Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Should the bulldogs make Reynolds priority number one target for 2022?

• Total voters

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Olam just re-signed with the Storm, very little options remaining for centre.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Olam just re-signed with the Storm, very little options remaining for centre.
He runs hard but I don't rate him that highly as a centre.
Thoughts on Euan Aitken ? At his peak he's very good, but has a few issues creep into his game. Even if we didn't start him I think in 2021 with interchange rules changing he could be a handy bench player if needed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He runs hard but I don't rate him that highly as a centre.
Thoughts on Euan Aitken ? At his peak he's very good, but has a few issues creep into his game. Even if we didn't start him I think in 2021 with interchange rules changing he could be a handy bench player if needed.
In 2018 Aitken was in contention for a centre origin position with James Roberts which he didn't get (pretty sure he played a game where GI manhandled him before selection, which it's GI, it's sort of expected, but still) and since then he has really dipped off in form (and in and out of the Dragons team). Before 2018 I didn't see much of him so I only really have two seasons to judge him on but if we weren't able to attract a top centre (which it doesn't look like we're going to be able to, I think the only one left off contract is Cotric?) if on a cheap deal (more of an opportunity of a starting position) he could be a handy pick up. It's very unlikely he'll turn out to be worse than what we currently have and if we were buying him I'd want him to start.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I really like Olam myself, I've seen a lot of improvement in him already and he's only been in the top grade really for one year. I know everyone looks better in the Storm system but it's really hard to judge how they'd play elsewhere.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In 2018 Aitken was in contention for a centre origin position with James Roberts which he didn't get (pretty sure he played a game where GI manhandled him before selection, which it's GI, it's sort of expected, but still) and since then he has really dipped off in form (and in and out of the Dragons team). Before 2018 I didn't see much of him so I only really have two seasons to judge him on but if we weren't able to attract a top centre (which it doesn't look like we're going to be able to, I think the only one left off contract is Cotric?) if on a cheap deal (more of an opportunity of a starting position) he could be a handy pick up. It's very unlikely he'll turn out to be worse than what we currently have and if we were buying him I'd want him to start.
Cotric is the one we need, but Canberra will have the money to keep him now imo. It'll all come down to wether he thinks Canberra will win a comp and if he still sees himself as a centre (which I think he is) despite playing wing for so long. As for Aitken he did make Inglis look shit before origin and Roberts was wrongfully picked over him... Not saying we should absolutely sign him, but if we have to fill our 30 he may be all that's left and could come cheap, hope it doesn't get to that stage but it's likely

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cotric is the one we need, but Canberra will have the money to keep him now imo. It'll all come down to wether he thinks Canberra will win a comp and if he still sees himself as a centre (which I think he is) despite playing wing for so long. As for Aitken he did make Inglis look shit before origin and Roberts was wrongfully picked over him... Not saying we should absolutely sign him, but if we have to fill our 30 he may be all that's left and could come cheap, hope it doesn't get to that stage but it's likely
Oh you're right, for some reason I thought it was the other way around. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/em...not-to-be-shown-up-again-20180410-p4z8sx.html .

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Last edited:

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just remember whose been talking this guy up ,time to pounce bulldogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are you claiming that you discovered him? He's been a highly touted junior player for years Dave.

But I agree he's a great prospect and is making a huge impact already. Unfortunately Christian is reserve grade standard and Stephen has rep ability.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did we sign the shit 4 foot tall brother! I agree with ya here though mate would be a great signing but isnt he contracted and i doubt they would release him

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I absolutely cannot see us signing an established player to fix our spine and backline. We need quality youth there that's all we can do.

1. Averillo (not many good fullbacks on the market, try make this rare talent our answer)
2. S.Katoa (strong, fast, quality finisher and cheaper than Addo-Carr)
3. Alomati (he's not ready yet, Hoppa holds his spot until the boy is primed)
4. Smith-Shields (quality young centre at Canberra stuck behind plenty of quality especially if Cotric stays)
5. S.Crichton (I know this boy is a centre however I think he can be the next Daniel Tupou with alot more talent)
6. Biondi-Odo (young raw talent, let him run and play on instinct. Would be nice to snare and established star though, very hard spot to fill tbh not many quality 5/8s around imo)
7. Wakeham (just needs to be given a fair go)
9. Grant / B.Smith / McInnes (no excuses we must land one of these players)

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If our club are legit in any way then this is a priority!

Akuila Uate in line for possible NRL return after release from Huddersfield

Former Knights and Manly winger Akuila Uate could be on the verge of a return to the NRL after being released from his contract with Super League club Huddersfield.

Uate had nearly two full seasons to run on his contract with the Giants, though the Fijian-born star is now free to depart the UK, pending travel restrictions.

The 32-year-old made 12 appearances in the Super League, scoring five tries, though an ankle injury hampered his time at the club.

Huddersfield managing director Richard Thewlis said Uate's departure would help ease the financial strain on the club amid the coronavirus shutdown.

"This decision is very disappointing for Akuila, who has worked as hard as anyone could to get back from his ankle issue, as have our medics," Thewlis said.

"Aku's departure will of course help financially and his gesture in returning home is very much appreciated and will certainly help our short and medium term situation. "

Uate made 200 NRL appearances, the majority with Newcastle, scoring 129 tries, before heading to England.

A testament to his finishing ability, he finished the 2010s as the competition's most prolific try-scorer.

While the current situation would make securing an NRL return difficult, a proven first-grade winger who won't break the bank is sure to have several NRL clubs interested.

Following his departure from Huddersfield, Uate said he was keen to continue his career elsewhere.

"I'm very thankful for the opportunity the club have given me. I'd like to thank the squad, who have made me feel welcome from day one," Uate said.

"I'd also like to thank the fans, and all the backroom and coaching staff and register that I am leaving on good terms.

"I'd like to lastly thank my family, who have supported me throughout this experience. It's not the end of the journey as far as I'm concerned, but beginning of other opportunities.

"Although it didn't work out the way I wanted, I'm thankful for the opportunity to play for the Huddersfield Giants and I am excited to play again in the future."

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...G0n-QBDrZrcC2J5aHAkZSdeMOCi_ew0yrM1GF1WeYcMVY

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You actually want him? He'd be one of the last wingers I'd sign.