Are Australians hypocrites or are indigenous their own worst enemy?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been reading about how people claim Australians are hypocrites with regard to the George Floyd matter.

By are Australians hypocrites or are the indigenous their own worst enemy?

Living in Sydney we largely assimilate, it's a multi cultural city a d for the most part we get along

But a few years back I went out to WA Karratha and Port Hedland for work. My role was to hire someone to run a shop out there.

In the hotel they don't me not to venture out at night as the indigenous would knock my teeth out, rob me or maybe even kill me

I thought it was a joke but they were very serious. It was a very us vs them mentality. The hotel was basically a locked compound to keep the indigenous out.

Business out there were required to meet a quota of indigenous workers and they could not hire any more workers as they could never meet their indigenous quota. The indigenous workers would last a day or two as they believed working 5 days was just unreasonable

During the day I attended a local shopping centre and two indigenous men were brawling on the ground. I stopped to watch and they both stopped fighting and threatened me .. I walked away and they just looked at each other and continued brawling. Other shoppers were oblivious to it. Seemed normal to them

There was a huge drinking problem in indigenous communities, suburbs would ban sales of alcohol to indigenous people and they would pack up and move to other places where alcohol was available

This was the same at both Karratha and Port Hedland..

It was all a real eye opener, I never thought there was such a divide but it absolutely exists.

Anywhere you wanted to build you needed clearance from Aboriginal elders and they would make some pretty ridiculous claims how it was sacred land. Some stick they would find in the area proved it was sacred land. U shaped buildings around such special Aboriginal spots were built as the elders made a big stink about it

I left with the impression these indigenous communities didn't want to help themselves, they wanted a monetary handout but didn't want to contribute anything. Just live wild and drink

So when Australians are called hypocrites I'm not so sure that is true.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been reading about how people claim Australians are hypocrites with regard to the George Floyd matter.

Living in Sydney we largely assimilate, it's a multi cultural city a d for the most part we get along

But a few years back I went out to WA Karratha and Port Hedland for work. My role was to hire someone to run a shop out there.

In the hotel they don't me not to venture out at night as the indigenous would knock my teeth out, rob me or maybe even kill me

I thought it was a joke but they were very serious. It was a very us vs them mentality. The hotel was basically a locked compound to keep the indigenous out.

Business out there were required to meet a quota of indigenous workers and they could not hire any more workers as they could never meet their indigenous quota. The indigenous workers would last a day or two as they believed working 5 days was just unreasonable

During the day I attended a local shopping centre and two indigenous men were brawling on the ground. I stopped to watch and they both stopped fighting and threatened me .. I walked away and they just looked at each other and continued brawling. Other shoppers were oblivious to it. Seemed normal to them

There was a huge drinking problem in indigenous communities, suburbs would ban sales of alcohol to indigenous people and they would pack up and move to other places where alcohol was available

It was all a real eye opener, I never thought there was such a divide but it absolutely exists.

Anywhere you wanted to build you needed clearance from Aboriginal elders and they would make some pretty ridiculous claims how it was sacred land. Some stick they would find in the area proved it was sacred land. U shaped buildings around such special Aboriginal spots were built as the elders made a big stink about it

I left with the impression these indigenous communities didn't want to help themselves, they wanted a monetary handout but didn't want to contribute anything. Just live wild and drink

Did you go out to any missions? That's an experience

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
My cousin works in Surry Hills. Across the road from his office is a terrace house that was leased out to uni students who were studying at nearby UTS. One Friday night they went out for some drinks. They came back later that evening and found the front door ajar. They thought shit, someone's cleaned out their stuff, stolen their laptops and tv etc... they went in the house and nothing was missing. They went upstairs and laptops and everything was all fine, no one was in there. They thought that maybe the didn't close the door properly. Anyway no problem. They went to the kitchen to get some beers, and found some Aboriginal bloke on floor, passed out, and had drunken all their beers!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really comparing two very different situations. What happens in the US is unique to that country and their history.

Australia has its own challenges and we shouldn’t be rated as hypocrites by acknowledging the injustices that happen in the US.

I’m not an Indigenous Australian so I cant comment on their experience. Only that we need to listen to them and their concerns.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really comparing two very different situations. What happens in the US is unique to that country and their history.

Australia has its own challenges and we shouldn’t be rated as hypocrites by acknowledging the injustices that happen in the US.

I’m not an Indigenous Australian so I cant comment on their experience. Only that we need to listen to them and their concerns.
Agreed. Different situations but both are major problems.

There is a lot of interesting research done with Aboriginal communities in an attempt to rectify the issues. They found that booze bans don't generally work as the Aboriginals will find another thing to do. What usually works is creating something for the Aboriginals to do. Building community centres and giving them jobs usually helps remove these problems.

It's not really an Aboriginal endemic issue. It's a human one. Similar things happened with white Australian workers during the WA mining boom in the 90's and early 2000's. As Perth was still developing there was bugger all to do. This lead to massive spikes in alcohol and drug related violence among white Australians, just 'cause there was nothing better to do. When you weren't working, you were drinking, taking drugs, and fighting.

Reaction score
My cousin works in Surry Hills. Across the road from his office is a terrace house that was leased out to uni students who were studying at nearby UTS. One Friday night they went out for some drinks. They came back later that evening and found the front door ajar. They thought shit, someone's cleaned out their stuff, stolen their laptops and tv etc... they went in the house and nothing was missing. They went upstairs and laptops and everything was all fine, no one was in there. They thought that maybe the didn't close the door properly. Anyway no problem. They went to the kitchen to get some beers, and found some Aboriginal bloke on floor, passed out, and had drunken all their beers!
same thing happened to my brother, no stuff taken, but alcohol cleaned out and empty mouth wash bottle left in the sink

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I hear there are tens of thousands signed up to protest tomorrow in Sydney (and the same number in Melbourne).

What are people's thoughts on this and the potential for it to end up with violence and damage to property in the city tomorrow?

Does anyone believe in the idea of going along to watch silently and defend businesses if violence breaks out?

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
same thing happened to my brother, no stuff taken, but alcohol cleaned out and empty mouth wash bottle left in the sink
happened to me years ago. All my piss taken. coin jar and left over KFC gone as well. Nothing else

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hear there are tens of thousands signed up to protest tomorrow in Sydney (and the same number in Melbourne).

What are people's thoughts on this and the potential for it to end up with violence and damage to property in the city tomorrow?

Does anyone believe in the idea of going along to watch silently and defend businesses if violence breaks out?
Arent the police in Sydney going to arrest people for social distancing but Melbourne they aren't, they advise not to but wont be arrested if they do?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Arent the police in Sydney going to arrest people for social distancing but Melbourne they aren't, they advise not to but wont be arrested if they do?
I don't know about those details. I just know I was really upset seeing peoples small businesses torn apart by looters in America.

I wouldn't want the same thing to happen here. So I'm considering going along tomorrow, remaining quiet on the sidelines but if anyone tries to destroy businesses then I'll get in their way.

Maybe it's a silly idea....not sure.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Look I think it's a bit both ways but the indigenous situation is so over exatuated... What I would like to see is for all the non indigenous people that march and protest about stolen land.... Well they can make a stand and set an example.... Sign there house/land over to an aboriginal department for zero $ compensation then either migrate back to the country of there family's ancestry or continue living in Australia but pay a weekly compensation to live on stolen land.... Hey this is a good idea I'm sure hundreds and thousands of non indigenous will be happy to do this!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a lot of interesting research done with Aboriginal communities in an attempt to rectify the issues. They found that booze bans don't generally work as the Aboriginals will find another thing to do. What usually works is creating something for the Aboriginals to do. Building community centres and giving them jobs usually helps remove these problems.
In WA employers had quotas for employing indigenous people. But they could never hire anyone as they couldn't meet the indigenous quota. These were jobs paying $150-200k per year as well. But they just didn't want to work, despite the money. Many wouldn't last 5 days as they saw it to be unreasonable to have to work 5 days. Would just go walkabout. Some employers would accept this but just pay the indigenous worker to do nothing so they could hire other staff / meet the quotas.

They just wanted to consume alcohol.. communities would ban sales of alcohol to indigenous people. This would result in entire indigenous communities moving on to places where alcohol could be purchased .. some limited to light beer but still resulted in the indigenous people packing up and moving on. The booze ban seemed to work but it just kicked the can up the road so to speak

The bigger concern for me is they just didn't want to work, no matter the conditions

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Let them protest but let us go to the footy ffs

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Howard refused to apologise as he thought this generation should not be sorry for the actions of other generations

Not only that but there was a mix with the stolen generation, for some families kids were taken unfairly but for others it saved the kid from horrid abuse. Nevertheless I don't think people can still bring it up, we have all moved on and society has fixed things.

People need to just contribute positively to society, stop making excuses and trying to find fault

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once returned home to catch a 17 year old Aboriginal kid trying to break into my house. Grabbed him.. I thought to myself I can either kill him or if I don't he will know where I live.

So I dragged him kicking and screaming to his own house. He lived a few streets away. I thought I'll hand him over to his mum and if anything happens again I'll come directly to his house for a square up

I thought his mum would thank me for not beating him up but she went ballistic at me, get your hands off my son, I told her what happened and she told me the story before he did.. he was just going to catch the bus? At my back window about three houses from the bus stop? Then she started screaming that because he's Aboriginal I was picking on him

I called the police with his details, they raced to my house within 5 mins.. told me he is a little shit who keeps breaking into houses but because he's 17 we can't do much.. they were real frustrated with him.

They told me on the quiet that if I had have broken some bones they would have written their report "appropriately"... They asked me to break some bones should I see him again.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about those details. I just know I was really upset seeing peoples small businesses torn apart by looters in America.

I wouldn't want the same thing to happen here. So I'm considering going along tomorrow, remaining quiet on the sidelines but if anyone tries to destroy businesses then I'll get in their way.

This is a good idea. But need a bigger group. They need some whoop ass if they get out of line. Rent a crowd bums

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Look I think it's a bit both ways but the indigenous situation is so over exatuated... What I would like to see is for all the non indigenous people that march and protest about stolen land.... Well they can make a stand and set an example.... Sign there house/land over to an aboriginal department for zero $ compensation then either migrate back to the country of there family's ancestry or continue living in Australia but pay a weekly compensation to live on stolen land.... Hey this is a good idea I'm sure hundreds and thousands of non indigenous will be happy to do this!
There’s no full blood indigenous left so Australia would be a ghost town

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Yes it’s a silly idea mate, you should stay out of it like other normal good people do! It’s very tempting to get involved and protect the innocent but ultimately you and others that join in will only make the matter worse, let the authorities handle it is the most positive and peaceful solution.