Des Hasler

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
People forget how bad the 2014 regular season was, we went 5 wins from 14 games from round 11 and lost to the Titans after being 18-0 up at half time
dont worry about the game against the titans, they made up for it the next week when they raced to a 24-0 halftime lead against melbourne and then didnt let them back into the game

that team was waiting for the finals to begin after the nsw team borrowed our halves to finally win against qld, we were reduced to some very makeshift halves combinations

chase stanley/moses mbye
josh jackson/michael ennis
josh jackson/tony williams
tony williams/trent hodkinson

2014 was excellent and one of my biggest regrets was that ennis wasn't there for the grand final, he tormented souths that season and he definitely would make a difference

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You conveniently forget that Hasler also left Manly a complete and utter rabble for many years after employing the same salary cap strategy. They have only recovered from it in the last few years. Are you going to try to blame that on Dib and Castle too?

You think it was Dib and Castle who demanded we pass on players like Moloney and repeatedly chase Foran - finally signing him on massive overs when he was well past his physical best and an injury plagued rabble? You think it was Dib and Castle who told him to sign Woods on massive overs when we clearly couldn’t afford it? They told Des they wanted big recruits and that was a selfish ploy to preserve their jobs which we couldn’t afford, but they did not tell him who to target, nor did they dig us into the very precarious financial position we were already in before those signings.

Yes, Dib and Greenberg deserve a lot of blame for giving Des complete control and Dib and Castle need to be held accountable for protecting him for so long and trying to preserve their jobs at the expense of the club.... but anyone who thinks we should have kept Des is either crazy, or has the memory of a gold fish.

Des is a good coach in many ways, but he’s a selfish prick who is all about himself. He did a good job here in his first few years when he had a point to prove.... but his strategy of back ending contracts has dug two clubs into massive holes now. Not only did he screw us ofer financially, but it’s pretty clear his heart wasn’t in the job at all in his final years here and he was only interested in claiming a pay cheque.

our biggest mistake as a club was not getting rid of him and trying to fix his ness sooner. By digging in our heels and protecting him, we only blew our chance to sign more proven coaches and made the mess he created even worse.

Fuck Des Hasler..... Manly will have a few good years and he will probably dig them into another massive hole before too long.... and he was clearly taking the piss out of our club with some of those “big name signings” anyway.

He should giver be allowed back in Belmore again. If we ever play Manly at Belmore, we should build him a coaching box outside the ground. He doesn’t give a fuck about our club and he is toxic.
You know des isn't an accountant

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This guy got away with murder or at least highway robbery with us and now he's getting the acolades!

Once again he's walked into an established and talented side and he’s reaping the rewards for it. I feel for the Sea Eagles because they’ll be where we are soon in a few years when those back ended contracts catch up to them.

Then there’s the Bulldogs who are still reeling from what he did to us. He let go of true Bulldogs in his time and replaced them with Sea Eagles has-beens on big contracts. Ironically he’s now got Marty Taupau running out on his side after getting rid of him!

There’s no denying we somehow got worse with Pay since he’s come in, but this has all started from Des and we can’t forget that.

Dean Pay sadly is not an NRL coach. He kept the shit structures Des had and anything new he’s added has us even worse.

Tough time being a Bulldog supporter right now. I watch all the games and see former Bulldogs out there playing for other teams, while our side are imposters running in our proud colours.

We need a complete factory reset. Get rid of the players, get rid of the coaching staff and start again. This whole slow rebuild shit isn't working.
You can’t blame pay for the rabble he was left with after des and the old board.
But I’m getting tired of him sticking with Lewis!!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
This guy got away with murder or at least highway robbery with us and now he's getting the acolades!

Once again he's walked into an established and talented side and he’s reaping the rewards for it. I feel for the Sea Eagles because they’ll be where we are soon in a few years when those back ended contracts catch up to them.

Then there’s the Bulldogs who are still reeling from what he did to us. He let go of true Bulldogs in his time and replaced them with Sea Eagles has-beens on big contracts. Ironically he’s now got Marty Taupau running out on his side after getting rid of him!

There’s no denying we somehow got worse with Pay since he’s come in, but this has all started from Des and we can’t forget that.

Dean Pay sadly is not an NRL coach. He kept the shit structures Des had and anything new he’s added has us even worse.

Tough time being a Bulldog supporter right now. I watch all the games and see former Bulldogs out there playing for other teams, while our side are imposters running in our proud colours.

We need a complete factory reset. Get rid of the players, get rid of the coaching staff and start again. This whole slow rebuild shit isn't working.
I feel your frustration.
Been supporting the team for 70 years, and this has been the worst period I can recall.
In the past we've been under the pump, but there was always a Canterbury spirit that shone through. It defined our club.
That light has gone.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you see Nathan Brown's record with a side that wasn't competitive? A few wooden spoons in there (also lost the dressing room in his final season, he was also expected to make the finals with the roster he had in 2019). Flanagan for 2021's ideal but Dragons surely favourites.
The only reason i mentioned Nathan Brown is because he can rebuild and attract decent players to the club he was coaching at. So far Dean Pay has failed at doing this. Maybe the Bulldogs will announce new signings for 2021 after 30 June.

Anyway, Anthony Griffen would be my pick.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can’t blame pay for the rabble he was left with after des and the old board.
But I’m getting tired of him sticking with Lewis!!
I'm tired of watching our team tackled before the ball has cleared the ruck.
I'm tired of watching us stand and wait for the opposition to run to us.
I'm tired of watching us ten metres out from their line, with an unmarked winger, give the ball back inside to a plodding forward who will just go to ground on the fifth.
I'm tired of watching us lose the ball when we're under pressure.
I'm tired of watching us have no preparation, and no clue when the opposition is in our half.
I'm tired of watching failed combinations trotted out each game, and working combinations broken after they show promise.
I'm tired of waiting to see promising young talent, who are held back even when the season is over, and we can afford to give them the game time they need.
I'm tired of seeing the disappointment and frustration on the faces of the few talented and committed players we have, as their team mates miss opportunity after opportunity.
I have to force myself to watch our games; and do so without any enthusiasm.
I actually dread the prospect of game day, and look for something else to do afterward to take my mind off yet another disaster.
I've stopped trying to find replays of old games, because there are no games I can find where we had a win.
This is the lowest I've ever been in my 71 years as a supporter of the Dogs. And there is no indication it will get better.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought we were over blaming des for being dog shit now under pay

Guess I was wrong

Malla

Reaction score
Can't put the blame solely on Des. End of the day his coaching record was actually pretty good.. I think more blame is on Castle and Dib. They're the ones that should have had more control on Des' spending, the salary cap, the players we were bringing in and who we had looking after junior development and growth.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The biggest mistake we made was in our timing of sacking Des. It was 100% politically motivated and we left ourselves with 0 decent options for a coach.

We are at risk of making that same mistake again if we sack Pay before lining up a proven coach.
True. The worst thing for poor old Pay is that Des left this club in such a mess, that we cannot attract players to even come. The only thing I can possibly see as a ray of light for us is that this was our first game back after 2 months off - maybe the players still have cob webs they need to shake.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I feel your frustration.
Been supporting the team for 70 years, and this has been the worst period I can recall.
In the past we've been under the pump, but there was always a Canterbury spirit that shone through. It defined our club.
That light has gone.
It’s a pilot light Chris, it doesn’t go out, it just needs stoking. Let’s see what happens when the transfer window closes. Keep your chin up, things can only get better :-).

The Big Issue

Waterboy
Reaction score
The biggest mistake we made was in our timing of sacking Des. It was 100% politically motivated and we left ourselves with 0 decent options for a coach.

We are at risk of making that same mistake again if we sack Pay before lining up a proven coach.
Spot on. Not to mention we are broke and can’t afford to pay for a new coach and pay out Dean!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Spot on. Not to mention we are broke and can’t afford to pay for a new coach and pay out Dean!
WTF ! We have plenty of cash, what we don't have is Salary Cap space ............. this year.............but next year we have plenty enough.

Go Dogs

chrise186

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dunno about getting rid of pay completely. Would be a great assistant coach with us as he seems to be able to get the players playing for each other but seems to lack creativity and general coaching ability

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You know des isn't an accountant
He’s a control freak, a maths teacher and the common denominator of two clubs
Who have had their salary caps ruined. Use your fucking brain for once, Nashy. :p

Double C

Waterboy
Reaction score
Des Hasler took us to two grand finals, then tore the club apart. We are lucky to have a character like Dean Pay picking up the pieces, we need more from our senior men and some key young talent from other clubs.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vent about des is whilst he was here, he tried to get some of his manly boys over here for a paypacket at any cost. Not one of his bulldog faves are on his radar to join him at the eagles. No Tolman , Lichaa or any other player who was bum sniffing him. We released two rep hookers for lichaa. And when that wasn't working we played mbye instead of counting our losses and getting a proper hooker.
When Des lost 2 hookers before this season's kickoff he went and replaced with Levi. Regardless of his ability he is playing ok and in his proper position.

Dogsofwar74

Waterboy
Reaction score
sunday tele- "which under fire nrl coach is already offside with his playing group over confusing team selections around the halves, using combinations completely different to how they trained in the off season?"
it could be the beginning of the end for pay.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m truly over the Des blame game and what he did or not years ago,
We are all aware of our history which has placed us in a terrible position which in turn denies the club from fielding a competitive squad.
My concerns are what is going to happen in the next 6-18 months to be honest.
The current team and coach have some serious issues to address with 17 rounds to play as it was quite obvious yesterday,
I hope the boys pick themselves up a bit.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
My vent about des is whilst he was here, he tried to get some of his manly boys over here for a paypacket at any cost. Not one of his bulldog faves are on his radar to join him at the eagles. No Tolman , Lichaa or any other player who was bum sniffing him. We released two rep hookers for lichaa. And when that wasn't working we played mbye instead of counting our losses and getting a proper hooker.
When Des lost 2 hookers before this season's kickoff he went and replaced with Levi. Regardless of his ability he is playing ok and in his proper position.
he cut lichaa, it was payt who then decided to resign him with not one, but a two year deal.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
sunday tele- "which under fire nrl coach is already offside with his playing group over confusing team selections around the halves, using combinations completely different to how they trained in the off season?"
it could be the beginning of the end for pay.
Not hard to guess is it???