News Press conference

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think these types of performances have just been normalised because they happen so regularly.
We’ve only been beaten by a margin of more than 8 twice in our past 15 games. Not sure how you’ve come to the conclusion that tonight’s thrashing is something that’s become normalised.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you’re right mate.
He’d be privy to the plans.
He said ‘these are the blokes we’ve got to work with’ in the now.
Watch me get howled down :-).
I hope I’m right... would be timely...

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im not sure these type of performances like tonight would have been part of the rebuild plan in Pays third year in charge. Let’s hope the future ones go more according to plan.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think these types of performances have just been normalised because they happen so regularly.
Another regular occurence...."we need to be better at what we're doin *hangdog face*

I do feel sorry for the guy. He can't pick the best 17, can't manage the bench, has re-signed reservegraders, can't progress players careers... there's just nothing he can offer atm. It's a trainwreck for him, the Club, players and fans. Can't see it changing either without drastic measures.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We’ve only been beaten by a margin of more than 8 twice in our past 15 games. Not sure how you’ve come to the conclusion that tonight’s thrashing is something that’s become normalised.
Bit selective with your numbers there. Go to a 30 game range and you’ll see plenty more losses by 8 or more.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even if we do secure signings, he shouldn't be around to coach them, this year or next... He's running out of chances surely.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Foran is fit for next week but it’s never a sure thing with him but if he can’t play surely Pay couldn’t use Cogger and Lewis again after that performance.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Even if we do secure signings, he shouldn't be around to coach them, this year or next... He's running out of chances surely.
Who’s the caretaker? Who for 2021?
Someone suggested Jason Taylor.
No thanks (from me).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who’s the caretaker? Who for 2021?
Someone suggested Jason Taylor.
No thanks (from me).
Do you think another coach could do worse than Pay? Why just write off the last 17 games of the season? Do you enjoy performances like tonight and think we can't do or expect better?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like Foran is fit for next week but it’s never a sure thing with him but if he can’t play surely Pay couldn’t use Cogger and Lewis again after that performance.
Neither should play FG for the club again. They're both Reserve Graders.. But I guarantee you it's Lewis and Foran next week.

Pay will be more and more desperate for wins to try and save his job and will get even more conservative somehow.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do you think another coach could do worse than Pay? Why just write off the last 17 games of the season? Do you enjoy performances like tonight and think we can't do or expect better?
You didn’t answer the question Ben, you diverted. I’ll answer yours:

- Other do worse? Name some names and I’ll answer specifically.
- Last 17 games: give the kids who’ll be here next year more minutes (several won’t be here).
- Do I enjoy: obviously not.
- Can’t do better: see question 1.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club would have to have options up their sleeve it would be totally irresponsible if they didn’t but if they have any intention of replacing Pay is a whole other question and I don’t think they do.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Neither should play FG for the club again. They're both Reserve Graders.. But I guarantee you it's Lewis and Foran next week.

Pay will be more and more desperate for wins to try and save his job and will get even more conservative somehow.
Foran for sure. We’ll know the rest on Tuesday. Why was Wakeham dropped? There must be a reason.
Cogger certainly blew his chance tonight.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You didn’t answer the question Ben, you diverted. I’ll answer yours:

- Other do worse? Name some names and I’ll answer specifically.
- Last 17 games: give the kids who’ll be here next year more minutes (several won’t be here).
- Do I enjoy: obviously not.
- Can’t do better: see question 1.
Last year they could have signed O'Brien or Holbrook. Both had far better credentials than Pay. O'Brien has been impressive at Newcastle. Demetriou was always a good option before he got the job to succeed Bennett.

Holbrook has had a horrible start at the Titans but he inherited as big as mess as Pay did and many people want to write Holbrook off after three games but keep making excuses for Pay after three years...

Candidates from the ESL would be Shaun Wane, Adrian Lam, Kristian Woolf..

Assistants to look at would be Craig Fitzgibbon, Andrew McFadden, Cam Ciraldo, Todd Peyton.

From ex NRL coaches only Henry or Griffin I'd go near as they've both got a decent track record at having an impact in year one at clubs but they'd be short term options.

I'm sure there are others out there I can't think of. Eventually they'll have to find another coach. One isn't just magically going to appear. So they'll have to take a chance on someone else and hope they do better than Pay. Which won't be hard to achieve.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Foran for sure. We’ll know the rest on Tuesday. Why was Wakeham dropped? There must be a reason.
Cogger certainly blew his chance tonight.
Whatever the reason, Lewis doesn't deserve to retain his spot and Wakeham deserves another chance.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
In two minds.

firstly the idea was always we would have to wait to 2021 to rebuild and that we couldn't be competitive till then.

But the other side to me then wonders is he just been gifted a 3 year job? If nothing matters between 2018-2020 then he's essentially been given a million+ dollars/4 years wages for one seasons worth of expectation.
Let's pay you 400k a year and you need to do well. In the fourth year but all good friends. Three years'.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foran is the problem. The youngsters will have to wait for him to re-enter the picture and get injured again before Pay is forced to do what he should have done in the xmas off season and pick the best combination from what we have. Ill never believe that Foran is fit, ever...
Cogger might not be great right now but maybe people should reserve there negativity towards him after hes had as many opportunities as Lewis.
Doesnt matter if Forans on the paddock or not, was expecting to lose most games this year anyway. All I was hoping for was that Av and Wakeham gain valuable experience with some decent minutes each week if we are thinking about the future and a shit year anyway.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Last year they could have signed O'Brien or Holbrook. Both had far better credentials than Pay. O'Brien has been impressive at Newcastle. Demetriou was always a good option before he got the job to succeed Bennett.

Holbrook has had a horrible start at the Titans but he inherited as big as mess as Pay did and many people want to write Holbrook off after three games but keep making excuses for Pay after three years...

Candidates from the ESL would be Shaun Wane, Adrian Lam, Kristian Woolf..

Assistants to look at would be Craig Fitzgibbon, Andrew McFadden, Cam Ciraldo, Todd Peyton.

From ex NRL coaches only Henry or Griffin I'd go near as they've both got a decent track record at having an impact in year one at clubs but they'd be short term options.

I'm sure there are others out there I can't think of. Eventually they'll have to find another coach. One isn't just magically going to appear. So they'll have to take a chance on someone else and hope they do better than Pay. Which won't be hard to achieve.
Good post and thanks for the detail which many never provide. I agree that eventually it will probably have to happen.

I would like one question answered first however - does Pay as coach prevent us from signing top talent? We will know the answer to that question after the transfer window closes. If yes, hard to justify him coaching in 2021. If no, I think the club will give him the opportunity to coach a better team.

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our roster is diabolical at the moment, we just don’t have the talent. Pay really can’t do much considering... The issue for me is he’s not a coach that’s going to attract talent and we need someone that can do that otherwise where just going to dig a bigger hole for ourselves.