try to make up for that by calling people from time to time.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's true. I mean I save 2 hours a day on commuting (1 hr each way), and save on using the train. I estimate I've saved about $350 or so on not having to use the train so far. I love working in my trackies, hoodies, and uggies, sleeping in for an extra 90 mins, even having a nice little nap after lunch (10 mins eating, 30 mins walking, 20 mins sleeping).

I miss the friendly social chatter in the office though. I try to make up for that by calling people from time to time.
Stuff the trackies! I go pants-less most of the time!