News Canterbury coach Dean Pay talks about claims he is facing the sack

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The most telling thing for me is he calls some of our players in-experienced. Of course they will be in-experienced when they are in and out and in again on a weekly basis.

One player starts in the halves. Then another player comes in while the other gets hooked half way through a game. Who comes back to start the next 2 games while the first player was dropped and his replacement was dropped. Head scratching at best.

I know I have been on an anti pay agenda lately. But I doubt many could be overly critical if a lot of the pups had 15-20 games under their belt by now. Instead of giving big mins to useless players, who should never be seen as the future.

If you are losing every week, might as well lose while developing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The most telling thing for me is he calls some of our players in-experienced. Of course they will be in-experienced when they are in and out and in again on a weekly basis.

One player starts in the halves. Then another player comes in while the other gets hooked half way through a game. Who comes back to start the next 2 games while the first player was dropped and his replacement was dropped. Head scratching at best.

I know I have been on an anti pay agenda lately. But I doubt many could be overly critical if a lot of the pups had 15-20 games under their belt by now. Instead of giving big mins to useless players, who should never be seen as the future.

If you are losing every week, might as well lose while developing.
That's the thing, it's not just about wins and losses. We were all resigned to missing the finals again but to lose and not develop your younger players is what frustrates people.

If he did that consistently, then people would tolerate the losses more because at least we'd have something to show for it by the end of the season and going into next year.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the thing, it's not just about wins and losses. We were all resigned to missing the finals again but to lose and not develop your younger players is what frustrates people.

If he did that consistently, then people would tolerate the losses more because at least we'd have something to show for it by the end of the season and going into next year.
Graham Hughes, on his radio show yesterday, was wondering why our forwards run straight into the pack and stand upright with the ball, allowing the tacklers to hold them up, and prevent off loading and quick plays. He reckons a good forward looks for the gaps and hits the opposition low, so they can either play the ball quickly, or make a bust.
He also said, with the season gone, why not just let the team play expansive football, and move the thing around? It would make the opposition run more metres in defence, and might just result in scoring more than 6 points per game.
Sounds like the best coaching advice they could get.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Graham Hughes, on his radio show yesterday, was wondering why our forwards run straight into the pack and stand upright with the ball, allowing the tacklers to hold them up, and prevent off loading and quick plays. He reckons a good forward looks for the gaps and hits the opposition low, so they can either play the ball quickly, or make a bust.
He also said, with the season gone, why not just let the team play expansive football, and move the thing around? It would make the opposition run more metres in defence, and might just result in scoring more than 6 points per game.
Sounds like the best coaching advice they could get.
Yeah it's not hard to see what needs to be done. I'm surprised the club haven't instructed Pay that he has to start playing the youngsters more minutes and prioritise their development.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
pay wasted brett morris on wing in 2018 like i said back then and he payed big time for it

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we dont touch up the more fancied Dragons im turning in my membership lol

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The key to success in Rugby League usually revolves around your halves.
We have a young, inexperienced, and below average halves. Foran will
make a huge difference, but he cant do it on his own.
The forwards seem to be putting in, but they need the halves to provide them
with the support they need. We need another old hard head to help Foran.
I havnt even started on the centres. There non existent.

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
Any truth to that statement on Luke Thompson coming over early? That would be a nice boost.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fairy boy? You’re nothing but a gutless little pussy with your bitchy little comments behind a keyboard
I love it how you knew exactly who I was referring to with my comment.

Just proves my point even further.

Oh and BTW, I'll happily say any of this to your face, if you're ever in Canberra, give me a shout ratboy. Until then, keep up with that defending nature you're so accustom to

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I love it how you knew exactly who I was referring to with my comment.

Just proves my point even further.

Oh and BTW, I'll happily say any of this to your face, if you're ever in Canberra, give me a shout ratboy. Until then, keep up with that defending nature you're so accustom to
Haha yeah I bet. Stop tagging me in things you little turd

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haha yeah I bet. Stop tagging me in things you little turd
Nah, I don't think so.

Watching you get all pissy at every comment someone makes about you and going on your little rating rampages is too much fun