News Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay facing axe ahead of St George Illawarra Dragons clash

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not for the first time, Dean Pay’s head is on the chopping block at Canterbury – with the under-pressure coach facing the end after Sunday’s dismal defeat to Manly, unless he can pull off a miracle.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay faces being dethroned on the Queen’s Birthday if his players can’t conjure a win this weekend.

Influential figures at Canterbury, including large chunks of the 1200 football club members who vote on board elections at AGMs, are becoming agitated after three successive losses to start the year.

Pay is off contract following this season and the pressure on him will significantly increase if the Bulldogs can’t beat fellow strugglers St George Illawarra at Bankwest Stadium on Monday.

Phones were running hot among powerful figures at Canterbury after Sunday’s 32-6 loss to Manly at Central Coast Stadium.

While an appetite for change is growing, it is unanimously accepted at Belmore that Pay is coaching an inferior roster.

Canterbury’s board would be reluctant to sack Pay mid-season, even if results don’t improve. Instead, they would just not re-sign him for next season.

It is understood directors want a final decision on Pay’s future no later than round 10.

If the Bulldogs don’t beat the Dragons, they will meet reigning premiers the Sydney Roosters the following week facing a 0-5 start to the season and Pay would be firmly in the crosshairs of football club members and fans.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the same pressure as Pay to keep his job, so one of them is going to be under more scrutiny at full-time on Monday afternoon.

Former Sharks premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan and ex-Bulldogs champion Phil Gould have been mentioned as possible recruits.

Canterbury would need to lobby Peter V’landys for a reduction in Flanagan’s NRL-imposed suspension, which doesn’t end until after next season.

Gould, who played and coached at Belmore, could be an option as a coaching director.

In one week, Canterbury have drifted from $201 to $301 with the TAB to win the premiership. That puts them rank outsiders alongside Gold Coast in the betting.

It is understood Pay’s future has not been formally discussed by the board but chairperson Lynne Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill did not return calls on Monday to clarify the situation.

Pay has been frustrated by the Bulldogs’ inability to find suitable players to fill positions at fullback, wing, centre, the halves and hooker.

“It’s been a tough few years for Dean,” three-time Canterbury premiership winner David Gillespie said.

“Canterbury’s roster simply hasn’t been able to compete with the top sides. You can’t throw all the blame on the coach. I’d give him more time to build the roster.

“Dean is a good coach and I know he works his backside off and deserves success. I hope it comes this year.”

Another former Bulldogs champion, Michael Hagan, agreed.

“I always liked how Dean played and I like the way he goes about things,” Hagan said.

The liked and respected Pay was signed by the previous board and last year the present board extended his tenure by a season.

Canterbury haven’t won a premiership since 1995 and have not reached the finals for the past three seasons.

While fans aren’t blaming Pay for previous failures, they are becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of success.

he Bulldogs have some serious money to spend on players for next season and remain in contention to sign Canberra forward John Bateman.

Fellow Englishman Luke Thompson has signed a three-year deal with the club from next year.

The TAB had Canterbury as $1.85 favourites yesterday to beat the Dragons ($1.95).

The Bulldogs will welcome back the experienced Kieran Foran from injury for the vital match but are still reeling from the losses of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera, who were deregistered in March for off-field misbehaviour.

After Canterbury made just one linebreak against Manly on Sunday, Pay said: “We need to be better next week.

“We’re not building any pressure. We all need to be doing a better job than we’re doing.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/954b806297d8e31454c175c10f7e1b53

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury haven’t won a premiership since 1995? Who is fact checking this rubbish?
Not for the first time, Dean Pay’s head is on the chopping block at Canterbury – with the under-pressure coach facing the end after Sunday’s dismal defeat to Manly, unless he can pull off a miracle.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay faces being dethroned on the Queen’s Birthday if his players can’t conjure a win this weekend.

Influential figures at Canterbury, including large chunks of the 1200 football club members who vote on board elections at AGMs, are becoming agitated after three successive losses to start the year.

Pay is off contract following this season and the pressure on him will significantly increase if the Bulldogs can’t beat fellow strugglers St George Illawarra at Bankwest Stadium on Monday.

Phones were running hot among powerful figures at Canterbury after Sunday’s 32-6 loss to Manly at Central Coast Stadium.

While an appetite for change is growing, it is unanimously accepted at Belmore that Pay is coaching an inferior roster.

Canterbury’s board would be reluctant to sack Pay mid-season, even if results don’t improve. Instead, they would just not re-sign him for next season.

It is understood directors want a final decision on Pay’s future no later than round 10.

If the Bulldogs don’t beat the Dragons, they will meet reigning premiers the Sydney Roosters the following week facing a 0-5 start to the season and Pay would be firmly in the crosshairs of football club members and fans.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the same pressure as Pay to keep his job, so one of them is going to be under more scrutiny at full-time on Monday afternoon.

Former Sharks premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan and ex-Bulldogs champion Phil Gould have been mentioned as possible recruits.

Canterbury would need to lobby Peter V’landys for a reduction in Flanagan’s NRL-imposed suspension, which doesn’t end until after next season.

Gould, who played and coached at Belmore, could be an option as a coaching director.

In one week, Canterbury have drifted from $201 to $301 with the TAB to win the premiership. That puts them rank outsiders alongside Gold Coast in the betting.

It is understood Pay’s future has not been formally discussed by the board but chairperson Lynne Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill did not return calls on Monday to clarify the situation.

Pay has been frustrated by the Bulldogs’ inability to find suitable players to fill positions at fullback, wing, centre, the halves and hooker.

“It’s been a tough few years for Dean,” three-time Canterbury premiership winner David Gillespie said.

“Canterbury’s roster simply hasn’t been able to compete with the top sides. You can’t throw all the blame on the coach. I’d give him more time to build the roster.

“Dean is a good coach and I know he works his backside off and deserves success. I hope it comes this year.”

Another former Bulldogs champion, Michael Hagan, agreed.

“I always liked how Dean played and I like the way he goes about things,” Hagan said.

The liked and respected Pay was signed by the previous board and last year the present board extended his tenure by a season.

Canterbury haven’t won a premiership since 1995 and have not reached the finals for the past three seasons.

While fans aren’t blaming Pay for previous failures, they are becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of success.

he Bulldogs have some serious money to spend on players for next season and remain in contention to sign Canberra forward John Bateman.

Fellow Englishman Luke Thompson has signed a three-year deal with the club from next year.

The TAB had Canterbury as $1.85 favourites yesterday to beat the Dragons ($1.95).

The Bulldogs will welcome back the experienced Kieran Foran from injury for the vital match but are still reeling from the losses of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera, who were deregistered in March for off-field misbehaviour.

After Canterbury made just one linebreak against Manly on Sunday, Pay said: “We need to be better next week.

“We’re not building any pressure. We all need to be doing a better job than we’re doing.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/954b806297d8e31454c175c10f7e1b53

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is what happens when people don't place realistic expectations on the team. If people on the board actually think Pay needs to win this weekend otherwise he should be sacked we might as well do it today or get those people off the board (personally I think they're a bit delusional since we were tipped to come second last which technically means the only team we should beat are the Titans). Unless we bring in a top coach I don't see anything changing so lets just become the next Titans I guess. The roster is hot garbage (for good reason, two to three million under the salary cap) and there is no sugar coating it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we were smart we'd already have signed Flanagan for 2022 (I think that's when his ban is lifted) a pay him a F ton of money (whatever that is for coaches). Throw Ennis in as assistant coach while you're at it.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should stop blaming the roster we almost made top 8 last year if we had a better start to the year we could have made it if pay wasn't a dud a picked the right team through the year as well could have been different no player has improved under pays coaching at end of the day as soon as the club let's him go the better

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s as clear as daylight, he has to go. We all respect he took on a weak roster but as I’ve said previously it’s no excuse for our style of play, lack of structure, mismanaged team selections, and general regression of every player in our top squad.
The game has moved on, and a top coach is needed for so many reasons beyond the obvious win / loss position each week.
Thanks Deano, enjoy your next steps in whatever you choose to do outside of this club.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What roster is he fucking building he's brought over two unwanted plodders in Stimson and Britt, that money could have been better spent in chasing Curtis Scott or even George Williams
200k players (close to minimum wage) vs much more expensive players (top players wanted by other clubs, in a much better position than us). We've targeted opportunists and rejects (with little to no other options) over top players so we don't have to pay overs or at least a lot less in overs. Like I've been saying forever hopefully that changes for 2021. We've signed Thompson on a rumoured ~800k (personally not the biggest fan) but that shows we're going to pay overs for top talent. Now we need three to four more top players and hopefully we're a top eight side afterwards.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They should stop blaming the roster we almost made top 8 last year if we had a better start to the year we could have made it if pay wasn't a dud a picked the right team through the year as well could have been different no player has improved under pays coaching at end of the day as soon as the club let's him go the better
Pay and the roster overachieved last season... we were predicted for the wooden spoon in 2019 and 2020 second last...

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No use sacking a coach unless you have a person in mind,Newcastle showed vision and got O'Brien, titans went looking for Holbrook,Canterbury what think Pay is the answer,signing him for 1 yr extension there's no faith,like I've said here before,sign a coach in 20 sort thru the shit and give him a chequebook,Canterbury have missed the boat big-time Sat on there hands again ,I hope I'm wrong but at this stage pay isn't good enough and there's no coaches available unless you get Wayne Bennett,poach bellamy ,entice trent Robinson for a new challenge

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No use sacking a coach unless you have a person in mind,Newcastle showed vision and got O'Brien, titans went looking for Holbrook,Canterbury what think Pay is the answer,signing him for 1 yr extension there's no faith,like I've said here before,sign a coach in 20 sort thru the shit and give him a chequebook,Canterbury have missed the boat big-time Sat on there hands again ,I hope I'm wrong but at this stage pay isn't good enough and there's no coaches available unless you get Wayne Bennett,poach bellamy ,entice trent Robinson for a new challenge
100%. It's just a sideways swap. As long as Pay has the dressing room it doesn't make much sense to me. We should be lining up Flanagan (or another coach in the same calibre) for 2022 (or even 2021 if possible).

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is responsible for the game plan and the lack there of. Picks the wrong player constantly and tries make players learn positions in fg. What the fuck do they do all week.

Teams don't even have to video work on the dogs anymore every one of set is so predictable. To the point last night because the game was at 6.00 my wife asked me why am watching replay of a game we lost.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't see him being punted but don't see him here in 21

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Something must change, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. This club has been insane for some time. Problem is I have zero confidence in Georgalis or Antonelli, one of whom will probably end up caretaker coach until we appoint someone for 2021 and beyond.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: pay goes then half the roster needs to go ..... useless punks.....