Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No other option? You make it seem as if no other coach could do any better.. Well ask yourself this, could another coach do any worse?

And if not, then why delay the inevitable and just write off 17 valuable games to develop players by keeping Pay?

Look at Adam O'Brien and how well he's doing. Many here scoffed when he was suggested as a candidate and he has Newcastle undefeated.
Of course other coaches would do better. If I'm honest, many of them would. I'm not a Pay fan, never have been. But I'm honestly saying which ones are available.

We need to stop living in fantasy land saying that there are all the coaches out there waiting to come to the dogs. There aren't. There simply aren't. I'd love for Pay to be replaced by someone better who'd actually make us look like a team. But I struggle to think that this is reality atm.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course other coaches would do better. If I'm honest, many of them would. I'm not a Pay fan, never have been. But I'm honestly saying which ones are available.

We need to stop living in fantasy land saying that there are all the coaches out there waiting to come to the dogs. There aren't. There simply aren't. I'd love for Pay to be replaced by someone better who'd actually make us look like a team. But I struggle to think that this is reality atm.
You're looking at it all wrong. The only reason Pay got the job was because no one else wanted it due to the cap issues and Dib wanted an ex-Bulldog for a desperate last minute election run.

Now we have ample cap space for 2021 for any coach to build the roster of their choosing from the ground up in year one.. That's a huge attraction for any coach and rare in the NRL to have such cap flexibilty.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Now we have ample cap space for 2021 for any coach to build the roster of their choosing from the ground up in year one.. That's a huge attraction for any coach and rare in the NRL to have such cap flexibilty.
You make it sound so sweet and simple but it doesnt go that way

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Jimmy dymock didn't want the job?
You're looking at it all wrong. The only reason Pay got the job was because no one else wanted it due to the cap issues and Dib wanted an ex-Bulldog for a desperate last minute election run.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So Jimmy dymock didn't want the job?
Yes he did. Sorry, a whopping two candidates... Both of whom were ex Bulldogs, cost nothing and none of which were qualified for the job. But I would have rather had Dymock for sure.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We haven’t improved under Pay’s coaching. He has recruited poorly with what he was given. He plays players out of position and keeps under performing players. Given the circumstances I wanted him to do well. However, he should not get an extension or see out the year. We have wasted enough time.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I know it's all in hindsight now but what made the inexperienced Pay a better choice than Dymock who had a long association with the team and the club ?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes he did. Sorry, a whopping two candidates... Both of whom were ex Bulldogs, cost nothing and none of which were qualified for the job. But I would have rather had Dymock for sure.
The Sharks didn’t want Dymock either and opted for Morris. Great player in his day but not a head coach. (and no, not comparing him to Pay).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I know it's all in hindsight now but what made the inexperienced Pay a better choice than Dymock who had a long association with the team and the club ?
Ray knew he was in trouble leading into the election so the decks were cleared, which included Dymock being part of the Hasler era...

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ray knew he was in trouble leading into the election so the decks were cleared, which included Dymock being part of the Hasler era...
I will go back to my original opinion about Pay or Dymock,
I thought they both needed an experienced mentor and still do !

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Look. I understand the situations are different in regard to money available to spend etc. We're marginally more attractive as the coach will at least be able to spend some money, and bring in his own players.

Clearly though our squad is shit, and a new coach won't be buying 13 new players. 3-4 tops. Will those 3-4 players be able to make the necessary difference? No. So we need to have a coach that will bridge that gap. Who? Who would you put in there? That's the question.

I agree that Pay isn't good enough, or hasn't shown he's good enough yet. But all I hear is people saying we need to bring someone else in as if we've got a whole line of people waiting to take the reigns. We don't. And there aren't many options out there.

No matter what people say, I don't agree that we should be giving the position to a new up-and-coming coach. Not with this squad. So who then?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will go back to my original opinion about Pay or Dymock,
I thought they both needed an experienced mentor and still do !
I think a former 1st grade coach as one of Pays assistants would have benefited him in a huge way.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Sharks didn’t want Dymock either and opted for Morris. Great player in his day but not a head coach. (and no, not comparing him to Pay).
Dymock was low on confidence to take the job on full time
Needless to say how I know but I do !

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dymock was low on confidence to take the job on full time
Needless to say how I know but I do !
I don’t doubt that. Jimmy likely made a good assistant, but I don’t see him as having the strategic and communication skills required to be Head Coach, so he probably didn’t sell himself too well.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t doubt that. Jimmy likely made a good assistant, but I don’t see him as having the strategic and communication skills required to be Head Coach, so he probably didn’t sell himself too well.
Lack of confidence is a killer !!!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Time for a coach with previous FG experience.. our last 2 rookie coach appointments Pay and Moore havent gone well..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

That’s right mate. Coaches literally turned us down when seeing the situation Hasler had left us in.
Pay had the nuts to take on the role when others wouldn’t and for that along with the fact he was a top player, played for his country and had more toughness than many here could dream about he has my respect. Who else do we get? Another unproven? If Pay had a decent roster how we he go? We will probably never know. He has never even had a full roster cap wise and now player wise to work with

Status
Not open for further replies.