News COACH Pay will make up to six alterations to the team which lost to Manly

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay has made widespread changes to his backline in a bid to spark his team’s lacklustre attack.

The Saturday Telegraph has learnt Pay will make up to six alterations to the team which lost to Manly last Sunday ahead of their match against St George Illawarra on Monday.

Only winger Nick Meaney will keep the exact role he filled on the wing during the Bulldogs 32-6 loss to the Sea Eagles.

Among the changes Pay is expected to make include;

*Shifting Kiwi skipper Dallin Watene-Zelezniak from fullback to wing.

*Will Hopoate moving from the centres to fullback.

*Reimis Smith swapping from left centre to right.

*Boom youngster Jake Averillo earning his first career start at centre.

*Winger Christian Crichton axed.

Kieran Foran will also return in the No. 6 jersey Lachie Lewis wore last start with Lewis moving into the halfback role to play a desperate Dragons team. Halfback Jack Cogger was dropped earlier this week.

The changes need to spark the Bulldogs attack which has netted just 24 points from the opening three matches. Only the hapless Titans have scored less and 16 of the Bulldogs points came in their round two loss to the Cowboys.

The Bulldogs’ attack has been an ongoing problem for the side which featured last season scoring the league’s lowest average of 13.5 points per game. The losing coach on Monday will come under intense scrutiny. A planned training session yesterday was cancelled after club great Terry Lamb breached the NRL’s strict biosecurity protocols. Lamb shook hands with a host of players and officials on Thursday and was forced to undergo a COVID test before the players were allowed to return to Belmore. Lamb, who apologised for his actions, was cleared of the coronavirus, enabling the team to train again today.

“I would like to apologise to the Bulldogs and the NRL for breaching COVID protocols at training,” Lamb said. “I was over excited about getting to Belmore again and wanting to wish Kieran Foran all the best for his 200th game and in doing so I breached the protocols by shaking the hands of several players to wish them all the best.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@2144superman this might appease a few Kennelers if it comes true :-).

LOLLL even without the changes I was confident of a good result BUT this has excited me even more. I’ll congratulate Dean Pay for making these changes. I know the scrutiny from both the media and members would be unimaginably hard but I think for his own sanity and ours he has made the right decisions. Well done COACH! Well fucking done.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Credit to Pay it would have been crazy persisting with the line up from last week. Still not sure switching Reimis will do much for him but Hoppa at the back gives us another ball player in the spine which we desperately need and Averillo getting a full game is exciting.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
LOLLLL listen you miserable bastard relax. SIX positional changes. He has listened and he will keep listening hopefully. This is massive. Find some positivity and work with it LOL.
Oh wow, how wonderful.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay has made widespread changes to his backline in a bid to spark his team’s lacklustre attack.

The Saturday Telegraph has learnt Pay will make up to six alterations to the team which lost to Manly last Sunday ahead of their match against St George Illawarra on Monday.

Only winger Nick Meaney will keep the exact role he filled on the wing during the Bulldogs 32-6 loss to the Sea Eagles.

Among the changes Pay is expected to make include;

*Shifting Kiwi skipper Dallin Watene-Zelezniak from fullback to wing.

*Will Hopoate moving from the centres to fullback.

*Reimis Smith swapping from left centre to right.

*Boom youngster Jake Averillo earning his first career start at centre.

*Winger Christian Crichton axed.

Kieran Foran will also return in the No. 6 jersey Lachie Lewis wore last start with Lewis moving into the halfback role to play a desperate Dragons team. Halfback Jack Cogger was dropped earlier this week.

The changes need to spark the Bulldogs attack which has netted just 24 points from the opening three matches. Only the hapless Titans have scored less and 16 of the Bulldogs points came in their round two loss to the Cowboys.

The Bulldogs’ attack has been an ongoing problem for the side which featured last season scoring the league’s lowest average of 13.5 points per game. The losing coach on Monday will come under intense scrutiny. A planned training session yesterday was cancelled after club great Terry Lamb breached the NRL’s strict biosecurity protocols. Lamb shook hands with a host of players and officials on Thursday and was forced to undergo a COVID test before the players were allowed to return to Belmore. Lamb, who apologised for his actions, was cleared of the coronavirus, enabling the team to train again today.

“I would like to apologise to the Bulldogs and the NRL for breaching COVID protocols at training,” Lamb said. “I was over excited about getting to Belmore again and wanting to wish Kieran Foran all the best for his 200th game and in doing so I breached the protocols by shaking the hands of several players to wish them all the best.
With Lewis in the team there is absolutely no spark at all. He is garbage

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally would have just swapped Hoppa and DWZ and pushed Reimis to wing for Harper and Averillo or Wakeham to partner Fozz but still credit to pay. Assuming it was pay and not Chris Anderson ;)

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It was my orangutang pics that got to him in the end lol

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Renouf needs to start we get no punch from the get

Tolman is a plodder

Napa is fast becoming one too
Has he even put on a shot?

Powder puffs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Dwz to centre and smith to wing would of been better but this looks good! Might put on a good game
We have a fullback that can actually ball play and Foran, that should make a major difference to the side alone. If everyone does there jobs then I can see us snagging a win.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So who takes averillos bench spot? Katoa?