• No

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 16 17.4%

• Total voters

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I said wait until after 30 June which is when the transfer window closes. That doesn’t mean to expect a swag of announcements on 1 July either and why I say wait until the end of the season. Slightly different ways of saying the same thing.

I still won’t pass judgement until mid 2021 as let’s assume roster improvement and see how they go on the park next year (coaching change or not). That will be my measure and in line with what they said. They’re here until early 2022 at the earliest anyway...
tenor (20).gif

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They did ask for time. 2021 been mentioned since they took over. Things can happen real quick too, 2 or 3 good signings on top of thompson would make a big difference.

Atm the signs are not promising tho. Apart from thompson, dwz and may be napa, we have not seen any good signing that will be part of the 2021 team. We meant to clean up but looks like we have acquired more deadwoods.

I understand that the conditions are against us but in the 3rd year of rebuild youd want to see some signs of improvements on the field. We have won games at end of season then start next season real bad. Looks like the same thing is happening again this year.

I understand people asking questions. It raises doubt if someone promised to start delivering from 4th year but entering 3rd year they havent provided any signs of improvement.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm losing faith in the board as our club has been on a gradual decline over the past 5 years in most areas. Yes, they have seemingly fixed the salary cap fiasco for now, but how we come out the other side of that will be the true test. I guess it is easy enough to let go of players on huge salaries and replace them with players of lesser ability on smaller salaries to get the cap under control, but as we have seen, that leaves us with a very weakened roster of players that basically can't compete with most teams for the entire season, although we seem to jag some wins towards the end of each season that gives us a false glimmer of hope for the following season. The recruitment for next year is critical and I feel that is what the board will be judged on

Unfortunately I don't think our club has been or is currently a very attractive option for players, coaches and sponsors to come to. I feel that a proactive board would have made sure that after we bottomed out with the salary cap that we would be on an upward trajectory to make the club look like it is on the rise and would be an exciting prospect for players to jump on board, but unfortunately that couldn't be further from the truth

I think Dean Pay has to wear most of the blame for that, but the board also play a part as they extended him rather than replace him. I think we have all seen his limitations as a coach and I feel a better coach would have us in a much better position in regards to our playing style and the development of our players. To be frank, our players haven't developed under him and our playing style is not only the most boring and frustrating to watch, but we are miles away from most other teams in both structures and basics. When commentators and ex players start to publicly state that they can't see how we are going to score points , we have major problems

Like most of us on this forum, I think the recruitment focus for next year should solely be for a 1, 6, 7 and 9 and at a minimum filling 3 of those positions with attacking minded players. We will need to pay overs, get players to break contracts, whatever it takes to improve our spine. I feel we have enough depth in other positions to become competitive IF we strengthen our spine. Secondly a new coach is a must, but looking at what coaches are out there and available, it will be a tough job to get the right one....but this is up to the board to deliver these things and I feel this will make or break this board

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'ts too early to call.
We all know that our salary cap drama's don't ease until 2021, so their hands have been tied until now.

The 2 biggest issues for the board from what I see moving into 2021 and making a difference is the following

1. There is a genuine lack of talented players coming of contract at the end of this year with the exception of a very few - you cant buy what is not for sale or what others don't want to sell.

2. Being able to attract quality players to a struggling club without a coach or a squad that will be a genuine contender - Its a hard sell which this makes you pay overs and end up in the shit again.

Honestly, they got themselves a very difficult 12 to 18 months ahead to fix the sins of the past - the question is, although it may not be their fault, are the fans willing to wait another 2 years for success.

The truth is regardless of who is in charge this is not a quick fix, and that hurts to say.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do we know that this is even true?
The junior pathways and playing stocks were left in such a bad way by Des and Dib that if anyone gave them a bit of attention they would look like genius.

Credit to the board for seeing it needed attention but I wouldn't say they are doing anything mind blowing or ground breaking. They just got them back to the same level as other clubs.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do we know that this is even true?
What do you mean? The production of junior reps and junior reps results has improved under this board. Plus the partnerships in north NSW shows they have put effort into and resources into the juniors but it’s the same as what most clubs do.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Problem is not the money...it's the coach....quality players want a good coach to play under
No. Knights recruited with Nathan Brown as coach. I think we're been stingy with our money (not going to work for a bottom four team) or we haven't tried to recruit anyone for 2021.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'ts too early to call.
We all know that our salary cap drama's don't ease until 2021, so their hands have been tied until now.

The 2 biggest issues for the board from what I see moving into 2021 and making a difference is the following

1. There is a genuine lack of talented players coming of contract at the end of this year with the exception of a very few - you cant buy what is not for sale or what others don't want to sell.

2. Being able to attract quality players to a struggling club without a coach or a squad that will be a genuine contender - Its a hard sell which this makes you pay overs and end up in the shit again.

Honestly, they got themselves a very difficult 12 to 18 months ahead to fix the sins of the past - the question is, although it may not be their fault, are the fans willing to wait another 2 years for success.

The truth is regardless of who is in charge this is not a quick fix, and that hurts to say.
1. Contracts mean little these days. Not a lot off contract especially in the spine positions. We need to be aggressive towards contracted players (some of the best players in the game, e.g. Keary, Munster, Brandon Smith).
2. Pay overs. We're not going to a competition favourite due to this but that isn't our goal until 2024 imo (when we get renegotiate contracts). No other option either unless we want more of what we already have.

I keep saying it but look at the Knights rebuild from 2018-now. Their 2018 is our 2021. We have a better overall squad than what they had and we have more money to spend in the first year.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The junior pathways and playing stocks were left in such a bad way by Des and Dib that if anyone gave them a bit of attention they would look like genius.

Credit to the board for seeing it needed attention but I wouldn't say they are doing anything mind blowing or ground breaking. They just got them back to the same level as other clubs.
Dont think itd take that long to see the rewards from developing juniors. If you do a good job of it, you can see good result in 3 or 4 years time. The dib/haslers legacy is being overplayed a lot imo.
I understand tho your point is the board hasnt done anything special

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
not yet but clock is ticking tick tok m*thaf**kers

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I was hopeful but our recruitment is the worst ive ever seen ,they talk a big game but aren’t delivering 1 bit
To be fair there's pretty close to nothing they could have done about recruitment. We haven't had any money to spend for most of the last few years, and now we have there's nobody we need available. And the only reason we have money to spend now, is losing 2 players 2 days before round 1. Then there was covid. So yeh, not sure what they were supposed to do. Nobody even knows what the cap is going to be to even shop properly.

Point is since we have had any money to spend, there hasn't been any opportunities worth chasing. What we have needed most is an experienced uninjured half, but i cant see how we fix that while we still have Foran on the books. We need to hope that either Foran suddenly stops getting injured forever, or he leaves forever so we can replace him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
To be fair there's pretty close to nothing they could have done about recruitment. We haven't had any money to spend for most of the last few years, and now we have there's nobody we need available. And the only reason we have money to spend now, is losing 2 players 2 days before round 1. Then there was covid. So yeh, not sure what they were supposed to do. Nobody even knows what the cap is going to be to even shop properly.

Point is since we have had any money to spend, there hasn't been any opportunities worth chasing. What we have needed most is an experienced uninjured half, but i cant see how we fix that while we still have Foran on the books. We need to hope that either Foran suddenly stops getting injured forever, or he leaves forever so we can replace him.
We were always going to have the money for 2021, they should of got in early around last November (as we've seen players move elsewhere or re-sign). Now we're forced to target contracted players imo. Which if we can pull off will be better than what was off contract anyways.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said they would scope the globe to recruit the best young talent?? Yeah tell me who they have signed? And don't say they didn't have money cause your not talking millions to recruit these kids..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Early on in there administration i agree ,however this whole no players available thing that gets said on here is rubbish thats 1990s recruitment,the smart clubs get the targets they want hence knights with klemmer/mitch pearce,roosters with cronk ,raiders with george williams even getting that winger back ,i love the club have done for 44 years however,if you were to give an honest assessment and take the blue and white goggles off they have been below average and half asleep compared to other clubs ,when are the excuses actually going to stop and they be accountable?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They said they would scope the globe to recruit the best young talent?? Yeah tell me who they have signed? And don't say they didn't have money cause your not talking millions to recruit these kids..
And why on earth didn’t we nab george wiliams he’s exactly what we needed

A

Alexander the Great

im unsure still. Who they buy with the cash will be the big call for me.
.its clear now we are not going to be punished unfairly by the nrl so less calls for the board to make om things.

If they sign decent signatures and get us back into the comp ill approve if them staying on.

A

Alexander the Great

I think you nailed it. The end if the year will give us a better idea how they run business.

2021 we should be a top 4 squad with the bankroll we have.

They fronted the membership two years ago and were very open about the state of things. They made it clear we could not be competitive again until 2021.

Many had expectations of signing announcements from last November and when that didn’t happen (apart from Thompson) it’s assumed nothing else has been done. Give it until the end of the season, the transfer window hasn’t even closed yet. Judgement should be on the 2021 roster and how things start to turn from next season.

They’ll lose my support if they don’t make us competitive for 2021 as was their stated goal they’ve never wavered from. Until then benefit of the doubt remains for me.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I reckon the biggest dilemma is Foran. We need his money to shop seriously, but what if he kills it the rest of the year and doesn't get injured? I think the next off-season will be very telling for the board, coach and team. Im happy to wait till then before wanting to sack everyone. If we line up next year much the same as this year and don't go well, then I'm happy for a big clean out.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score

The junior ranks where left in a terrible state. They are getting better. But others are realising Timms from St George has contacted the st Christopher coach offering choice two clubs to take his squad. And said to the kids as a sweetener you be in reps for several years for St George. We need strong leadership to stop this as several those kids where I’d in our junior development squads. And will push us back again if it happens