New rule changes - How will it affect our team?

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parra were playing fast with plenty of offloads, just wore them down, things we don't do. thought kicking game was pretty good. Don't like either team but enjoyed the new rules.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stats again. What I am saying is he is not there to make 35 to 49 tackles per game. Let the mobile back rowers and lock do that. That's way too many times for a bloke of that size to be getting up and down off the deck. Clearly he has a massive motor and a huge heart for continuing to motor on. He is not there for this role. His role is a massive body to play targeted minutes causing maximum damage running into the defensive line and getting his team moving forward, every extra tackle he has to make and every minute too long on the field diminishes the impact he could make if played properly. A props job has never been to play that way in our game. The Bronc's had no forward momentum and that IS his job (and the rest of the forward pack). No way he plays the whole season playing those stats per game, no way! They will break him before the end of the season and then what if their near the finals?
He does make a tonne of tackle breaks, post contact metres and off loads too. He maintains the intensity through out the game and doesn't drop off. When he is dominating playing his way why would you make him play like a average prop?

Why would it break him? He played like that last year and only missed a handful of games. The Broncos lost the forward battle last night but it wasn't Haas' fault.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Parra were playing fast with plenty of offloads, just wore them down, things we don't do. thought kicking game was pretty good. Don't like either team but enjoyed the new rules.
We’re pretty resilient defensively and are actually one of the best teams for offloads in the comp (3rd overall for teams in 2019).

We’ve got some genuine speed in the team with the likes of Meaney, Smith, JMK, Averillo, DWZ etc. I think the rule changes will benefit us.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can see the day when there are two utility players on the bench and two forwards.Smart coach will do it sooner rather than later

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t forget HAAS tackle stats inflated as parra played a lot of the game up the middle to wear them out

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It is possible that Haas had to play that many minutes and do that much work because Pangai was suspended and DFifita was injured. Plus Lodge looked short on game level fitness.

It is possible that Parramatta played a lot in the middle 3rd for the same reasons.

Go Dogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’re pretty resilient defensively and are actually one of the best teams for offloads in the comp (3rd overall for teams in 2019).

We’ve got some genuine speed in the team with the likes of Meaney, Smith, JMK, Averillo, DWZ etc. I think the rule changes will benefit us.
Our defence stays strong for 80 usually but it's a bit sus early in games. We can't afford those 6 again's against teams with DCE and Tommy Turbo in them, especially early. I'm not sure too many of our offloads have been effective but if we improve the quality of those, I reckon it's our best chance of scoring more points. Britt, RT and RFM need fast blokes sniffing around them, which is why I prefer Meaney at fullback.

We'll see, but I don't think we can take advantage of 6 again's as well as teams with better organiser's. Our dummy half's and halves are pretty slow and clunky and the backs don't get good quick service.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think it’ll help us marginally in attack but catastrophically cripple us in defense.
With our inability to adapt or execute effective plays, our scramble defence is all we can offer. Let's all cross our fingers and/or pray we are pleasantly surprised. Will need a major turnaround in our style!

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good kick chase will prove vital. We can't start sets on our tryline and give the ball back on their 40m or we will be absolutely flogged. Our forward pack struggles to make post contact metres. I think the key for us is to use the footy to get decent field position. If we don't and play too conservatively I fear that we will end up using too much energy early and invariably chasing points which is something we are terrible at.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
after last nights game, forwards with any offload ability look the goods, kinda glad that Tolman is not in but then again the amount of gaps through the middle and the amount of players that were puffed out after 20mins kinds warrants having a Tolman type in the side.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Except chn was doing the offloads

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just rake the ball away instead of laying in the ruck, no quick 6 again lol.
So basically if the scores are tied at 12-12 with 1 minute to go, if the ref is biased against a certain team he will blow his whistle to give the attacking team an easy two points in front of the sticks instead of a repeat set. And if were attacking he'll give us a repeat set instead hoping we don't score. All the refs hate us...we're screwed. Dumb rule

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our hurdles.
a. We often play dumb footy, we will need a game plan more than ever. Errors will kill us because we have little flash.
b. fitness will be integral. Neither team last night put a ball out intentionally from memory for a rest on top of the new rules, it was go go go. Eg - Nappas on the slow 20 mins in usually. The efforts there, fitness is the worry because he tries to be in everything.
c. Our attack will need to be sharp. Plenty of offloads last night. We will need to back one another which rarely happens. Big kick and hopes, forget about it. Kicks will need to be quick and strategic. Parra had 2 kickers with vision last night, huge.
d. If last night was anything to go off, the game has completely changed.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So basically if the scores are tied at 12-12 with 1 minute to go, if the ref is biased against a certain team he will blow his whistle to give the attacking team an easy two points in front of the sticks instead of a repeat set. And if were attacking he'll give us a repeat set instead hoping we don't score. All the refs hate us...we're screwed. Dumb rule
Surely you can decline the 6 again call and take the penalty?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the new rules will really suit Thompson, tall, fast, has a sidestep and is aggressive with an offload.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the new rules will really suit Thompson, tall, fast, has a sidestep and is aggressive with an offload.

Cheers
Gary
I’m so looking forward to seeing this guy in our colours,
He can also play big minutes which is going to be awesome.
Yeah hats off to Gary

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Cheers
Gary
Agreed Gary. Would be nice if the NRL reduced the interchange over the next couple of years as we would be well set up for it.