News COACH Pay will make up to six alterations to the team which lost to Manly

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Happy with these changes. Hoppa is great under the high ball and can give foran another option when we attack inside the 20m.

Excited to see how Averillo goes at centre and DWZ on the wing. Meaney and Hoppa don't offer much on tackles 1 and 2 rucking it out though, that's why i'd prefer Meaney at fullback and Smith on the wing. Smith gives us someone to bomb for on the last as well.

No excuses against this dragons team though. Go dogs.
Hopate eats up heaps of meters running it out of our own half.
Meaney is quick but not a hard yards guy.

Dogsarnthavingaparty

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay has made widespread changes to his backline in a bid to spark his team’s lacklustre attack.

The Saturday Telegraph has learnt Pay will make up to six alterations to the team which lost to Manly last Sunday ahead of their match against St George Illawarra on Monday.

Only winger Nick Meaney will keep the exact role he filled on the wing during the Bulldogs 32-6 loss to the Sea Eagles.

Among the changes Pay is expected to make include;

*Shifting Kiwi skipper Dallin Watene-Zelezniak from fullback to wing.

*Will Hopoate moving from the centres to fullback.

*Reimis Smith swapping from left centre to right.

*Boom youngster Jake Averillo earning his first career start at centre.

*Winger Christian Crichton axed.

Kieran Foran will also return in the No. 6 jersey Lachie Lewis wore last start with Lewis moving into the halfback role to play a desperate Dragons team. Halfback Jack Cogger was dropped earlier this week.

The changes need to spark the Bulldogs attack which has netted just 24 points from the opening three matches. Only the hapless Titans have scored less and 16 of the Bulldogs points came in their round two loss to the Cowboys.

The Bulldogs’ attack has been an ongoing problem for the side which featured last season scoring the league’s lowest average of 13.5 points per game. The losing coach on Monday will come under intense scrutiny. A planned training session yesterday was cancelled after club great Terry Lamb breached the NRL’s strict biosecurity protocols. Lamb shook hands with a host of players and officials on Thursday and was forced to undergo a COVID test before the players were allowed to return to Belmore. Lamb, who apologised for his actions, was cleared of the coronavirus, enabling the team to train again today.

“I would like to apologise to the Bulldogs and the NRL for breaching COVID protocols at training,” Lamb said. “I was over excited about getting to Belmore again and wanting to wish Kieran Foran all the best for his 200th game and in doing so I breached the protocols by shaking the hands of several players to wish them all the best.
That won't help honestly pay needs to drop Benji Marshall's brother and give guitar a run at dummy half can't just keep putting the same place in every single fucking week give katoa the 9 jersey I'll bet you he is the answer

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay is as f#@king dumb as he looks, period.

Who is our next coach? Is the only thing worth talking about.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Hoppa
2. Averillo
3. Harper
4. Dwz
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham

how Meaney the cream puff shirt weak cat is still in the side amazes me

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney was once called the human kite on here
1. Hoppa
2. Averillo
3. Harper
4. Dwz
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Wakeham

how Meaney the cream puff shirt weak cat is still in the side amazes me

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice to know that Pay reads the Kennel.
Sad to see the Kennel only reads the Telegraph; and acts as a mouthpiece for their grubby journalists.
As soon as I see the attribution to the Murdoch rag, I know the story is full of holes, and fake news.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are completly non competitive, Pay has lost the dressing room, a change is needed.

Neil Henry
Anthoney Griffen
Would both improve our team to be competitive for the 8 at least.

Even the Walker Bros would be better than Pay, at least we would be exciting to watch.
How about the dressing room becomes the change room?

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I think it's great Pay is trying his hand at alterations. Being a tailor might be his next career move, who knows?

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
What stats say he's effective?
Nrl SuperCoach,only took them from JJ,Napa,Elliot and Tolman figures as these play more than most.As I said stats can be made to say anything you want

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nrl SuperCoach,only took them from JJ,Napa,Elliot and Tolman figures as these play more than most.As I said stats can be made to say anything you want
If I was just looking at stats I would say Elliott and Sue are out two most effective forwards. Tolmans high SC score is just stat padding.

Yes stats are now where near the whole story and can be used to say anything, but it's still data and the data available to us right now is backing up what I'm seeing on field this season.

Big Owl

Waterboy
Reaction score
Dwz to centre and smith to wing would of been better but this looks good! Might put on a good game
Spot on and that’s where they will start tomorrow. DWZ will be at right centre with Smith on the wing outside him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Spot on and that’s where they will start tomorrow. DWZ will be at right centre with Smith on the wing outside him.
I definitely prefer the idea of DWZ at centre over Smith, I can at least visualise DWZ as a hard running centre that runs some strong lines while also being a little more adept in beating his man one on one. Probably not the combo I would go with as our two edges look completely unbalanced in terms of experience...and for a coach that keeping banging on about defence and experience it sort of leaves me clueless lol.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon henry and griffen are very under rated and pretty hard nosed what our players need tbh

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I definitely prefer the idea of DWZ at centre over Smith, I can at least visualise DWZ as a hard running centre that runs some strong lines while also being a little more adept in beating his man one on one. Probably not the combo I would go with as our two edges look completely unbalanced in terms of experience...and for a coach that keeping banging on about defence and experience it sort of leaves me clueless lol.
DWZ will make a dangerous centre, he has explosive speed and has strength. He can use his strength and speed sparingly because he won't have to cover the field as he does playing at FB and I think this will add another dimension to his game.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon henry and griffen are very under rated and pretty hard nosed what our players need tbh
Griffin for sure. Hook has had to develop teams both time at the Broncos and the Panthers from rubble and made them successful. He knows how to rebuild clubs and which players to bring in.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The line up on the Sunday Footy Show had Foran as the only change.