News Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay facing axe ahead of St George Illawarra Dragons clash

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we were smart we'd already have signed Flanagan for 2022 (I think that's when his ban is lifted) a pay him a F ton of money (whatever that is for coaches). Throw Ennis in as assistant coach while you're at it.
Then two would give the team the mongrel needed

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You write I am older. But I’m not pro pay or nay pay. I believe all success before you pick you staff the players need the best to set the policy and processes write from the start. And obviously who ever is the attack coach needs a new one! Someone like Gould over seeing would also be a good start. Once those two changes are made , and if pay can’t make the write player decisions I’ll be the first to say let him go. But how it stands now he is copping the blame for all issues. Age as you Write pointed out I have but it’s taught me get the leadership write and the processes write the rest will follow. That’s in business and football. Look at parra i hate to say it but have sorted a lot there issues out without getting rid the coach! What’s the difference between us and them?
Sounds like you're just looking for excuses. Yes Pay is not the only issue but he is still an issue and needed to be replaced ages ago.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think Shane Flanagan is the most realistic option, he’s won a premiership and is very good recruiter
He may end up being the only option for us in the end, but Its a risky move imo and I'd rather explore the Wane and Lam link fist... Would actually allow us to form an unoffical partnership with Wigan and with Bateman coming and them being a top SL team the trade proposals are endless. Eg Hastings plays for them, there centre wants to come to NRL, Holland is getting shopped to SL... makes perfect sense imo

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Firstly. 2004 anyone. Folkes as coach anyone.
Second. The last 2 seasons we have beaten quality sides all be it at the ass end of the season.
Remember we competed with the Storm several times until the last few minutes.
So this side can win games. Beat the Broncos pretty well last season.

So my question, apart from WTF, is why aren't they playing or trying this hard week in week out?
If Pay can not get them mentally tough or even think to get them up fast enough to limit the thinking time of players like Turbo.
Then he and his backers should be removed.
Flano in straight away.
As for Anderson and no sponsors. She can follow her bankrupt husband out the door.
Remember she was also part of the board for the Titans, and they are fucked too
#sackpaynow

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for the first time, Dean Pay’s head is on the chopping block at Canterbury – with the under-pressure coach facing the end after Sunday’s dismal defeat to Manly, unless he can pull off a miracle.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay faces being dethroned on the Queen’s Birthday if his players can’t conjure a win this weekend.

Influential figures at Canterbury, including large chunks of the 1200 football club members who vote on board elections at AGMs, are becoming agitated after three successive losses to start the year.

Pay is off contract following this season and the pressure on him will significantly increase if the Bulldogs can’t beat fellow strugglers St George Illawarra at Bankwest Stadium on Monday.

Phones were running hot among powerful figures at Canterbury after Sunday’s 32-6 loss to Manly at Central Coast Stadium.

While an appetite for change is growing, it is unanimously accepted at Belmore that Pay is coaching an inferior roster.

Canterbury’s board would be reluctant to sack Pay mid-season, even if results don’t improve. Instead, they would just not re-sign him for next season.

It is understood directors want a final decision on Pay’s future no later than round 10.

If the Bulldogs don’t beat the Dragons, they will meet reigning premiers the Sydney Roosters the following week facing a 0-5 start to the season and Pay would be firmly in the crosshairs of football club members and fans.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the same pressure as Pay to keep his job, so one of them is going to be under more scrutiny at full-time on Monday afternoon.

Former Sharks premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan and ex-Bulldogs champion Phil Gould have been mentioned as possible recruits.

Canterbury would need to lobby Peter V’landys for a reduction in Flanagan’s NRL-imposed suspension, which doesn’t end until after next season.

Gould, who played and coached at Belmore, could be an option as a coaching director.

In one week, Canterbury have drifted from $201 to $301 with the TAB to win the premiership. That puts them rank outsiders alongside Gold Coast in the betting.

It is understood Pay’s future has not been formally discussed by the board but chairperson Lynne Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill did not return calls on Monday to clarify the situation.

Pay has been frustrated by the Bulldogs’ inability to find suitable players to fill positions at fullback, wing, centre, the halves and hooker.

“It’s been a tough few years for Dean,” three-time Canterbury premiership winner David Gillespie said.

“Canterbury’s roster simply hasn’t been able to compete with the top sides. You can’t throw all the blame on the coach. I’d give him more time to build the roster.

“Dean is a good coach and I know he works his backside off and deserves success. I hope it comes this year.”

Another former Bulldogs champion, Michael Hagan, agreed.

“I always liked how Dean played and I like the way he goes about things,” Hagan said.

The liked and respected Pay was signed by the previous board and last year the present board extended his tenure by a season.

Canterbury haven’t won a premiership since 1995 and have not reached the finals for the past three seasons.

While fans aren’t blaming Pay for previous failures, they are becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of success.

he Bulldogs have some serious money to spend on players for next season and remain in contention to sign Canberra forward John Bateman.

Fellow Englishman Luke Thompson has signed a three-year deal with the club from next year.

The TAB had Canterbury as $1.85 favourites yesterday to beat the Dragons ($1.95).

The Bulldogs will welcome back the experienced Kieran Foran from injury for the vital match but are still reeling from the losses of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera, who were deregistered in March for off-field misbehaviour.

After Canterbury made just one linebreak against Manly on Sunday, Pay said: “We need to be better next week.

“We’re not building any pressure. We all need to be doing a better job than we’re doing.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/954b806297d8e31454c175c10f7e1b53
Unless Pay changes his way's of coaching he has to go, how many season's has Tolman been fucking up the attack, and how hard is it for Pay to actually see what the majority of supporters can see every week with Tolman, I know he isn't the only problem but this has gone on way too long, I'm guessing Pay never has or never will say to Tolman get the fuck out of the way when were attacking the opposition's try line because he cannot coach, also we need a couple of game breakers signed and going by what we have seen so far no one want's to be coached by Pay unless their fringe player's.
I still won't believe Pay's head is on the chopping block until It's a main headline and even then I bet the board re-signs Pay for another 2 season's regardless on how the team performs this season.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our game wont be the match of the round.......but at least we scored one try against Manly

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
nasheed here,
sacking him mid season wont do a thing. just dont resign him ext year and bring in Bennett or Flanagan.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds like you're just looking for excuses. Yes Pay is not the only issue but he is still an issue and needed to be replaced ages ago.
I appreciate you thoughts. But I’m not involved with the club apart from a supporter and someone who donated. I have no reason to make excuses!
If we have the write governance. And find the issue is only pay I’ll be the first to say go. But our attack is worse in the Comp. I’m old and I’ve played the game. The coach from my knowledge is not the one making all the calls even in junior leagues. We all support the same club and the passion shown here proves that. But chop and change will not fix our great club. If Steve G is as I believe our attack coach he needs to be first to go. Then some players. Gould as football manager. And a special coach comes in for the halves a Cronk for halves and maybe a Ennis for hooker. That would be a good start

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No more rookies. We need proven coaches.
The way I see it we have 2 options from 2021

Option 1
Shaun Wane (head coach)
Adrian Lam (assistant) if he's leaving Wigan, signing his young fella is an easy way to get him on board

Option 2
Shane Flanagan (head coach)
Michael Ennis (assistant)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No more rookies. We need proven coaches.
Wane has lots of experience though, given it's not NRL, but Robinson didn't have any either, I get roosters are stacked but he's a solid option imo. Lam I'm all for a he's was a decent half, we need alot of help there.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s also a cheat, a liar and a grub.
Are you sure you’re a Bulldogs fan Alzz?
I agree with no Major sponsorship And tight markets we don’t need to be associated with another scandal. We may need to change coach but not at the expense of loosing everything. Let’s be measured not reactive and take a approach that will support this great club to go forward again where it belongs.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wane has lots of experience though, given it's not NRL, but Robinson didn't have any either, I get roosters are stacked but he's a solid option imo. Lam I'm all for a he's was a decent half, we need alot of help there.
Wane Bennett?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We know this year is a write off. However ohn order to attract players, as well as putting existing players on notice. Change is required. Our entire club history is in jeopardy. I won't trade that for anything. Immediate change is required wether we make the 8 or not.
nasheed here,
sacking him mid season wont do a thing. just dont resign him ext year and bring in Bennett or Flanagan.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bring him in
anyone is better
need new direction, we are absolutely fucked at the moment
Regardless of new direction I’ll never agree with Flanagan and would vote against any board who’d endorse him. It’s a redundant discussion for now anyway as he’s not allowed to be a head coach until 2022 unless the NRL changes his parole conditions.