Opinion Josh Jackson

Curash

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Do you remember a vast majority of the kennel banging on about how the Morris boys are finished?

Too old, have lost their class, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Firstly a class player never loses his class. He might lose his speed as he gets older but class is forever.

I see the vast majority of the kennel now saying that the Morris boys have their mojo back!

It's quite clear how much a class coach and playing group which is balanced, brings out of each player. i.e Roosters

Jackson is being played out of position, and he is playing too many minutes week in week out, and our spine and balance of our squad is extremely poor.

Too much gibberish garbage on the kennel

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another plodder we have to get used to until he retires to see him out of the team like Tolman ‍♂

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dunno why many say it’s sacrilege to knock Jacko :-).

My personal belief is the captaincy has placed a lot of pressure on him and especially so when it’s been through a difficult time for the club.

With an improved roster next year hopefully this eases the pressure and allows him to focus more on his game.

His body has suffered in recent years but he’s 29 (30 at the start of next season) so easily has a couple of more years left in him, even if he ultimately reduces his workload as his career winds down.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you remember a vast majority of the kennel banging on about how the Morris boys are finished?

Firstly a class player never loses his class. He might lose his speed as he gets older but class is forever.

I see the vast majority of the kennel now saying that the Morris boys have their mojo back!

It's quite clear how much a class coach and playing group which is balanced, brings out of each player. i.e Roosters

Jackson is being played out of position, and he is playing too many minutes week in week out, and our spine and balance of our squad is extremely poor.

The problem is Jackson never had the attacking ability those two had. But I agree with your point that if coached and used properly on a better team, he'd look better like the Morris' have.

Right now, the players are performing way below what they're capable of. Both the players and coaches need to take responsibility for that. But either way, as captain Jacko needs to lift his game and lead by example better than he has.

holbi

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Still has the potential to be good again after a mediocre year or so, although he is far from being alone there. I wish we had kept Finucane as well as Jacko, he is still tearing it up for Melbourne albeit as part of a much better side.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score

How would the Morris twins go making 30 + tackles per game and running into forwards, don’t compare apples with oranges.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I still think he was made captain 2 years too early. Obviously had the leadership qualities to take over from Graham but was too big a burden at the time and his game performance suffered accordingly.

Hopefully with a better equipped and more experienced team in 2021 he can regain a bit of form and take his place as a legendary Bulldogs captain.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You forgot the sombrero bro.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How would the Morris twins go making 30 + tackles per game and running into forwards, don’t compare apples with oranges.
I think you missed the point on that one. How do you think Jackson would go sprinting down the touchline and setting up his outside man with a deft flick pass?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still has the potential to be good again after a mediocre year or so, although he is far from being alone there. I wish we had kept Finucane as well as Jacko, he is still tearing it up for Melbourne albeit as part of a much better side.
We will likely see a marked improvement if Foran can stay on the field.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every players best days will seem behind them whilst pay is the coach

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem is Jackson never had the attacking ability those two had. But I agree with your point that if coached and used properly on a better team, he'd look better like the Morris' have.

Right now, the players are performing way below what they're capable of. Both the players and coaches need to take responsibility for that. But either way, as captain Jacko needs to lift his game and lead by example better than he has.
That was my original point as well. No doubt the team is struggling from many deficiencies across the park, but he needs to lift in a big way. Put on a few good hits, run a great line, whatever. Lead by example. He may as well have not played last week. The only image of him I can see from last week was him with the shits at half time.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Jackson is a great work horse indeed, but he is getting on and maybe because of the pack or whatever, does not have the same impact as he used too.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson is a great work horse indeed, but he is getting on and maybe because of the pack or whatever, does not have the same impact as he used too.
He is only 29 so i wouldn't really say that he is getting on. He should be in his prime to be completely honest.

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Sometimes a change is as good as a holiday too! New club new coach new training techniques. A breath of fresh air as they say

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree, the 6 again rule favour explosive backrowers with abit of skill imo. Elliot should be playing outside on left edge linking with Hoppa and Averillo. Best chance we have of scoring points
Sucks we lost our best attacking second rower in CHN. I feel he would have really suited this new style. Maybe we can get him back for next year?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He is only 29 so i wouldn't really say that he is getting on. He should be in his prime to be completely honest.
True lol. Well feels like he’s been around forever.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Not me.
Idiotic decision to let the Morris boys go, well not to offer them a 2 season contract.

Brett & Josh playing on base salary for the Roosters, I mean good on them, good to see them playing together. But still pisses me off.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
On Jackson I still think he is an above average player but no longer the elite player he was.
He only 29 and probably suffering the general malaise that the team has.
May get a new lease on NRL life under a new coach or a new team?