News Bulldogs must hunt as a pack to stop Roosters

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely no one is tipping the Bulldogs to beat the Roosters on Sunday. I’m certainly not. But one thing I do know is that Canterbury will not lie down and take a thrashing like Brisbane capitulated last weekend. If they did, they would be the first Bulldogs team I’ve ever seen refuse to take on a challenge.

I’m sensing this Bulldogs team is made of sterner stuff. I honestly believe coach Dean Pay has done an outstanding job with this group of footballers under very difficult circumstances. I believe they give their best every time they play. They might not always be good enough to win, but I think Dean can be proud of his troops.
The Roosters are indeed a good side, and in good form. So are the Canberra Raiders, but that didn’t stop Newcastle from doing their own thing last Sunday to cause an upset. The Roosters are far from unbeatable. The Bulldogs have to go into the game with that mindset.

You must be prepared to put in an 80-minute performance, totally ignoring what the scoreboard might say. Games like this, against the best in the competition, are as much about earning respect as they are about trying to win the game. Respect for each other. Respect from the fans. Respect from your opponents.
The first thing you must do is develop the mentality that you cannot be stood over. Brisbane Broncos were beaten before they started last week. A lot of teams are beaten by the Roosters before they even get on the field. Your lack of belief in yourself is your opponent’s greatest asset. Take that away from them right from the start. You are there to play, and play you will for 80 minutes. Nothing is going to turn you away.

For the Bulldogs, this game will be more about attitude and resilience than it is about tactics. Go into the game with a positive mindset and aggressive attitude. You can’t be bullied. The Roosters don’t particularly like it when teams get in their face and keep coming at them all day.

The Roosters enjoy periods of tremendous attack. When they get on a roll, they are incredibly dangerous. However, it never lasts forever. You really have to hang in there and ride out their good periods. If you do, they will give you a chance later on.
They are a team that can make a lot of errors. Your defence needs to be contributing to forcing turnovers. Over the years, the Bulldogs have been the best in the business at causing upsets through their fast-moving, up-and-in defensive line. It restricts the yardage opposition forwards can make over the advantage line. It can make opposition playmakers feel very uneasy to have defenders rushing them and taking away their thinking time.
Mind you, such a relentless defensive style has been made all the more difficult by the six-again penalty for ruck infringements. It gets harder for defensive lines to continually dominate opponents. The speed of the play-the-ball makes it impossible to repeatedly reset coming up quickly off your line. Eventually, you find yourself sitting back on your heels waiting for the Roosters’ ball runners to come at you. This is where the Broncos got it horribly wrong last week, and they were punished severely.

Early in the Bulldogs’ game against St George-Illawarra last week, I felt they were a little slack in the middle of the field around the marker defenders. Once the ball went one way, the Bulldogs were vulnerable on the other side of the ruck if the ball was then turned back inside. If you are going to contain the Roosters, your defence around the play-the-ball area is extremely important.

Bulldogs defenders need to keep moving towards the ball on both sides of the ruck. They also need to keep moving forward, towards the ball. The Bulldogs were a little poor in this area last weekend and I’m sure that won’t be lost on Trent Robinson’s men. The Roosters forwards really sprint hard when running on the ball. They are after every inch they can get. You need to ‘‘meet them to beat them’’. You can’t let them dominate you over the advantage line
Roosters play a very simple pattern in attack. It’s point to point. They work to a point on the field, put on a play, work back to another point, put on a play. If you study their attacking sets, you will find a lot of it gets repeated over and over again. Mind you, it’s one thing to know what they’re going to do; it’s another thing entirely to contain them over the course of the full 80 minutes. That’s the real test.
The Roosters also love a short-side raid, particularly down their left-hand side of the field. This is Jake Friend’s favourite part of the field. It’s also where Luke Keary likes to play a lot of his attacking football. Bulldogs defenders need to be aware and communicating in these parts of the field.

You cannot be intimidated by their try-scoring ability. When they are on a roll, you need to hang in there. The heat doesn’t last forever. When you come out the other side, there can be a little bit of joy when you finally get the ball.

If I were the Bulldogs, I would not be burdening my mind with special tactics for the attacking game. I would be keeping my time in possession very simple
Just do the basics really well. Go forward on every play-the-ball, always supporting the ball carrier. Don’t look for deep passing rushes. Keep hunting away at them, especially their smaller men. Be patient, wait for the quick play-the-ball. Play off the back of this momentum when you get the chance. Your kick-and-chase game has to be strong. This will determine where and when your opposition gets the ball. When you control this part of the game, you control the type of football your opponent is allowed to play. All great upsets happen because of great defence
That’s the goal for the Bulldogs on Sunday. Don’t be intimidated. Don’t be beaten before you start. Take it to your opponents with a committed physical performance. Stick together and play for the full 80 minutes. Never give up. It’s not the most tactically intricate game plan you’ve ever seen. Yet simple football, when done well, has caused many upsets over the years. I doubt Sunday's clash will be an upset. Roosters should win. But I’m very keen to see how far the Bulldogs are willing to push them.

Phil Gould SMH

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The strength of the wolf is the pack, the strength of the pack is the wolf.​

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon we’ll push them. They have too much threat across the park and a lot more experiences So should get the W. But as long as we make it really hard for them it’s a step forward.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck that, win it or bin it.
I hope so bro. But it’s also good to be realistic look how many internationals they have. With our young inexperienced side if we push them that’s a step in the right direction.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope so bro. But it’s also good to be realistic look how many internationals they have. With our young inexperienced side if we push them that’s a step in the right direction.
If the end result is we pushed them to our limit and it was tough but we got beat by class, so be it.

But we absolutely should not be beaten be effort, desire or desperation. In moments like these where not even the most positive fan or player believes we can win the comp, these sort of games are our grand final moments.

Fuck the Rorters. I hope we physically and mentally smash them.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost feel like we are playing a grand final tomorrow. We need to throw everything at them. If we play like we did towards the end of last year I’m confident that we can make it difficult for them. I’m hoping they are a bit rusty after a long turnaround, but we need to do everything right to stay in the game. Complete at 90% +, kick to the corners away from Tedesco and get repeat sets whenever we have a chance in attack. Make it a real grind. Bring it on

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould is right, teams beat themselves before the game even starts, they may have a strong team but they are without Cronk and Mitchell this year. Get in their face, bully them, get at Keary, he has a temper so use that to our advantage.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters line-speed is scary, they don’t let the opposition forwards get a roll on.

I wondered if that could be why Crichton was on the bench, to try and get some momentum with quick play the balls and dummy half metres? His hands always a worry though....

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould has a soft spot for the dogs he always had . A lot of what he says I agree with . I think our boys will give the cheats a scare. Weakness in our team is Smith not a centre at all, needs to be put back on wing. Poor in defence and attack. I will never select against the dogs. Good luck boys Dogs to win.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gould has a soft spot for the dogs he always had . A lot of what he says I agree with . I think our boys will give the cheats a scare. Weakness in our team is Smith not a centre at all, needs to be put back on wing. Poor in defence and attack. I will never select against the dogs. Good luck boys Dogs to win.
He's not playing mate.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely no one is tipping the Bulldogs to beat the Roosters on Sunday. I’m certainly not. But one thing I do know is that Canterbury will not lie down and take a thrashing like Brisbane capitulated last weekend. If they did, they would be the first Bulldogs team I’ve ever seen refuse to take on a challenge.

I’m sensing this Bulldogs team is made of sterner stuff. I honestly believe coach Dean Pay has done an outstanding job with this group of footballers under very difficult circumstances. I believe they give their best every time they play. They might not always be good enough to win, but I think Dean can be proud of his troops.
The Roosters are indeed a good side, and in good form. So are the Canberra Raiders, but that didn’t stop Newcastle from doing their own thing last Sunday to cause an upset. The Roosters are far from unbeatable. The Bulldogs have to go into the game with that mindset.

You must be prepared to put in an 80-minute performance, totally ignoring what the scoreboard might say. Games like this, against the best in the competition, are as much about earning respect as they are about trying to win the game. Respect for each other. Respect from the fans. Respect from your opponents.
The first thing you must do is develop the mentality that you cannot be stood over. Brisbane Broncos were beaten before they started last week. A lot of teams are beaten by the Roosters before they even get on the field. Your lack of belief in yourself is your opponent’s greatest asset. Take that away from them right from the start. You are there to play, and play you will for 80 minutes. Nothing is going to turn you away.

For the Bulldogs, this game will be more about attitude and resilience than it is about tactics. Go into the game with a positive mindset and aggressive attitude. You can’t be bullied. The Roosters don’t particularly like it when teams get in their face and keep coming at them all day.

The Roosters enjoy periods of tremendous attack. When they get on a roll, they are incredibly dangerous. However, it never lasts forever. You really have to hang in there and ride out their good periods. If you do, they will give you a chance later on.
They are a team that can make a lot of errors. Your defence needs to be contributing to forcing turnovers. Over the years, the Bulldogs have been the best in the business at causing upsets through their fast-moving, up-and-in defensive line. It restricts the yardage opposition forwards can make over the advantage line. It can make opposition playmakers feel very uneasy to have defenders rushing them and taking away their thinking time.
Mind you, such a relentless defensive style has been made all the more difficult by the six-again penalty for ruck infringements. It gets harder for defensive lines to continually dominate opponents. The speed of the play-the-ball makes it impossible to repeatedly reset coming up quickly off your line. Eventually, you find yourself sitting back on your heels waiting for the Roosters’ ball runners to come at you. This is where the Broncos got it horribly wrong last week, and they were punished severely.

Early in the Bulldogs’ game against St George-Illawarra last week, I felt they were a little slack in the middle of the field around the marker defenders. Once the ball went one way, the Bulldogs were vulnerable on the other side of the ruck if the ball was then turned back inside. If you are going to contain the Roosters, your defence around the play-the-ball area is extremely important.

Bulldogs defenders need to keep moving towards the ball on both sides of the ruck. They also need to keep moving forward, towards the ball. The Bulldogs were a little poor in this area last weekend and I’m sure that won’t be lost on Trent Robinson’s men. The Roosters forwards really sprint hard when running on the ball. They are after every inch they can get. You need to ‘‘meet them to beat them’’. You can’t let them dominate you over the advantage line
Roosters play a very simple pattern in attack. It’s point to point. They work to a point on the field, put on a play, work back to another point, put on a play. If you study their attacking sets, you will find a lot of it gets repeated over and over again. Mind you, it’s one thing to know what they’re going to do; it’s another thing entirely to contain them over the course of the full 80 minutes. That’s the real test.
The Roosters also love a short-side raid, particularly down their left-hand side of the field. This is Jake Friend’s favourite part of the field. It’s also where Luke Keary likes to play a lot of his attacking football. Bulldogs defenders need to be aware and communicating in these parts of the field.

You cannot be intimidated by their try-scoring ability. When they are on a roll, you need to hang in there. The heat doesn’t last forever. When you come out the other side, there can be a little bit of joy when you finally get the ball.

If I were the Bulldogs, I would not be burdening my mind with special tactics for the attacking game. I would be keeping my time in possession very simple
Just do the basics really well. Go forward on every play-the-ball, always supporting the ball carrier. Don’t look for deep passing rushes. Keep hunting away at them, especially their smaller men. Be patient, wait for the quick play-the-ball. Play off the back of this momentum when you get the chance. Your kick-and-chase game has to be strong. This will determine where and when your opposition gets the ball. When you control this part of the game, you control the type of football your opponent is allowed to play. All great upsets happen because of great defence
That’s the goal for the Bulldogs on Sunday. Don’t be intimidated. Don’t be beaten before you start. Take it to your opponents with a committed physical performance. Stick together and play for the full 80 minutes. Never give up. It’s not the most tactically intricate game plan you’ve ever seen. Yet simple football, when done well, has caused many upsets over the years. I doubt Sunday's clash will be an upset. Roosters should win. But I’m very keen to see how far the Bulldogs are willing to push them.

Phil Gould SMH
Motivation... Gould's strongest attribute
Dogs of war...Should be our our attitude
Gould knows all about the Dogs of War
We must physically hurt the Rorters even if we do not win the game !!!
Make us proud...Again !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's no Bull...
Totally agree Terrier :tonguewink:

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Surely cant have both crighton and wakeham on bench. Give Ogden a go ffs