Our squad and what we have to recruit to be a top 8 team

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
General consensus on here is that we need to replace a lot of the players. I agree with that.
So how on earth can any coach win games with players of that quality?

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
01. Jake Averillo
02. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
03. Will Hopoate
04. Stephen Crichton
05. Reimis Smith
06. Cameron Munster (1.2 mil)
07. Brandon Wakeham
08. Christian Welch
09. Reed Mahoney/Harry Grant
10. Luke Thompson
11. Josh Jackson
12. Jamil Hopoate/Adam Elliott
13. Adam Elliott/John Asiata

14. Lewis (capable backup for most positions)
15. Renouf To'omaga
16. Dylan Napa
17. Britt/Stimson

Would require us to sign Stephen Crichton, Cameron Munster (long shot), Reed Mahoney/Harry Grant, Christian Welch and either Jamil Hopoate or John Asiata.

It would demonstrate such poor leadership if we don't go hard for Munster. I would argue he is the best player in the comp.

Coach: Anthony Griffin or Wayne Bennett

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s no reason we can’t turn it around instantly with the right recruits and coach, look at 09 season
That’s the thing we are in a similar position to then, lacking quality players in the spine, backline and upfront.

Ennis was 24 and on the rise.

Josh Morris similar.

Kimmorley was at the back end of his career but a seasoned vet.

Hannant, Hodgson and Stagg were good first graders. They brought a good culture with them and fit right in. 5 of those players had played or went on to play origin. Stagg, Hannant and Ennis came from the broncos.

Bryson Goodwin was a plodder, arrived that year but somehow played for new zealand.

Idris got rookie of the year in 2009 and somehow played for australia and nsw.

Looking at the off contract list I can’t see quality there. We needed to recruit quality players last year for 21. Instead we stocked up on plodders like Britt, Stimson and that other guy.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mentioned his name before and I'll keep mentioning it. Sharks winger S.Katoa... one of the leading tackle breakers in the game ATM. Quality finisher with speed and strength, be stupid to let this one slip. They signed McDonald and have Mulitalo, he'd be so easy to take off them.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
General consensus on here is that we need to replace a lot of the players. I agree with that.
So how on earth can any coach win games with players of that quality?
Imagine trying to use this as a defence for pay... Yes this doesn't help him but it's been pointed out here regularly that he continually picks the wrong 17 and waits like 30mins to make an interchange and doesn't even use his full amount of changes. He's shit simple as

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Second week in a row now that J.Hughes hasn't been named in storms 17. Definately worth chasing. Gives us the option of running a pretty balanced backline and halves pairing should Foran not be extended.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is my latest creation.
Only using players off contract or reported to be breaking contract early.

1. Averillo
2. DWZ
3. Hopoate
4. +Cotric
5. Reimis
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. +Welch
9. +Grant/Friend
10. +Thompson
11. +Fifita/Bateman
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. JMK
15. To'omaga
16. Napa
17. Smith

Spine
Averillo, Foran, Wakeham, +Grant/Friend

Backs
DWZ, Hopoate, +Cotric, Reimis

Forwards
+Welch, +Thompson, +Fifita/Bateman, Jackson, Elliott

Bench
JMK, To'omaga, Napa, Smith

If Averillo isn't ready for fullback Averillo and Hopoate are interchangeable.

This team would be expected to make the eight. I'd be ecstatic with this team.

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my latest creation.
Only using players off contract or reported to be breaking contract early.

1. Averillo
2. DWZ
3. Hopoate
4. +Cotric
5. Reimis
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. +Welch
9. +Grant/Friend
10. +Thompson
11. +Fifita/Bateman
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. JMK
15. To'omaga
16. Napa
17. Smith

Spine
Averillo, Foran, Wakeham, +Grant/Friend

Backs
DWZ, Hopoate, +Cotric, Reimis

Forwards
+Welch, +Thompson, +Fifita/Bateman, Jackson, Elliott

Bench
JMK, To'omaga, Napa, Smith

If Averillo isn't ready for fullback Averillo and Hopoate are interchangeable.

This team would be expected to make the eight. I'd be ecstatic with this team.
agreed, that would be a decent team

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't have the time to scribe an essay. If you can't join the dots better head back to kindergarten champ
You know what I like about non descript people like you - nothing. Lets face it, you would need to write an essay and an equivalent sized War and Peace to describe what you are trying to get communicate. I thing its poor to desrribe a post as kindergarten based for one, we are Bulldogs and for two, such poor use of argument is as, lets face it, pretty poor champ. Stick to something constructive and polite or go and join netball where everyone will know your bite is far less than your bite. Grow up bubba !

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. Dwz
3. Cotric/ Naden (seems to be left out)
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Foran (best that’s on the market atm
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. Grant
10. Thompson
11. Bateman
12. Jacko
13. Elliot

14. To omaga
15. Napa
16. Molo
17.Rfm

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what I like about non descript people like you - nothing. Lets face it, you would need to write an essay and an equivalent sized War and Peace to describe what you are trying to get communicate. I thing its poor to desrribe a post as kindergarten based for one, we are Bulldogs and for two, such poor use of argument is as, lets face it, pretty poor champ. Stick to something constructive and
You know what I like about non descript people like you - nothing. Lets face it, you would need to write an essay and an equivalent sized War and Peace to describe what you are trying to get communicate. I thing its poor to desrribe a post as kindergarten based for one, we are Bulldogs and for two, such poor use of argument is as, lets face it, pretty poor champ. Stick to something constructive and polite or go and join netball where everyone will know your bite is far less than your bite. Grow up bubba !
Hahaha. Netball is a great sport. It's easy on the eye and very entertaining when you got your money on it. You should try it!

On another note, have a look at your spelling and grammar. It's clear you need some kind of education!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're not 3 years into a rebuild. We've had no salary cap room besides the money we've spent on Napa and DWZ. Napa was a terrible mistake.
If we had no cap room we should have made no signings outside of DWZ and just promoted within: how do you explain these signings?
In 2019 we signed Cogger, Meaney, Sue, C Smith, CHN, Crichton & Napa.
That’s a lot of players for a team with no cap room?
This year we signed Britt, Katoa and Stimson.
It’s time to call out the fact we keep recruiting duds. We might not have funds to sign superstars like Ponga but continuing to recruit average players puts pressure on the cap too

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we had no cap room we should have made no signings outside of DWZ and just promoted within: how do you explain these signings?
It’s time to call out the fact we keep recruiting duds. We might not have funds to sign superstars like Ponga but continuing to recruit average players puts pressure on the cap too
Exactly right. And it’s that exact thing the pay/Anderson love boys don’t see.

if we were that fucked then promote within. Get 30 games into the averillos, the wakemans, the toomagas, the ogdens. Give them consistent games and mins. So when 2020 comes you know if they can play top level or not. We did it with JMK and we know he isn’t capable.

That way you have a clear idea that ok these guys aren’t cut out for it. Let’s look at other options.

By bringing in Britt, Stimpson, Crichton, Napa, Katoa etc we lost the chance to develop the up and comers. Give them a taste of nrl and harden then up so when we do get some half decent talent around them they have the experience to shine.

Instead we got in plodders, we played badly, and still finished at the bottom of the table. And we still have unearthed no talent that is nrl ready. Have no one game changing in line for 2021 (apart from LT). Instead of focusing on junior development And smart acquisitions like the knights, we did 6 of one and half dozen of the other. And we have no quality nrl players (apart from hoppa, zelezniak and Foran) no nrl ready and capable juniors, and we aren’t 2-3 quality nrl players away from a title. It actually seems we are about 10 away from being competitive.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long can Jacko go on clogging up an edge spot. Most of his good runs come up the middle anyway, even when he's playing on the edge, and he's great at stiffening up the middle in defence. So what if he needs to be subbed for 20 minutes a game - I'd rather 60 strong minutes at lock. To be fair, with Elliott's good form and the loss of CHN and Stimson, it's harder to move him now, but for me he's a middle forward or nothing from next year.

The spine is most important to fix - hooker, 5/8 and fullback (Wakeham at half). To me Foran looks physically stronger than I've seen him for a long time (could be fools gold). He's still a bit unfit, but he's doing everything, just at a slightly slower pace than before. We need his involvement to lift as he gets match fit, but if he plays out the season strongly he's worth a crack at a much reduced fee. Otherwise Averillo could be tried at 5/8 or fullback. Dummy half is probably the biggest gap. We just need the ball moving bang/bang through the hands of dummy half and first receiver when it's on, not loopdy-loop like we get now.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that Ogden is trash. He was so lazy in defence tonight after 10 mins.
Hasn't had much game time to be fair so must be down on match fitness.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If only it were that simple, the Cap is ~$9.9m, we have to have 30 players registered and the minimum is $120k. We can't simply have, say, 20 players registered and still spend the $9.9m. The average NRL salary is ~$330k and assembling a team is a balancing act of players above and below that average making up the 30. If I had to hazard a guess I would say 7 of the players you listed would be on less than the average, most on less than half that. In simple terms, we can't say let's not have 4 of those 7 and recruit 1 gun, strike, player instead because we must have 30 players. A brain teaser, for every player we recruit for $900k we would have to recruit 4 players at the $120k minimum in order to get the average back to ~$330k. Let's guess (it's only a guess) and say we have 3 players whose current year contract value adds up to ~$3m (we all can guess who they might be) that means we have to have 12 players on the minimum $120K. That's 15 players out of the compulsory 30, leaving only 15 more that also have to average ~$330k each.

Due to back ended contracts we have players on well above the average and equally well above what their current true worth is. To be fair to them they sacrificed salary early in their contracts and are now clawing that back. But when those contracts end this year then we won't need 12 minimum contract players to compensate and/or a whole bunch on below the NRL average.

Apologies if that makes anyone's brain ache but that is the Salary Cap Rubik's cube.
Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasn't had much game time to be fair so must be down on match fitness.
There's way more to it than that. Every player has agreed (between them and the trainers) fitness benchmarks that they have to hit (including their playing weight).

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There's way more to it than that. Every player has agreed (between them and the trainers) fitness benchmarks that they have to hit (including their playing weight).

Go Dogs
Staff to blame as much as the player. That's what makes the difference.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Staff to blame as much as the player. That's what makes the difference.
What are you suggesting? That the staff whip them regularly to make sure that they train hard? Stick with them 24/7 to ensure that they stick to their diet as prescribed by the nutritionist? Lock the fridge door to stop the midnight snacks? The benchmarks are agreed and the player has to take the responsibility for meeting them.

Some on here make a big negative of Elliott doing his own additional training, but what it shows to me is that he did everything in his power to not just meet his benchmarks but exceed them. Unfortunately not all have the same dedication.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What are you suggesting? That the staff whip them regularly to make sure that they train hard? Stick with them 24/7 to ensure that they stick to their diet as prescribed by the nutritionist? Lock the fridge door to stop the midnight snacks? The benchmarks are agreed and the player has to take the responsibility for meeting them.

Some on here make a big negative of Elliott doing his own additional training, but what it shows to me is that he did everything in his power to not just meet his benchmarks but exceed them. Unfortunately not all have the same dedication.

Go Dogs
What I'm suggesting is that Management and coaching are negligent and aren't respected if contracted employees don't take pride in their kpi targets.
We've had fatties and unfit looking players for several years.