New rule changes - How will it affect our team?

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hi All, My apologies if this topic has been done but I have not been on here as much since the Covid-19 shutdown. I was watching Matty Johns the other night just to get some idea on the start and it was mentioned that besides the 1 ref change, ruck infringements will be an automatic 6 tackles. So they were saying this will affect defensive teams defending their line preventing them to restructure the defense by giving a free kick. They also mentioned the importance of a smart and quick Dummy Half with this new rule. they pointed out that Cook could run riot as teams get tired make the Hooker one of the most important (if it wasn't already) player on the field. Thoughts.....

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well without Foran we have inexperienced halves and hooker. I think we'll struggle the most with the rule change just because of that. I just think we'll not be able to take advantage as much as other teams and we might even make a few blunders (e.g. turning the ball over early in the repeat set).

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All I know is never in the history of Rugby League has a new rule helped us.

I can't see the ruck being sped up helping us at all. If anything our slow defense and poor attacking structure will actually make us even worse.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell until we see them in action. If they rule 6 again more then they used to blow a penalty I can't see it doing the Dogs much good.

It could be more difficult to drag teams down into the grind and few extra tackles could be the difference in the defence breaking.

We don't have a dummy half that can take advantage of it either.

The best result for us is if it has no effect on the game at all.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ive only just found out about the 6 again bullshit

they just want to penalise teams without a stop in play to analyse it

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't see the ruck being sped up helping us at all. If anything our slow defense and poor attacking structure will actually make us even worse.
Was about to say that raysie. Any rule that could help us, wouldnt have been approved. Lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's been a long, long, long time but the change from unlimited tackles to 4 tackles helped us. We kicked StGeorge out of the finals and, best of all, ended their run of premierships.
Since then........................

Go Dogs

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I very nearly posted about this last night as I was thinking there's a chance it actually benefits us...

We are a defensive side, fifth best in defence over the past 3 seasons, but last for attack (by a lot) and 14th overall for total wins.

We pretty much lose if we have to chase points, and I think a major component of that was how the previous penalty meta interacted with our less than creative attack. In the past 3 seasons teams have not been afraid of us attacking in their 20 zone and so they were always more than willing to give away tonnes of penalties there whenever they had a >2pt lead (so that it wouldn't make sense for us to go for the kick). It is understood that all teams were intentionally giving away penalties in this way to cause that brief stoppage of play (hence this change), but I think it affected us more than it affected other teams because of our impotent attack. Since we are the least creative side, any stop/starts throw our immediate attacking plans out the window, forces us to think on the spot and we burn a few tackles before we figure out how we should be attacking (assuming that it is figured out before Tolman gets it on the fourth...). Since our attack is also easier to prepare against, the stoppage of play afforded our opponents more than enough time to get set. In terms of game momentum, I also think for this reason that we got less mileage out of our penalty counts, since we would rack up a heap of these ineffective penalties that either leveled the count, or gave us a surplus, which would then bite us later when the penalty momentum favours the other side again.

So tl;dr I actually have some, albeit small, hope that our attack in the 20m zone will benefit from this 6-again rule more than other teams, since previously teams got way more benefit from stop/starting our attack, than we got stop/starting theirs.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not going to lie with our attack on the oppositions try line being as clunky as it is I'm worried we will end up having a 30 tackle set or something around that and we will still not crack them.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not going to lie with our attack on the oppositions try line being as clunky as it is I'm worried we will end up having a 30 tackle set or something around that and we will still not crack them.
There is a word for that, it is called desball.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it six again anywhere on the field or only in the attacking zone?

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Tolman isn’t the most popular player on here, but it can’t be understated how much clean up he does in the middle when we are on the backfoot. He does a lot in cover defence and is our best wrestler. With him looking like he’s not playing this weekend I have a feeling we will struggle hard with Napa and Sue starting in the middle.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just rake the ball away instead of laying in the ruck, no quick 6 again lol.
Haha what’s to stop someone from taking the absolute piss and taking 10 seconds to get off tackled player once they rule 6 again? They’ll either blow a pen or just rule six again. There will be some massive loop hole that the NRL haven’t thought of there always is when it comes to them.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haha what’s to stop someone from taking the absolute piss and taking 10 seconds to get off tackled player once they rule 6 again? They’ll either blow a pen or just rule six again. There will be some massive loop hole that the NRL haven’t thought of there always is when it comes to them.
Sin bin.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Will they though? They don’t usually have the balls.
They need to grow some balls then. A few years ago when the referees were constantly blowing penalties (for good reason imo) they had to continue doing it until the coaches and players got the message (I can't remember what it was for exactly, but I think it was for something along the lines of slowing the ruck/play the ball down). If you continue to punish players for a long enough period of time the smart clubs and coaches will start coaching towards it and get an advantage. I find it hard to believe players would risk getting sin binned over something like that but if they do they're letting their teammates down and possibly losing their team the game. If they want to change how the game is being played it's the only way.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a chance for V'landys to assert his influence and make some shit happen. However, after his pissweak handling of the Social distancing dickheads I wont hold my breath..