News Dean Pay’s future ‘on Bulldogs radar’ as Kent fumes he was set up to fail

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows there were too many people meddling with the Bulldogs roster and things were left a mess, how can they still be hunting Pay?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ok but lets say you change coaches and get Bennett next month . He will only be able to do what Pay is doing and that is trying to get the best out of the player he's got. Granted he may be more attractive to potential recruits, but you still have cap restrictions and money is as equal to who is the coach in most player decisions on who to play for.

It's just my opinion, but you'd be better off leaving Pay in the seat until you are free to enter the market in a big way and that way your club is far more attractive to a potential coach.
We are free to enter the market now tho for next year's signings. How attractive will the potential players find the failing coach and still not know who the coach is for 2021?

There's no easy answer here. I'm not one for dumping the coach but theres repercussions all round. Depends on your priority. Try to attract new signings of marque players and they will expect a marque coach.

Keep the coach in place till the end of the year and potentially keep losing good players we need signatures on the dotted line.

No easy answer but clearing the decks so everyone knows the clean out is feasible, seems the only way atm.

A new coach for 2021 isn't wanting to be signing players now under Pays nose and the existing playing roster. That situation is untenable. This has to be thought thru.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We are free to enter the market now tho for next year's signings. How attractive will the potential players find the failing coach and still not know who the coach is for 2021?

There's no easy answer here. I'm not one for dumping the coach but theres repercussions all round. Depends on your priority. Try to attract new signings of marque players and they will expect a marque coach.

Keep the coach in place till the end of the year and potentially keep losing good players we need signatures on the dotted line.

No easy answer but clearing the decks so everyone knows the clean out is feasible, seems the only way atm.

A new coach for 2021 isn't wanting to be signing players now under Pays nose and the existing playing roster. That situation is untenable. This has to be thought thru.
Plus we wont be getting Bennett or any existing fg coach next week. It will have to be a fill in for the time being.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'd like it if we didn't keep losing players when he found a side that could win games. I'd like to see him have at least 1 season with a decent side all year before writing him off. He's a rookie coach with a largely rookie side so far. If he didn't get results with a side that should get them, I'd write him off myself. We do need to get some decent players or any coach we get is doomed to fail imo. We have shown the last few years in patches, we can go well with the right ppl on the field. Then we keep losing ppl, it sucks.

Des actually proves my opinion. Look how he's going at Manly, who do have a number of decent and rep players. And look how Des went his last few years here.​

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No one is disputing the circumstances. Pay didn't inherit the best situation. But if it was a better situation he wouldn't have got the job as he wasn't qualified..

Every coaching job in the NRL is precious and Pay was fortunate to be a head coach at all, let alone for three seasons with the record he has.

The fact that the club is further regressing when 2018 should have been the low point is an indictment on Pay. Three years in, a coach should be making progress with the team or at least developing youngsters. Pay has done neither.
Precisely what I have been saying...
My thoughts on the issue, Pay originally was signed by the previous board to a two years contract since then we've lost 8 very influential players among many others, there was a rumour that Ben Anderson was to replace him, a week later the new board extended his contract by a year...Why ?
Was it to reward him for agreeing to dismantle the Bulldogs in order to deal with the salary cap problems and the back-ended payments and the rumour was a meer hoax to get him to agree on releasing the players ?
Was it a way for the new board to buy time to entrench their positions using the situation ?
Was the situation so bad we couldn't attract a better coach ?
Or was it all the above ?
The new board won the election based on promises to fix the problems, after establishing it's severity they delivered a plan to rebuilt the team for 2021 season.
To my understanding, to rebuilt for 2021 we should have started in December 2019, but it's only fair to give them till the end of this season to achieve their promises, otherwise they should face the music...NO MORE EXCUSES !!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I do concede though that part of pays problem is its harder to get good players to come over to play under a rookie coach. Kind of a catch 22. I dont think a different coach would improve our form much, but a different coach might help get better players in. But who, realistically?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kenty also backed des over the club he’s trying to create a rift in our club,pays poor selections dont help him whatsoever,we aren’t top 8 but should be performing alot better than we are

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I do concede though that part of pays problem is its harder to get good players to come over to play under a rookie coach. Kind of a catch 22. I dont think a different coach would improve our form much, but a different coach might help get better players in. But who, realistically?
We seem to have forgotten one...HOOK for 2 years !!!

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Coming from you nasweed I'll take that as compliment:kissingheart:

Run along back to Redfern
Bulldogs fan here: Redfern is a shithole. Maybe you should catch the express Strathfield to parramatta and miss the Harris park station. You silly boomer!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kenty also backed des over the club he’s trying to create a rift in our club,pays poor selections dont help him whatsoever,we aren’t top 8 but should be performing alot better than we are
Our defence is not too bad...
Our attack is dismal and Pay isn't brave enough to take chances on young players that could save us and him.
What have we got to loose ???

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the other option? bring in another unproven coach for the same results - that would be a death nail for the administration. Its not like a bona fide coach was willing to take us on until we clear the cap squeeze (which is now) and start getting some recruits on board.
Not true. Good coaches could be talked into taking the role in 2020 with the promise of money to spend for 2021.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
June 03, 2020 8:59pm
Mark St JohnFOX SPORTS
Dean Pay’s future ‘on Bulldogs radar’ as Kent fumes he was set up to fail

Dean Pay needs a big game from his Bulldogs side on Monday.

James Hooper has revealed Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has been given strict orders to improve his side’s performance in Round 4 or face further conjecture over his future.

The Bulldogs were poor in their Round 3 loss to the Sea Eagles and Pay has been in talks with key club powerbrokers this week.

“Dean Pay’s future at the Bulldogs has been put on the radar this week,” Hooper said on NRL 360.

“There has been further meetings today between Lynn Anderson and Andrew Hill who is the CEO, other people at the Football Department and Dean Pay.

“It has been outlined in no uncertain terms that Dean Pay needs a strong performance from the team on Monday against St George Illawarra and that he is facing an uphill battle to retain his position beyond this season.

“I feel for Dean Pay, the Bulldogs members and fans are immensely frustrated because of the lack of results.”

However Paul Kent believes that Pay was set up to fail, given the lack of support in improving the playing stocks at the club throughout his tenure.

“But this was the danger we always knew what Dean Pay was up against in regenerating this roster,” Kent interjected.

“The conspiracy theory was when they signed him to coach to the end of this year was that they were not giving him next year when he had greater control over the finances and the salary cap.

“He was basically being put in there to go through all the tough period so they could slide someone else into the job when things got easier from a salary cap and recruitment point of view.

“To be honest Dean Pay hasn’t been treated real fair by the Bulldogs. He’s done all the hard work and copped all the hard shots back.”

Regardless Hooper believes that the Bulldogs are losing patience given Pay has won just 18 of his 51 games in charge for a win percentage of just 35.3.

“The issue is when Dean Pay was signed he was signed by the previous Chairman Ray Dibb,” Hooper explained.

“Then the board was overthrown at the elections by Lynn Anderson, Chris Anderson and that ticket.

“Dean has been working for people who didn’t initially hire him. He’s a Bulldogs legend and yes he has been treated poorly given those circumstances.

“But when you look at his win ratio and their results it is very hard to mount an argument to retain him.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...fb987121fdf1776726a?__twitter_impression=true

We all agree we have problems but...
Since when did News Ltd's Daily Telecrap cared for us ?
They have always over dramatized our problems, they thrive on our misery, as a matter of fact what they call journalism was and still is being used to destroy our club !

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our defence is not too bad...
Our attack is dismal and Pay isn't brave enough to take chances on young players that could save us and him.
What have we got to loose ???
The issue for me is most see what positional changes are needed pretty clearly yet pay seems a million miles from knowing

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Kent. A lot of fans still haven't been able to understand the situation we're in.
I agree in that I think some have been too harsh on Pay for the wrong reasons. He's inherited a shit squad, no doubt about it. The main issue I have with him is his fucking useless team and positonal selections. Some of his decisions reek of someone who has no clue about what he is doing.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree in that I think some have been too harsh on Pay for the wrong reasons. He's inherited a shit squad, no doubt about it. The main issue I have with him is his fucking useless team and positonal selections. Some of his decisions reek of someone who has no clue about what he is doing.
He loves throwing shit at a wall hoping it sticks.......problem is nothing has stuck.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not true. Good coaches could be talked into taking the role in 2020 with the promise of money to spend for 2021.
Really its a coach's dream. Full salary cap to work with. Bring in their fav players. The nucleus of players here already can be worked on. Club at its knees so you'd have reasonable autonomy (at least for the first year) but you'd have to have immediate impact...hence no inexperienced coaches or plodders pls.. The 2021 coach must have a well thought out targetting of essential players who can get the job done. Get on well with player managers and a 3 year plan targetting Under 20's, Aust school boys and know every other clubs roster's contract expiry dates backwards, sideways and any which way he can. The retention committee, and our GM Football, Steve Price, needs to step up as well for this situation to turn around.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The issue for me is most see what positional changes are needed pretty clearly yet pay seems a million miles from knowing
Based on what happens in the games, the results, it really really makes you wonder just how productive the training/video sessions would be. Players hanging their heads, no exileration from scoring let alone winning. Sheds must have a miserable vibe atm.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'd like it if we didn't keep losing players when he found a side that could win games. I'd like to see him have at least 1 season with a decent side all year before writing him off. He's a rookie coach with a largely rookie side so far. If he didn't get results with a side that should get them, I'd write him off myself. We do need to get some decent players or any coach we get is doomed to fail imo. We have shown the last few years in patches, we can go well with the right ppl on the field. Then we keep losing ppl, it sucks.

Des actually proves my opinion. Look how he's going at Manly, who do have a number of decent and rep players. And look how Des went his last few years here.​
Keep in mind that the coach who takes us to the 2021 season must be here for at least 3 years to see through the normalising of the salary cap and roster.

Do you think Dean deserves 6 years?

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares what Paul **** thinks, he creates drama to be a hero most weeks.

I was a fan of Pay being the coach as we all knew those few years were going to be average to crap at best, he has been getting paid and now has experience as a first grade coach.
No it hasn't been a success but it was never going to be.
I say give him another year IF there are no better coaches available bc it's not worth changing for change sake but if there is a top shelf coach available then it's bye bye Deanno sorry.

We are all sick of the terrible state the club's has been in for far too long now, we are close to becoming a forgotten powerhouse and most see us as a joke right now.

I'm sure everyone has had a gutful of poor performances and results.