News Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay facing axe ahead of St George Illawarra Dragons clash

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every time an article comes out putting pressure on the coach we usually win the upcoming game.

So we somehow beat the dragons and pay is safe and somehow earns an extention,
I'd never thought I'd say this but I hope we not only lose next Monday - I hope they put 40 on us so we're finally put out of our misery and rid of him once and for all

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line is that Dean Pay is a good assistant coach. He should be in charge of a teams defence (I think thats what he did at Canberra)

He was given a chance at the dogs and it hasnt worked out. I feel a bit sorry for him because he hasnt got the roster but he has also made some ordinary decisions. Also at the time there wasnt many other options available to the board. I think you will find a few people were interviewed and turned down the job because of the state of our cap (including Macguire).

There are a few people on here mentioning holbrook. They obviously havent seen the Titans play this year. And there is no way O'Brien would have chosen us either.

If we have money to spend for next year and make a few decent signings then we might attract a good coach.
Ya dont watch much footy hey howie, thats ok many only watch the dogs.
When deano was the defence coach at canberra they looked like the rabbits of the late 90s lol.
Canberra have improved out of sight since replacing pay as there defence coach.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Getting another coach is not that easy. Flanagan will take over at STG and the others have very little to offer.
Do we want McGregor? We dont want Toovey. Who else is there? Might just be better to stick with Pay and ride it out.
Money available next year, and the inclusion of a few better players might see different results.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every time an article comes out putting pressure on the coach we usually win the upcoming game.

I'd never thought I'd say this but I hope we not only lose next Monday - I hope they put 40 on us so we're finally put out of our misery and rid of him once and for all
I cant ever wish that, fucking sick of the amount of losing already.. I hope the Andersons and Hill have had a collective moment and realized that they need to act and that they are already on the phone to Griffin. There is no down side as he would certainly make positional changes and shake the cage, putting everyone on notice, players and staff.

Personally, unless they could swing Gus in for a 12 or 18 month for a "wham bam" contract to steady the ship, bash some heads, and bring in some talent with our cash I think Griffin at least gives us options. We dont need another "P" plater.

Particularly if the the front office negotiates the deal properly with heavy emphasis on performance and results, everyone will be walking on egg shells as they should because what we are being dished up as a club and team is disgraceful.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant ever wish that, fucking sick of the amount of losing already.. I hope the Andersons and Hill have had a collective moment and realized that they need to act and that they are already on the phone to Griffin. There is no down side as he would certainly make positional changes and shake the cage, putting everyone on notice, players and staff.

Personally, unless they could swing Gus in for a 12 or 18 month for a "wham bam" contract to steady the ship, bash some heads, and bring in some talent with our cash I think Griffin at least gives us options. We dont need another "P" plater.

Particularly if the the front office negotiates the deal properly with heavy emphasis on performance and results, everyone will be walking on egg shells as they should because what we are being dished up as a club and team is disgraceful.

I definitely see where you're coming from mate, and my post might have been a bit harsh but I'm just sick to death of watching this team continue to flounder under pay. As far as new coaches are concerned, I'll happily take griffin or toovey in a caretaker role then assess our options later.

Obviously I have no insight as to what the board are thinking but one thing is for sure, something has to be done

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Getting another coach is not that easy. Flanagan will take over at STG and the others have very little to offer.
Do we want McGregor? We dont want Toovey. Who else is there? Might just be better to stick with Pay and ride it out.
Money available next year, and the inclusion of a few better players might see different results.
Pay will be lucky to last til the end of the month at this rate, let alone the rest of the season, and he definitely shouldn't be given another season.

There are decent options available. Less than this time last year, but still decent options.. Griffin, Henry, Fitzgibbon, Ciraldo, Lam and Wane to name a few..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I doubt anyone could flog the dead horse that is our 30 man roster. Pay took the gig full well knowing that it was a massive career gamble and the train wreck is just about to consume him. Remove Pay & you are still stuck with a caretaker with no credentials and a roster that has 6 NRL run on players and 24 bench/injury backup players. I think they will let Pay ride it into the ground in 2020 unless he starts conjuring continuous 30+ point thumpings. A caretaker could be a possibility but anyone with experience will not take the gig because the roster is beyond bad and not even Mosses cant part this sea.
Lol career gamble, turn it up. The chances of any other club ever offering Pay a head coaching role are almost non existent, it's a fucking privilege to coach our club and this **** somehow fluked his way into the role.

Some of you also need to look past the roster and stop pretending it's an excuse for everything. Pay still needs to coach what he has and he has been nothing but an utter failure and has failed to even get the basics right. Pay should've been cut loose ages ago and the club has had numerous opportunities to do so.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outside of Foran I will be interested in the team selected for next week, has to be changes

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would be good if Communist Life Control stopped launching wet blankets.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watching NRL360 last night and they interviewed Michael McGuire, listening to him talk about the game and strategies for players was good. I honestly think Dean Pay is not capable of that. He is old school which is great, our board is trying to be old school which worked for us in the 80s.......Bulldogs DNA, Nice speeches before games, family club.................. i would rather see Dean Pay absolutely spraying the players at half time, slamming doors, throwing bottles. Players being held accountable. Being nice and old school is going to cost Dean pay his job because we are no hope of beating the dragons this week
I was watching NRL Tonight from last night and they were talking about the pressure on Pay and in the background was him walking around the dressing sheds talking to the players as they stretched/warmed up. One of them had his earphones in listening to music on his phone while another was tapping away on his phone while stretching. I doubt that would be tolerated at the Roosters.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was watching NRL Tonight from last night and they were talking about the pressure on Pay and in the background was him walking around the dressing sheds talking to the players as they stretched/warmed up. One of them had his earphones in listening to music on his phone while another was tapping away on his phone while stretching. I doubt that would be tolerated at the Roosters.
That's easy to explain..Roosters are a professionally run club, the dogs are basically a Sunday pub side.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's because players actually respect what Robinson has to say, whereas ours will do anything to tune Pay out

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
WE NEED FLANO OR SOMEONE BEFORE THE DRAGONS GET HIM. ASAP

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay bleeds Blue & White, they will probably resign him on a 1 year contract and see what he can do with the money from the coffers for next year, if he fails then a new coach will take over what is hopefully by then a stacked team of awesome players.
Then when the new coach comes in the merry go round goes around again.
"Its not his team give him 3 years to build his own team"....
Blah blah blah!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate he can't choose the right team now.. what makes U think he can choose it next yr.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate he can't choose the right team now.. what makes U think he can choose it next yr.
Through the eyes of the loyalists:
2021 Pay GEtS ThE TeAm He NeEdS To CoMpEtETIvE, GiVe OuR DeAn A ChANcE, PaYs OuR MaN

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

It's all in the hands of the players and how they play!