Movie Discussion

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From actor, to murderer, to finding god, to being murdered by a devil worshipper. Crazy how things went.
I reckon God is in jail.. It seems a lot of criminals find him in there!

I went to YouTube where it is.. the first comment is from someone he knows. Talks about how he wanted the Satanist in his cell so he could convert him!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Fast Five

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596343/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Dominic Toretto and his crew of street racers plan a massive heist to buy their freedom while in the sights of a powerful Brazilian drug lord and a dangerous federal agent.

This movie was my favorite when it first came out in 2011. Reviewing it today to see if it still holds up. Now, you really need to put on your suspension of disbelief to enjoy this film for what it is. That said, it is still really entertaining. This one brings together cast members from the first 4 movies together, and also injects Dwayne Johnson into the mix. Put that all together and you have one very explosive action film. The movie is centred around the crew planning a heist in Rio by stealing a safe containing $100,000,000. After suffering a few setbacks, the crew eventually manage to get Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) on their side, and he assists them with this mission as they can also assist him in getting what he needs - the corrupt drug lord.

The vault theft scene is definitely unrealistic, however it's what also makes the movie great. I remember how fascinated people were with this film posting how great it is on social media, and today, I can still look at it from that same perspective. Great film - only has some small plot holes which can be overlooked.

9/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
Downsizing

upload_2020-6-1_11-50-15.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1389072/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A social satire in which a man realizes he would have a better life if he were to shrink himself to five inches tall, allowing him to live in wealth and splendor.

You wonder where Matt Damon's career all went wrong - and I'd say it was probably at the time he acted in this movie. So the basic premise is a man shrinks himself to be only 5 inches tall, and his assets allow him to live in luxury as it doesn't cost him that much to live life large as a tiny human. He's part of a minority of 3% of the worlds population who have shrunken to this size to help save the planet (I know right). The movie itself is unique and there are a few very obvious errors in it, and it stretches in length a little too long (over 2 hours), but there are some elements in it which you can appreciate.

For instance, we all know how fast (and funny) Vietnamese people are when they speak English... so this part in the movie was definitely the funniest:

Ngoc Lan Tran: Other night on boat, what kind of fuck you give me?
Paul Safranek: What?
Ngoc Lan Tran: What kind of fuck you give me?
Paul Safranek: What kind? I don't...
Ngoc Lan Tran: American people, eight kind of fuck. Love fuck, hate fuck, sex-only fuck, break-up fuck, make-up fuck, drunk fuck, buddy fuck, pity fuck.

Not a bad time waster if you've got time to waste during lockdown. Downsizing is currently available on Netflix.

6/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
George of the Jungle

upload_2020-6-3_8-29-53.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119190/

A man raised in the jungle by apes falls in love with a wealthy American heiress.

This movie takes me back to 1997. I was with the family and remember we had the choice of watching either Men in Black or this. I had already seen Men in Black earlier with school as part of a substitute for Thursday activities, so I wanted to see this - and I'm glad I did. This movie is absolutely hilarious and highly recommended for a good laugh. There are some minor loop holes however given how funny the movie is, they can be overlooked. I found the opening jingle, below, (performed by US rock band The Presidents of the USA) was particularly catchy. Thomas Haden Church who plays Lyle, Ursula's fiance and the films main villain, is deadset hilarious in this movie.

Final score... perfect comedy feel-good film.

9/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
Mission: Impossible II

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120755/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

IMF agent Ethan Hunt is sent to Sydney to find and destroy a genetically modified disease called "Chimera".

This is another one of those movies that shows us how much Sydney has evolved over the last 20 years. In this movie, they say Sydney's population is 3,000,000. We're almost double that now. They say the population of Australia is 17,000,000. We're closing in on 9,000,000 more than that now. The movie itself is pretty good. It starts with a stealthy theft that quickly turns into a training drill when Tom Cruise's character, Ethan, turns up to recruit Nyah, the thief, for a mission he has in Australia. the majority of the movie is filmed in Sydney with the premise being set just outside Circular Quay in the Governor Philip Tower building. The action is pretty good - about what you'd expect from a spy film - and there are some comedy elements to it as well. Pretty good action flick.

7/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
Connected

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156506/

A man receives a distressing phone call from a woman who has been kidnapped.

The interesting thing about this movie from 2008, is that it's a remake of a movie made only 4 years earlier - Cellular. There's quite a lot of action in this thriller, and it's pretty good for a Chinese film, and quite a few Asian babes in this movie too. There are some scenes, such as the one in the mobile phone shop where he's looking for a charger that are typically Asian and quite funny, and there's also a mystery surrounding it, such as why a group of Interpol officers are acting corrupt. When the real action begins towards the ending of the film, it's non-stop for quite a while. Then when you think it's over, it begins again, as what's thought to be the original ending is quite flat. So it's pretty good for a Chinese movie.

7/10

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Connected

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156506/

A man receives a distressing phone call from a woman who has been kidnapped.

The interesting thing about this movie from 2008, is that it's a remake of a movie made only 4 years earlier - Cellular. There's quite a lot of action in this thriller, and it's pretty good for a Chinese film, and quite a few Asian babes in this movie too. There are some scenes, such as the one in the mobile phone shop where he's looking for a charger that are typically Asian and quite funny, and there's also a mystery surrounding it, such as why a group of Interpol officers are acting corrupt. When the real action begins towards the ending of the film, it's non-stop for quite a while. Then when you think it's over, it begins again, as what's thought to be the original ending is quite flat. So it's pretty good for a Chinese movie.

7/10
Asian cinema is underated, well mainly Chinese and Japanese. I think a lot of people are put off by a majority of movies being subtitled but they do make some movies better than Hollywood do. Speaking of Hollywood, they actually take a lot of Asian movies and remake them, but usual you'll find the Asian version is done better than the American, especially movies from the Japanese horror category. I'm just a big fan of Asian cinema, especially Japanese.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Asian cinema is underated, well mainly Chinese and Japanese. I think a lot of people are put off by a majority of movies being subtitled but they do make some movies better than Hollywood do. Speaking of Hollywood, they actually take a lot of Asian movies and remake them, but usual you'll find the Asian version is done better than the American, especially movies from the Japanese horror category. I'm just a big fan of Asian cinema, especially Japanese.
Like the Ring..the Asian version was scarier. Hollywood has a tendency to ‘Americanise’ the movies. Have you ever seen the ‘Vanishing’ with Kiefer Sunderland? Excellent premise, excellent beginning, but the ending let it down.However, the Dutch/French film is much better, made it earlier and has an ending that tops it off! Ironically they are both directed by George Sluizer.. Check out both if you can..well worth it..:grimacing:

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Spy Next Door

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273678/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Former C.I.A. spy Bob Ho takes on his toughest assignment to date: looking after his girlfriend's three kids, who haven't exactly warmed to their mother's beau.

It's pretty much a family-action movie. If anyone here's seen the Pacifier with Vin Diesel, I'll give it a strong comparison to that. It's not that bad, but really not intense due to it being a PG movie. Not a bad flick to watch with young ones.

5/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
Snowpiercer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6156584/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, the remnants of humanity inhabit a perpetually-moving train that circles the globe, where class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival play out.

If anyone here has heard of the tv series on Netflix, this is the movie it's based on. As you would expect whenever something is remade, they change a few things around in it, and it's no exception that this movie has some great ideas changed around by the tv show. Having said that there are a lot of similarities. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who's watched the show or is considering watching it. There is quite a lot of action as well considering it's all set in a train.

7/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
LA 92

upload_2020-6-10_7-54-36.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6794424/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Twenty-five years after the verdict in the Rodney King trial sparked several days of protests, violence and looting in Los Angeles, filmmakers examine that tumultuous period through rarely seen archival footage.

I found that this documentary film has somewhat ideal timing on Netflix given what's currently happening in the USA and all over the world. Now I was fairly young when the LA riots broke out so seeing a lot of this for the first time was pretty crazy. I mean it starts with the amateur footage of the beating of Rodney King, and soon after, the Killing of Latasha Harlins. It also goes on to show the court cases of both. To think that Latasha's killer, a store owner who thought she was stealing juice pulled a gun on a 15 year old while he back was turned and then shoot her is simply shocking. Then to think her killer simply got 400 hours community service and a $500 fine? That made me angry. It doesn't matter whether or not she is a flight risk, the lady killed a 15 year old girl and needed to be brought to justice.

Then you see the reactions when the 4 officers who beat up Rodney King are let off... you can just see the black people, particularly the older ones who had tears in their eyes, lose faith in the US justice system, and you can tell all hell is about to break lose. You can feel it coming, but when you see the footage of what people had done, you can simply see how bad things are. There were people in their cars simply driving who got beat up for no reason by absolute animals who think that they're doing this for Rodney King. It's absolutely sick. Footage I had never seen before, and then you see the mass damage done by looters. They'd loot from a shop, then to add insult to injury, they'd set it on fire. There was even an older African American guy who was heart broken. He said "I came from the ghetto just like all of you, I'm trying to make it, so why are you stealing my store and my computer?" - the LAFD and LAPD could not cope with the amount of trouble that was being caused and the National Guard was being delayed because they didn't have enough ammunition (like that's really going to be a problem... they're not actually going to shoot anyone given the circumstance).

Anyway the documentary overall is a real eye-opener to those of us who haven't seen it, and even those of us who may remember it, I still recommend this as a lot of the vision is never seen before. Very, very emotional.

It's a documentary but I'll give the production an 9/10 - very highly recommended.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Us by Jordan Peele - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_(2019_film)

It's a movie about murderous dopplegangers that are held as prisoners in an underground bunker but they mimic every action of their above ground copy. If you think this plot is stupid try watching the farking movie.

I give this movie four and a half Highlander 2's.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Us by Jordan Peele - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_(2019_film)

It's a movie about murderous dopplegangers that are held as prisoners in an underground bunker but they mimic every action of their above ground copy. If you think this plot is stupid try watching the farking movie.

I give this movie four and a half Highlander 2's.
I really liked Get Out, his first film as director.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah brilliant movie, which is why I was expecting so much from this one, but alas, it delivered Promeshitus style.
Same here, I enjoyed Get Out. I don't even think me and the missus even finished watching Us.

Wahesh

Reaction score
When the Bough Breaks

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1389139/

A surrogate mom for a couple becomes dangerously obsessed with the soon-to-be father.

I don't think the plot of this movie would surprise anyone. A couple in their 40s hire a surrogate in the hopes that they can have a baby. John (Morris Chestnut) is a successful businessman, and his wife Laura (Regina Hall), is a successful chef. They hire Anna (Jaz Sinclair) as their surrogate unaware that she's being controlled by her abusive boyfriend, and the entire operation is scam. They target the successful couple hoping to niggle more money out of them by having Anna expressing her doubts about giving the baby up. Soon, Anna does not care about the money and sets her sights on John instead. Her state of mental instability begins to show, and is later confirmed when Johns friend runs background check on her. It all comes to a head when very late into the pregnancy when Anna decides to kill Laura to have John all for herself. Can a heavily pregnant woman take her down and win the man of her dreams?

Well this certainly wouldn't fit into the category of daytime tv movies as far as I'm concerned, but good for a predictable laugh her and there.

6/10

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Same here, I enjoyed Get Out. I don't even think me and the missus even finished watching Us.
Wasn't really a fan. There was some nice little subtle hints like in Get Out, but the twist was overly broadcast to the point that anyone would have figured it out even if they weren't paying attention.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Underwater

Take the first two Alien movies, put them underwater, replace Sigourney Weaver with Eminem during his angsty 15 year old girl phase, make the acting much, much worse, throw up on it a bit, then you have Underwater.

This is about as formulaic as you can get for a movie. Highly predictable, provides no setup at all. Honestly it felt like the first half of the movie was cut out. And it's just really bloody boring.

And to make things worse, the ending hints that it's setting up for a prequel or setting up its own Universe (King Kong style), but in the end it's just a crap movie that's not worth the watch

2/10

(1 point for the cool looking Chthulu)

PS; if I ever have to see Kristen Stewart in her underwear again, I'm removing my eyes