News Bulldogs close to a deal with England powerhouse Luke Thompson

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice work by the club if it happens. Now time to get some more signings for 2021.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's hope the current administration doesn't remember Bullfrog's famous quote. "We need 6 front rowers. 2 on the field, 2 on the bench and 2 suspended".

With the current rules i can see numerous second rowers being converted to lighter more mobile front rowers. RFM comes to mind.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The transfer fee wouldn't go on the cap? His salary would. If you think it does is there something you can show me that states otherwise?
Screenshot_20200611-154338_Chrome.png

How about reading all of it!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He could make a good lock? Explosive abit of pace , size and a offload, and Elliot to second row
It's fucked too because he looks alot fitter and would handle 50-60mins easy

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fk the bench paid top dollar to deliver so throw him in sink or swim

Napa bench

Britte back to Souths

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
View attachment 15254

How about reading all of it!!
Yeah, so that doesn't say the transfer fee goes into the salary cap. It says we'd have to pay a transfer fee and we have enough room in the salary cap to accommodate his current salary. I'm ~90% sure a transfer fee is separate so I'd have to see something otherwise and this post doesn't show me anything.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The transfer fee wouldn't go on the cap? His salary would. If you think it does is there something you can show me that states otherwise?
Not exactly, but there was a song and dance about SBurgess transfer fee back from Union to the NRL NOT being included in their Salary Cap
Source https://www.zerotackle.com/burgess-transfer-fee-wont-be-included-in-cap-19491/
"South Sydney’s bid to entice Sam Burgess back to rugby league has been given a healthy boost after the NRL confirmed that any transfer fee paid for his return would have no salary cap ramifications for the club."

The NRL regulations around salary cap are summarised on their web site and there is no mention of transfer fees being included OR excluded. Being silent, if that is the case in the full regulations, means that it is at the NRL's discretion as to whether transfer fees are included in the Salary Cap or not.
Source https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

Which somewhat supports the view that the SBurgess NRL decision could have gone the other way and it being included. It is possible that the NRL allowed it to be excluded because it was from Union and not League, whereas they might have included it if it was a League transfer.

Go Dogs

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
member email from the club:

"In big news for the Pack, star International front-rower Luke Thompson is headed to Belmore to join the Bulldogs in the coming weeks!

Find out how the deal happened, the reaction from inside our club and when we can expect to see our new British Bulldog in action on Bulldogs.com.au."

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies if posted elsewhere, I couldn't locate!

Luke Thompson to join the Pack for 2020 NRL Premiership Season
Author
bulldogs.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 12 Jun 2020, 05:25 PM
Share on social media
Star International front-rower Luke Thompson will fly into Australia this week in readiness to join the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs after undergoing the mandatory Government 14-day isolation period.

After working closely with St Helens R.F.C. to secure an early release for the 25 year-old Thompson, the Bulldogs will welcome the dynamic forward to training at Belmore as soon as his isolation period ends.

Earlier in the year Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson & Chief Executive Andrew Hill flew to the UK to agree to terms for the 2021/22/23 seasons with Thompson and recent discussions have resulted in his early release from St Helens.

Thompson, who has played 157 matches for St Helens and was Man of the Match in last year's Super League Grand Final, had previously highlighted Canterbury's famed culture as a key factor in luring him to Belmore.

"Getting the chance to join the Bulldogs and be a part of a club with so much history and with such passionate fans is very exciting. Having spoken to many people at the club and listened to their plans for the future, I know that they are building for success and I'm looking forward to being part of that.”

Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson was pleased that all the hard work had paid off.

“We are thrilled Luke will join us this year. It’s a huge boost to our young team, and provides further experience to support our senior leadership group. We have worked really hard to get him here early, and it’s fantastic to see it come to fruition."

Chief Executive Andrew Hill was equally excited about Thompson being able to arrive earlier than originally thought.

“It is fantastic news that Luke will be able to arrive next week and be available to play this season after serving the compulsory isolation period. To have an International forward, seen by many as one the best front rowers in the game, arrive early is tremendous news for all of our Members and fans and a great boost for our squad for the rest of this season.

I must thank St Helens for enabling this to happen and Luke for showing great character in arriving early and being prepared to sit through his isolation phase before joining us.

We are hopeful that Luke will be out on the field representing the Bulldogs within the next month.”

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies if posted elsewhere, I couldn't locate!

Luke Thompson to join the Pack for 2020 NRL Premiership Season
Author
bulldogs.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 12 Jun 2020, 05:25 PM
Share on social media
Star International front-rower Luke Thompson will fly into Australia this week in readiness to join the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs after undergoing the mandatory Government 14-day isolation period.

After working closely with St Helens R.F.C. to secure an early release for the 25 year-old Thompson, the Bulldogs will welcome the dynamic forward to training at Belmore as soon as his isolation period ends.

Earlier in the year Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson & Chief Executive Andrew Hill flew to the UK to agree to terms for the 2021/22/23 seasons with Thompson and recent discussions have resulted in his early release from St Helens.

Thompson, who has played 157 matches for St Helens and was Man of the Match in last year's Super League Grand Final, had previously highlighted Canterbury's famed culture as a key factor in luring him to Belmore.

"Getting the chance to join the Bulldogs and be a part of a club with so much history and with such passionate fans is very exciting. Having spoken to many people at the club and listened to their plans for the future, I know that they are building for success and I'm looking forward to being part of that.”

Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson was pleased that all the hard work had paid off.

“We are thrilled Luke will join us this year. It’s a huge boost to our young team, and provides further experience to support our senior leadership group. We have worked really hard to get him here early, and it’s fantastic to see it come to fruition."

Chief Executive Andrew Hill was equally excited about Thompson being able to arrive earlier than originally thought.

“It is fantastic news that Luke will be able to arrive next week and be available to play this season after serving the compulsory isolation period. To have an International forward, seen by many as one the best front rowers in the game, arrive early is tremendous news for all of our Members and fans and a great boost for our squad for the rest of this season.

I must thank St Helens for enabling this to happen and Luke for showing great character in arriving early and being prepared to sit through his isolation phase before joining us.

We are hopeful that Luke will be out on the field representing the Bulldogs within the next month.”
You betcha. Great way to end the week

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doubt the club would even pay a transfer fee lol.
Sancho, seriously. I get you have some kind of voodoo doll hatred for Pay, the board, Lewis and people that like brown M&M’s.. It almost borders on psychotic.

But surely you can either say something good or nothing about this news?

He will have our jersey on in mere weeks.

“Good stuff”