News Bulldogs coach Dean Pay denies senior players wishes for mass changes

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got nothing personal against Pay, but the writing has got to be on the wall with him you would think.

I mean last week's game, woeful, just woeful.
The tail is wagging the dog, Pay is letting these young wannabes dictate his selections. Lewis & Cogger are the worst halves pairing in our history and R Smith is a dead-set winger, has no idea at Centre. Whoever our Hooker is must have picked up the Lichaa handbook... no one wants to run the f’n ball! JMK runs out of dummy half 2 times a game when he should be going for a dart at least once in every second set like every other #9 in the game...

Pay just doesn’t have the coaching pedigree to attract talent and our roster/performances can’t attract a sponsor... What is this club doing to generate positive results????????

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The “4 senior players” is a smokescreen.
This is isn’t fake news. If you think the players are happy with Pay & his coaching staff’s decisions & what’s going on you’re kidding yourself.
There are players within the squad that are unhappy with team selections, positional play & tactics. There is no joy for players when their voices aren’t heard by coaching staff & club management. When they’re not enjoying their football, they vent their spleen to their player manager;- the journalists’ source(s)
I wouldn't be happy if I were a player either. I really wouldn't.

However, if this were true people including the Dailydump are making out that the 4 players are right. It honestly doesn't make sense.

DWZ wanted to play fullback. These 4 players are going against his wishes.
Smith wanted to play centre. These 4 players are going against his wishes.
The two they want dumped. Those 4 players are going against them.

There's a reason that players should never get involved in team selections as it then affects team harmony. Absolute mad if this has any element of truth to it. Realise that Pay is probably destroying team harmony himself with these selections, but it's job to make such calls which he'll be judged on. As soon as players start thinking that they should make such calls is the time to show those players the door. Along with the coach.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It would be absurd to change the coach just for the sake of changing, then again he has been there for over two years, management must have an idea if he is cut for it or not by now, if hey can't tell then we have a much bigger problem.
To get someone like Bellamy we should be working on it now to make it happen !
They’d have to know. Can’t not.

I don’t think Bellyache is realistic.
He’s said this Storm deal is his last.
He likely doesn’t need the money or the aggravation and unless he just can’t stop like Skeletor then to me it’s likely he’ll coach the second Brisbane team if they’re admitted and if he wants a new challenge.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes, of course some of the positional decisions are puzzling. It just can’t be however that everyone one else sees something that Pay doesn’t. There MUST be some reasoning. As for the kids, yes, they need minutes without too many expectations on their shoulders.
We will know soon enough whether heads have been in the sand or not...
Dinkum, is this a hint that you know something but not telling ?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those changes the senior players proposed are sensible..

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They’d have to know. Can’t not.

I don’t think Bellyache is realistic.
He’s said this Storm deal is his last.
He likely doesn’t need the money or the aggravation and unless he just can’t stop like Skeletor then to me it’s likely he’ll coach the second Brisbane team if they’re admitted and if he wants a new challenge.
You never know...
A new challenge at a club like ours plus the $$$

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes, of course some of the positional decisions are puzzling. It just can’t be however that everyone one else sees something that Pay doesn’t. There MUST be some reasoning. As for the kids, yes, they need minutes without too many expectations on their shoulders.
We will know soon enough whether heads have been in the sand or not...
Why must there be some reasoning though? Isn't it just possible he's stubborn and is being conservative and defensive minded?

What possible reason could there be for Averillo to sit for 60 minutes in a blowout or Renouf to play 25 minutes a game? That's not even talking about Wakeham..

There's zero justification for continually picking Lewis over Wakeham, especially after Lewis was benched and has been horrendous this season. Even his defence is poor now...

If as you suggest that Wakeham was so poor in training during lockdown or had some falling out with Pay, then why would they re-sign him for two more years just a few days earlier?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dinkum, is this a hint that you know something but not telling ?
No mate. I don’t claim inside info. I’ve drawn my own conclusions from Member events and various conversations. The time for those conclusions to be proven right or wrong is approaching and if I’m wrong I’ll wear it. If I’m right it should be good news for all Dogs fans.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Why must there be some reasoning though? Isn't it just possible he's stubborn and is being conservative and defensive minded?

What possible reason could there be for Averillo to sit for 60 minutes in a blowout or Renouf to play 25 minutes a game? That's not even talking about Wakeham..

There's zero justification for continually picking Lewis over Wakeham, especially after Lewis was benched and has been horrendous this season. Even his defence is poor now...

If as you suggest that Wakeham was so poor in training during lockdown or had some falling out with Pay, then why would they re-sign him for two more years just a few days earlier?
If he’s stubborn he’s not doing himself any favours after what we saw with Des.

Yes I’ve said some should have more minutes.

Wakeham deal was in play well before lockdown, it only got finished when they came back. Don’t think his extension and being overlooked are necessarily related.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No mate. I don’t claim inside info. I’ve drawn my own conclusions from Member events and various conversations. The time for those conclusions to be proven right or wrong is approaching and if I’m wrong I’ll wear it. If I’m right it should be good news for all Dogs fans.
Unfortunately I have been getting some bad vibes, but then again only time would tell.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The tail is wagging the dog, Pay is letting these young wannabes dictate his selections. Lewis & Cogger are the worst halves pairing in our history and R Smith is a dead-set winger, has no idea at Centre. Whoever our Hooker is must have picked up the Lichaa handbook... no one wants to run the f’n ball! JMK runs out of dummy half 2 times a game when he should be going for a dart at least once in every second set like every other #9 in the game...

Pay just doesn’t have the coaching pedigree to attract talent and our roster/performances can’t attract a sponsor... What is this club doing to generate positive results????????
And here we were thinking Reynolds and Mbye were our worst halves, our current halves are doing a pretty good job of taking that title.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Goulds famous 5 year plans are a bigger scam than Bernie Madoff Investments Co.
He actually said it will take 5 years to turn this around and play finals. He actually did that. Rothfield the drunk he is turned it around. Guss turned it around in 3. He got the juniors program back on . They had plenty of juniors in 1st grade. Gus wanted 75% of the team to be bred. They needed a few hard heads to add for aggression.. as you seen last round panthers are a weak team, they are soft. With cleary coaching they won't win shit he has not cnt about him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Loose lips sink ships, it’s concerning this kind of information is leaked, I’ve no issue with senior players making suggestions on how we can improve, but I’d like to know who the rat in the ranks is. Should be staying in house, clearly all is not well behind the scenes and their performance last week is evidence of that. Looks like change is in the winds
Do you recall the look on Jackson's face walking off at halftime? He looked pissed. Wouldn't doubt he had something to say.