News Bulldogs coach Dean Pay denies senior players wishes for mass changes

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only reason pay got the job was the Bulldogs dna bullshit plus no other established coach would touch our roster.... he's clearly out of his depth and needs to make way for someone else.
Well McGuire did decided to remain unemployed rather than take charge of the Bulldogs before he eventually accepted the Tigers gig.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well McGuire did decided to remain unemployed rather than take charge of the Bulldogs before he eventually accepted the Tigers gig.
Correct. Giving some credence to how screwed up our books were.
If a hard-arse like Madge shied away from the gig - what does that say?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well Ben, ask yourself.
If you thought your boss was an incompetent fool who never listens to ideas, you wouldn't approach him about changes would you.
You'd try to go above him, or you'd leave.
So let's take your frustrated player theory - especially ones that won't be leaving at the end of this year (several will).
Logic suggests that they'd go higher. And those who are leaving will just sit back and collect their money until it's time to go (much like the performance we saw on Sunday).
So if that story suggested that Jacko approached Hill or Lynne there might be a bee's dick of credibility to it. I say it's #fakenews.

PS - I didn't get worked up re: mutiny, I found it amusing. I'm still seeing Wakeham with an eye patch and sword ready to take control of the centre of excellence :-).
That's not the way sporting teams work though. It's a completely different dynamic. The coaches and trainers are the ones they are in contact with the most. And if the team loses trust in certain players or staff, then there are rifts, division, rumours and factions within a team.. Which is what is likely starting to happen now.

Haha. Well soon Pay might have to walk the plank. Time will tell. ;)

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where there's smoke there's fire
It's normal, when the team is loosing, players start to doubt themselves and everything and everyone involved.
Most importantly, how would you feel if you were a young and hopeful player stuck in lower grades behind such under performing team loosing hope of ever improving your game ?
The questions are...
Has Pay been doing a good job utilizing the available talent we have ?
Is Hill succeeding or failing to properly recruit the right talent for 2021 season as promised knowing we might have missed the boat already (1/12/19)
Does the board truly believe that they are on target to achieve what they were voted in for ?
Or do we employ a 5 year Gould plan and then hope for the best ?
All I want to know is what happened to our clubs blue prints ???
Maybe we should ask Paul Dunn, He took them with him to South Sydney on his failed CEO adventure.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That's not the way sporting teams work though. It's a completely different dynamic. The coaches and trainers are the ones they are in contact with the most. And if the team loses trust in certain players or staff, then there are rifts, division, rumours and factions within a team.. Which is what is likely starting to happen now.

Haha. Well soon Pay might have to walk the plank. Time will tell. ;)
In the first instance, sure.
But let's take Jacko as an example. Just signed a multi-year extension, so he's going to be around a while yet.
Let's say he and Deano were at odds and he believed Deano was taking the club down the wrong path.
Let's also say he sensed a growing discontent within the ranks.
As Captain and a long term employee, would he do nothing further? I don't believe so.
That article provides no evidence on what's really going on and it's simply cashing in on people's emotions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Regardless of whether this story is true or not, the fact remains that Pay is playing our best young our best young players in Averillo, Wakeham, Renouf, RFM, Harper, Ogden etc the bare minimum minutes or not at all..

Which is inexcusable for a rebuilding club or one that is supposed to be prioritising the development of younger players as promised by the Andersons.

Even more inexcusable when those players have all outperformed and show much more promise than the more senior players they'd be replacing.

Last edited:

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I’m not a pay fan and have said from the day he signed was bad (admittedly I thought I would give him the doubt when he did his big 1st season pre season talk ). I’ve been consistent that he is not a coach and dud decision .

HOWEVER if this article is true then all those 4 players should be sacked (assuming they are the ones that leaked the story not PAY). These are not the sort of players you want , I go back to my commentary at the time that I questioned quality of lichaa for publically saying at the time he was running against des game plans . These players are not their to dictate how the game is played , who is in the team , positions people play . Their job is to follow the coaches plans no matter how useless he is

also as a side point which useless senior players have the balls to tell him how to play , the senior players have played like shite , the only players that have been playing well are the young guys that never get game time

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or do we employ a 5 year Gould plan and then hope for the best ?
Any 5 year plan is bullshit if you have the right people in charge it can be achieved much quicker. We can’t afford to be in the wilderness after this season. Results have to come in terms of roster and performance or heads have to roll.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ok I’m not a pay fan and have said from the day he signed was bad (admittedly I thought I would give him the doubt when he did his big 1st season pre season talk ). I’ve been consistent that he is not a coach and dud decision .

HOWEVER if this article is true then all those 4 players should be sacked (assuming they are the ones that leaked the story not PAY). These are not the sort of players you want , I go back to my commentary at the time that I questioned quality of lichaa for publically saying at the time he was running against des game plans . These players are not their to dictate how the game is played , who is in the team , positions people play . Their job is to follow the coaches plans no matter how useless he is

also as a side point which useless senior players have the balls to tell him how to play , the senior players have played like shite , the only players that have been playing well are the young guys that never get game time
I largely agree with you, which is why I think the article is garbage.

Double C

Waterboy
Reaction score
Dean Pay has a very strong eye for talent, a complete natural whom needs to step up and take the reigns, needs support from his key senior players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In the first instance, sure.
But let's take Jacko as an example. Just signed a multi-year extension, so he's going to be around a while yet.
Let's say he and Deano were at odds and he believed Deano was taking the club down the wrong path.
Let's also say he sensed a growing discontent within the ranks.
As Captain and a long term employee, would he do nothing further? I don't believe so.
That article provides no evidence on what's really going on and it's simply cashing in on people's emotions.
I don't disagree that the article is likely mostly pieced together based on some rumour. But we're hearing more of these rumours lately and when there's enough smoke, there's fire..

I also don't doubt that it's extremely likely that there would be disharmony at the club. To be honest, there'd be something wrong if there wasn't tension and questions being asked with where the club is at right now...

As for Jacko, I don't think he's that type of guy. I could definitely see other players expressing their displeasure and concerns though.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Any 5 year plan is bullshit if you have the right people in charge it can be achieved much quicker. We can’t afford to be in the wilderness after this season. Results have to come in terms of roster and performance or heads have to roll.
Yes results do have to come. For, by and in 2021.
We will not produce them this year and that has always been known.
If they fail for 2021 they will all go by early 2022 (some sooner). And I have no problem with that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes results do have to come. For, by and in 2021.
We will not produce them this year and that has always been known.
If they fail for 2021 they will all go by early 2022 (some sooner). And I have no problem with that.
Oh yeah I was referring to 2021 with heads have to roll comment this year is a write off already.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
:fearful:
Correct. Giving some credence to how screwed up our books were.
If a hard-arse like Madge shied away from the gig - what does that say?
Yeah DD I agree he took the job nobody wanted.. but maybe now with plenty of salary cap space a marquee coach may want to come and build his own team. Bellamy to bring Munster with him... dreams are free :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the article is likely mostly pieced together based on some rumour. But we're hearing more of these rumours lately and when there's enough smoke, there's fire..

I also don't doubt that it's extremely likely that there would be disharmony at the club. To be honest, there'd be something wrong if there wasn't tension and questions being asked with where the club is at right now...

As for Jacko, I don't think he's that type of guy. I could definitely see other players expressing their displeasure and concerns though.
Where are the rumours outside the Telecrap and The Kennel?
OK, so if there's disharmony, that doesn't excuse the players from not putting in. They are professionals who are well paid to do a job.
And if Jacko isn't 'that guy' then as much as I think he's been a great servant for the club - do we need a new leader?