Opinion Josh Jackson

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JJ has been a great player for us, and a reasonable captain, but am I alone in thinking that his best days are well and truly behind him? He has contributed zero this year, and has been on the decline for years. He used to be a SOO mainstay, but there are so many better backrower then him these days.
He has definitely suffered due to our teams performances and general decline, but these are the times when you need your club captain, your club leader, to really stand up and show the rest of the squad what they need to be doing. He is simply not having any kind of impact at all.
I hope that he can find form soon, and that our team can find form as well. But if he doesn't show us the player he is soon, as in the next few rounds, then I no longer have him in our starting side. He just isn't offering anything for mine.
Many people will blame our halves and or coaching, but as much as these things contribute, he has also got to be accountable for his own form.
What are your thoughts guys?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he's been a bit average for a while now, but say so can be sacrilege on the Kennel. There has been the occasional game where i've forgotten he was even on the field - whereas a few seasons ago, he was impossible to miss.

The reasons for it I'm not sure - getting older, motivation, structure of play, shit team mates?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You must've missed when I questioned his re-signing lol. A few have commented on it but as CD said above it has become sacrilege on to do so on TK. Doesn't help that he should've been moved to the middle ages ago..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I agree let's get rid of him and bring Andrew Ryan back... Why not with Goodwin coming back lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His form has followed Nathan Hindmarsh's career, gun attacking second rower when he first came on the scene.... Now turned into boring toiler.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I still rate him for his leadership and commitment on and off the field. But he’s not an edge back rower anymore and we may have gone 1 year too many on the recent resigning.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
His form has followed Nathan Hindmarsh's career, gun attacking second rower when he first came on the scene.... Now turned into boring toiler.
That's pretty much our forward pack summed up.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How old is he now??. No matter how poor he is playing, the club will never release him. The backlash from fans in general would be career suicide for the board..

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Josh Jackson is a really good player. He just happens to be playing in a garbage team. He would be playing Origin year in year out if not for our teams rubbish.
Fittler has explicitly stated this:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/josh-j...l-gallen/39026009-dbc1-4800-84cf-a749eebd7bf6

Josh Jackson is a great captain, excellent defensively and if our attack was better, he would also lift his attack and most certainly get back into Origin.
Don't forget he has 2 X Dally M 2nd Rower of the Year Awards (2015 and 2018, even when our team wasn't that good)... these awards are not to be downplayed... they say a lot.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He needs to be lock. Elliot second row
Agree, the 6 again rule favour explosive backrowers with abit of skill imo. Elliot should be playing outside on left edge linking with Hoppa and Averillo. Best chance we have of scoring points

Spudowsky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Again it's about balance, if we had some big mobile attacking back rowers with an offload then JJ is the solid defensive player every team needs. Unfortunately he's a toiler in a pack of toilers

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he's been a bit average for a while now, but say so can be sacrilege on the Kennel. There has been the occasional game where i've forgotten he was even on the field - whereas a few seasons ago, he was impossible to miss.

The reasons for it I'm not sure - getting older, motivation, structure of play, shit team mates?
Certainly there have been factors in his slow demise, but it's almost like passion has gone. Can't say I blame him. But this points to a lot of the team. We have become a team with a losing culture. I doubt we ever run into the field these days expecting to win. This is why we need an injection of youth. Regardless of whether or not it may sent their confidence a little.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Josh Jackson is a really good player. He just happens to be playing in a garbage team. He would be playing Origin year in year out if not for our teams rubbish.
Fittler has explicitly stated this:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/josh-j...l-gallen/39026009-dbc1-4800-84cf-a749eebd7bf6

Josh Jackson is a great captain, excellent defensively and if our attack was better, he would also lift his attack and most certainly get back into Origin.
Don't forget he has 2 X Dally M 2nd Rower of the Year Awards (2015 and 2018, even when our team wasn't that good)... these awards are not to be downplayed... they say a lot.
2018 already seems a long time ago. Look at the backrowers way ahead of him now. Kikau, Bateman, Fifita, Murray, Graham, Hess, Kaufusi, Frizzel, etc. Take your pick. They all offer more.
I have always loved JJ as a player, but he really needs to find a way to lift. As our club captain he needs to continue to lead by example and inspire his team mates. Sadly, you hardly recall him playing these past few games.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Play him in the middle - he doesnt have the qualities to be an elite backrower / edge forward any more - but i/ would be a very effective middle forward

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Again it's about balance, if we had some big mobile attacking back rowers with an offload then JJ is the solid defensive player every team needs. Unfortunately he's a toiler in a pack of toilers
That's why we need to promote the likes of To'omaga and RFM. They seem to be the only forwards we have that are likely to bend the line.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He isn't a 6 again lock atm either. Got to be a stepping, ball playing lock who can create either with deft passing or a tackle break offload. Jacko not doing either for some time now. Maybe if Pay rejigs the mindset and tactics, he may come good.

Finucane has maintained his form and surpassed JJ atm but never write off a champion.

All this crap must weigh heavily on his shoulders....if it's not one thing, it's something else and there's no successful vibe at the Bulldogs anymore.

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yep put him at lock he offers nothing on an edge. Not a hole runner. Belts it up hard everytime though and tackles his ass off. Hed be a Paul Gallen style lock and can be rotated there if need be.

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We had the chance to play CHN and RFM together as good edge running back rowers and JJ at lock too. Would of been a good pack.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Myself and others have said this for seasons but like Croydon Dog said, the minute you suggest it, people react as if you insulted their mother.

It's been apparent that he's been on a steep decline for years. Defensive second rowers with limited physical attributes and no attacking game generally don't age well. Nor has Jacko. It was questionable to re-sign him for three seasons at 500k plus when he hasn't performed well consistently for years now..