GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1. The young guys aren't getting quality minutes
2. We're persisting with 3 duds in the spine Lewis, JMK & DWZ
3. Pay is coach
4. Players out of position
5. We let go of CHN. Britt & Stimson step in lol

Please add to the list of things that are not right in this so called 'rebuild'. Or add positives if you disagree and think that the rebuild is on the right track.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's no consistency with where Pay's mind even is.

- Cogger gets one crack and is dropped
- Wakeham gets signed for another 2 seasons and then is dropped for no reason.
- Lewis plays Halfback for 2 rounds and is benched in one of them. Then is back at 5/8 for 1 game and moved back to Halfback. Say what you want about him, but the coach is not helping him at all.
- I thought JMK returned too soon the first few rounds, but I was wrong because he's still playing shit.
- Stimson isn't as bad as people think.
- Britt is a good bench player, he shouldn't be starting.
- DWZ isn't a Fullback and sadly never will be.
- Hopoate should be at Fullback and running this team in attack and defense.
- RSmith NEEDS to go back to the Wing!
- Harper needs to be in this side. What a waste of talent.

There's a lot of I've missed, but there's just so much wrong I can't keep up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There was never a rebuild, it was just the board chatting shit and trying to buy time until the contracts ran out. The way they have been spewing excuse after excuse is embarrassing.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no consistency with where Pay's mind even is.

- Cogger gets one crack and is dropped
- Wakeham gets signed for another 2 seasons and then is dropped for no reason.
- Lewis plays Halfback for 2 rounds and is benched in one of them. Then is back at 5/8 for 1 game and moved back to Halfback. Say what you want about him, but the coach is not helping him at all.
- I thought JMK returned too soon the first few rounds, but I was wrong because he's still playing shit.
- Stimson isn't as bad as people think.
- Britt is a good bench player, he shouldn't be starting.
- DWZ isn't a Fullback and sadly never will be.
- Hopoate should be at Fullback and running this team in attack and defense.
- RSmith NEEDS to go back to the Wing!
- Harper needs to be in this side. What a waste of talent.

There's a lot of I've missed, but there's just so much wrong I can't keep up.
Mate, I agree with all of this, when you spell it out like that, it really is mind-boggling.

We’re definitely short some quality outside backs (centre in particular), I’d definitely put Hoppa at fullback, DWZ/Smith on the wings, Harper 1 centre but I’m not sure on the other, I like the look of Averillo but I think he needs some more time off the bench but at this point, could be worth just putting him in there and seeing how he goes....not a huge amount to lose at this point.

Wakeham/Foran should just be a lock...

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate, I agree with all of this, when you spell it out like that, it really is mind-boggling.

We’re definitely short some quality outside backs (centre in particular), I’d definitely put Hoppa at fullback, DWZ/Smith on the wings, Harper 1 centre but I’m not sure on the other, I like the look of Averillo but I think he needs some more time off the bench but at this point, could be worth just putting him in there and seeing how he goes....not a huge amount to lose at this point/

Wakeham/Foran should just be a lock...
To be honest we aren’t a realistic threat. With roosters coming up soon, we could be 4 losses in the first 5 weeks.

I feel for Averillo because in all honesty what can you do in 10 mins? He deserves a proper crack in 1 position for a few weeks. We aren’t moving too far up the ladder so it shouldn’t be an issue how we performs.

Cogger has been harshly dropped again. The only reason he should have been dropped would have been for Wakeman. Lewis has shown time and time again he lacks talent, lacks direction, lacks skill, lacks pace. He gave himself leadership without earning it. And plays some stupid hero ball/grubbed to himself crap that is flat out retarded to watch.

Right now I’d rather jo Williams (was that his name?) and yileen Gordon to be given shots before Lewis.

He is a fail as a half. Especially a dominant half. The guy couldn’t lead a blind person through a supermarket.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What does rebuild actually mean?

We've been waiting until 2021 which is where our salary cap is finally somewhat in order (due to the last management) where we have to recruit top players (we need three to four of them) to our team. It's obvious up until now we've only targeted opportunists and rejects. If and only if we're able to recruit the correct top players we can push to be a finals team (bottom of the eight). We'll again have little to no room in our salary cap to recruit (possibly a few recruits in the following years) until the contracts of the top players we sign run down (who are going to be on overs by the way) and we're able to renegotiate and start paying and signing players what they're worth (which is only possible if we're successful). During this time (and it should of already started) we should have young players coming through that have a lot of talent but no experience. Currently I don't see anyone bar To'omaga (who's 24) that fits this (I've heard Topine talked about too). I don't watch <18's but if we don't have talent coming through here we're in trouble. Our current team is hot garbage but if we recruit well for 2021 I think some players in the team will look better with top players beside them (especially if they're spine players, e.g. fullback, half and hooker).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the final year of cap hell and next year was supposed to have us firing on all cylinders where we could buy a few players to put the finishing touches on a finals contending team. We are so far away from that it’s not funny. We only 7 legitimate first graders in a squad of 27!

Jackson, Elliott, Hoppa, DWZ, Tolman and Napa are all solid players but they aren’t players you can really build around. You could argue that Foran is if he stays fit but we all know what the story there is. The rest of the squad are rookies, journeyman or players that simply have made little to no improvement since making their debuts.

There has been a knock down but no rebuild it’s been rubble for 2 seasons now. Getting a finals contending squad between now and next March is going to be a huge job considering the positions we need to strengthen and the players available. Just getting into finals contention at the minute feels a million miles away and who just wants that? Winning comps is what it’s all about and that’s even further away.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would have thought part of the process in rebuilding is to get rid of deadwoods and give juniors some experience. By the time we can spend, we get good players in imporant positions. But with us it looks like we have accumulated more deadwoods in the process and some of them seem to have been blocking the path for our juniors. Well, thats my opinion anyway

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does rebuild actually mean?

We've been waiting until 2021 which is where our salary cap is finally somewhat in order (due to the last management) where we have to recruit top players (we need three to four of them) to our team. It's obvious up until now we've only targeted opportunists and rejects. If and only if we're able to recruit the correct top players we can push to be a finals team (bottom of the eight). We'll again have little to no room in our salary cap to recruit (possibly a few recruits in the following years) until the contracts of the top players we sign run down (who are going to be on overs by the way) and we're able to renegotiate and start paying and signing players what they're worth (which is only possible if we're successful). During this time (and it should of already started) we should have young players coming through that have a lot of talent but no experience. Currently I don't see anyone bar To'omaga (who's 24) that fits this (I've heard Topine talked about too). I don't watch <18's but if we don't have talent coming through here we're in trouble. Our current team is hot garbage but if we recruit well for 2021 I think some players in the team will look better with top players beside them (especially if they're spine players, e.g. fullback, half and hooker).
You can’t continue to blame previous management when the current crew have signed duds for the last 2 years. Saying you are aiming for 2021 is as empty as Phil Gould’s 5 year plan

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would have thought part of the process in rebuilding is to get rid of deadwoods and give juniors some experience. By the time we can spend, we get good players in imporant positions. But with us it looks like we have accumulated more deadwoods in the process and some of them seem to have been blocking the path for our juniors. Well, thats my opinion anyway
You’d think we would have been better off blooding younger players all along instead of paying top dollar for a fraud in Napa. Doubt I can count his decent games on one hand.

We should have never gotten Crichton even at bottom dollar. We shouldn’t have gotten Britt even though his name has been around the team before. Like fair enough these aren’t cal breakers. But we have 21-22 year olds that could have slotted in and grown.

We were never going to be successful for 3-4 seasons after haslers sacking. If the management thought we would be I have huge concerns for their knowledge.

What we did do though is fill gaps with dead wood. And end up with a handful of games to a few younger players. To be honest there should be no reason why averillo, wakeman, toomanga, Ogden, Harper couldn’t have 20-30 games under their belt and be starting.

The sad thing is even with 2021 coming which was trumpeted by the club as the end of our cap issues we have Napa, Lewis, Britt, hoppa, dwz all chewing away various amounts of our cap. And then we have Jackson who was recently re-signed and you’d imagine wouldn’t be on peanuts.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They also talked about being a "development club" yet not a single player has actually looked to have developed and is anywhere near establishing themselves within a role in the starting 13.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
All the dot points already mentioned are correct.

Even though we are a reserve grade standard team at best I also believe if the players were atleast playing in their proper positions we would be slightly better.

I can't make any sense out of the chopping, changing, benching, dropping of particularly the spine players. Every single one of them would have no confidence out of how they have been handled.

Pay is Bi-polar I think.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the final year of cap hell and next year was supposed to have us firing on all cylinders where we could buy a few players to put the finishing touches on a finals contending team. We are so far away from that it’s not funny. We only 7 legitimate first graders in a squad of 27!

Jackson, Elliott, Hoppa, DWZ, Tolman and Napa are all solid players but they aren’t players you can really build around. You could argue that Foran is if he stays fit but we all know what the story there is. The rest of the squad are rookies, journeyman or players that simply have made little to no improvement since making their debuts.

There has been a knock down but no rebuild it’s been rubble for 2 seasons now. Getting a finals contending squad between now and next March is going to be a huge job considering the positions we need to strengthen and the players available. Just getting into finals contention at the minute feels a million miles away and who just wants that? Winning comps is what it’s all about and that’s even further away.
Im a little more optimistic for next year - teams can be turned around if money is available - there are NO excuses for next year - if the admin have been honest the money/ positions will be available for next year - then it is up to admin to get the right players. I understand that there may not be many high quality players on the market but contracts mean little. The squad should be significantly different next year.

The current squad is weak - its not even average - its just weak. I cant see any, apart from Foran when fit who would get a start in the top 10 teams - maybe bench players. Most are NSW Cup standard.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The reason there has been a knock down with no rebuild is because the soil is contaminated.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the dot points already mentioned are correct.

Even though we are a reserve grade standard team at best I also believe if the players were atleast playing in their proper positions we would be slightly better.

I can't make any sense out of the chopping, changing, benching, dropping of particularly the spine players. Every single one of them would have no confidence out of how they have been handled.

Pay is Bi-polar I think.
This would have been easier to cop if we had saved cap space for exceptional players who became available and used the remaining spots with juniors. Would we really be worse off by promoting Doorey, Topine, Gray, Kalache, Harper & Katoa?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im a little more optimistic for next year - teams can be turned around if money is available - there are NO excuses for next year - if the admin have been honest the money/ positions will be available for next year - then it is up to admin to get the right players. I understand that there may not be many high quality players on the market but contracts mean little. The squad should be significantly different next year.

The current squad is weak - its not even average - its just weak. I cant see any, apart from Foran when fit who would get a start in the top 10 teams - maybe bench players. Most are NSW Cup standard.
Thompson is a good start and hopefully there’s more to come. You’re right with the contracts meaning little and that’s where the clubs admin have to to get results.