2020 recruitment

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We haven’t had a decent hooker for not 3 seasons it’s been more like 7 or 8 when Ennis last played for the club. Yes we had Cook but Des didn’t use him much despite him carving up when he did play. A lot of people to blame for us not having a decent hooker not just this board. JMK is still miles better then Lichaa
Agree totally with this. I honestly don't get why we haven't been able to sign a decent hooker, though it's clear the club has been trying.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree totally with this. I honestly don't get why we haven't been able to sign a decent hooker, though it's clear the club has been trying.
And it’s a tough market. After the salary cap drama of the last few seasons I’d imagine the board or recruitment are trying to recruit good players but also be financially responsible when making offers. You can’t just offer every up and comer top dollar before you know it you are back in the same spot so of course you are going to miss on some decent players.

That’s why having good juniors coming through a clubs system is a must. They are generally cheaper then importing players and the 80’s 90’s 00’s showed you can win comps this way. The problem for the kennel is it takes time and that’s the last thing we have here is time ...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And it’s a tough market. After the salary cap drama of the last few seasons I’d imagine the board or recruitment are trying to recruit good players but also be financially responsible when making offers. You can’t just offer every up and comer top dollar before you know it you are back in the same spot so of course you are going to miss on some decent players.

That’s why having good juniors coming through a clubs system is a must. They are generally cheaper then importing players and the 80’s 90’s 00’s showed you can win comps this way. The problem for the kennel is it takes time and that’s the last thing we have here is time ...
Agree completely and it's another factor we need to put into all of this. Our junior leagues were grossly neglected in the past so it's goign to take some time to get them back up to the levels they used to be. That not only includes the quality of players, but also the coaching, recruitment, hospitality team etc. etc. It takes time to implement all of this.

From my understand the club was very clear that this was the direction they wanted to go in ... bringing talent through the juniors ... and they were not only elected on the back of this but also re-elected which makes it puzzling as to why so many on here dont' really get it?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont agree on getting Jac and paying big money for a winger..
Id rather throw that money at Harry Grant an offer he couldn't refuse.
Everyone knows Cam Smith will go another year.

Ben Elias was saying last night from what he has seen he predicts Grant will play hooker for Qld at the end of the year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Ben Elias was saying last night from what he has seen he predicts Grant will play hooker for Qld at the end of the year.
Grant is contracted to the Storm until the end of 2022. He’ll return to the Storm after his Tigers loan and isn’t really an option unless he seeks a release and considering he re-signed last year with full knowledge of the two Smiths also at the club I see it as an unlikely option.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Yep agree, thing here is the Tigers have some spare cash lying around also don’t they?
Not aware of any top hookers available for 2021 which makes it tough. Maybe Super League again or Union?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
A few keep saying be patient, be patient so I have but I keep seeing players that would improve our team being signed by other clubs and we get nothing (other than Thompson). I just can't understand how we've needed a decent hooker for at least 3 years but the Knights firstly beat us to get Brailey and then when Brailey goes down injured they also get a second NRL quality hooker in McCullough. Don't get me wrong I'm glad we didn't sign McCullough for 4 years from next year but it would have been an improvement to get him for this year and maybe next compared to JMK. NRL sacks 2 of our players and it seems like we're not even going to replace them when we have their money to spend. There were reports we were asking the NRL if we even had to replace them. I'm not impressed with Stimson, Katoa looks average, Britt seems okay but no world beater. I'm yet to be convinced our recruitment team have reached the pass mark. We probably wouldn't have even had Kaotoa as a back up if he hadn't called us looking for a chance. How can some have so much confidence in Mark Hughes, Lyn etc when they haven't proven much yet ? Thompson alone isn't going to be able to change our fortunes.
You seem to be forgetting there are 15 other NRL teams, most in a much better position than us and ALL of them have been in a better position salary cap wise than us. Do you want our recruitment team to hold a gun to player’s heads? We can only offer what we can afford and don’t want to end up back to square one and having to shed players to be cap compliant.

I am sick to death of trying to explain to negative, impatient people the position the club have been in but you’ll still find something to whinge about when we are back on top again so I won’t bother. The club have been very honest about our situation. You can continue to cry about it or accept it

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What really disappoints me is this constant referencing to Lyn being Bullfrog's daughter as it makes some fucking difference. Who gives as fuck who her father was? I certainly don't. And that's not disrespting either Lyn or Bullfrog himself, but each needs to be judged on their own successes and failures. Not constantly be compared or used as a tool to bash one with.

My honest opinion is that the club is working towards something and needs time. I see the shit they've stuffed up. I understand that there's a lot that could be better. But at the same time I also get that there's been so much at play that it's impossible to really perform at their best with one hand's been tied behind their backs whether it be the salary cap, terrible past management decisions, key player injuries etc. etc.

Of course people will now call me out as being a board sympathiser and to that I say FUCK OFF. I support no board. I support no player. I support no coach. I support the club of the Bulldogs. I call things as I see it. And I think the same people you're trying to criticise as sheep are doing the same. Time and again I've seen them point out things they're not happy with in regard to the board, but still get painted as blindly following the club. It's just not true.
Great post mate. I wish you could share some brain cells out here

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Grant is contracted to the Storm until the end of 2022. He’ll return to the Storm after his Tigers loan and isn’t really an option unless he seeks a release and considering he re-signed last year with full knowledge of the two Smiths also at the club I see it as an unlikely option.
He has a get out clause for 2021 if C Smith plays on next year. He is so thirsty for a NRL spot that he pushed for the loan deal and if he does well at the Tigers there’s no way he’s going back there to play behind anyone else at the Storm.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/2b1ed3a5d594b4e4b2485f2c2dbfb495

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has a get out clause for 2021 if C Smith plays on next year. He is so thirsty for a NRL spot that he pushed for the loan deal and if he does well at the Tigers there’s no way he’s going back there to play behind anyone else at the Storm.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/2b1ed3a5d594b4e4b2485f2c2dbfb495
Unless we have a direct link to Grant in our club, throw ridiculous money at him or he was a supporter as a kid I struggle to see us getting him.

If Cameron retires he goes back to a super successful club and Bellamy. If he goes well at the Tigers and makes friends they will try to keep him. If he’s as good as he looks, the Rorters will hunt him.

I just think given his unique contract arrangement we might miss out on someone else by wasting time and effort chasing him.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah I’ve seen that before. Still think it’s a long shot and find it odd he re-signed a 3 year deal despite C. Smith and knowing B. Smith was also there - unless he was confident he’d get in front of B. Smith. When that didn’t happen he likely got interested in the Tiger deal.

Hard to see C. Smith going around again in 2021 even with the Rona giving his body a rest. Storm cap likely designed around him being gone end of this year.

Also see how Harry likes Sydney, maybe he doesn’t want to live here permanently - could be one reason he allegedly knocked us back last year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless we have a direct link to Grant in our club, throw ridiculous money at him or he was a supporter as a kid I struggle to see us getting him.

If Cameron retires he goes back to a super successful club and Bellamy. If he goes well at the Tigers and makes friends they will try to keep him. If he’s as good as he looks, the Rorters will hunt him.

I just think given his unique contract arrangement we might miss out on someone else by wasting time and effort chasing him.
For sure we are a distant third in line. It’s why the Tigers deal is such good thinking they have put themselves in the box seat to get him. The Storm have shown in the past they will just release players if they aren’t happy so I think I think he’s a big chance to stay at the Tigers. A bit of thinking outside the square from the Tigers and they may have solved the hardest piece of the puzzle to get.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve seen that before. Still think it’s a long shot and find it odd he re-signed a 3 year deal despite C. Smith and knowing B. Smith was also there - unless he was confident he’d get in front of B. Smith. When that didn’t happen he likely got interested in the Tiger deal.

Hard to see C. Smith going around again in 2021 even with the Rona giving his body a rest. Storm cap likely designed around him being gone end of this year.

Also see how Harry likes Sydney, maybe he doesn’t want to live here permanently - could be one reason he allegedly knocked us back last year.
He really only signed a year deal if C Smith stays so it’s obviously on his mind. Who knows how Storm plan to use B Smith they might keep him as a back rower and Grant hooker and both are happy with it.

What ever way the cookie crumbles we are well behind the eight ball in getting him. Hooker is such a vital player these days and hopefully it can get solved for 21 the cupboard is pretty empty though.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He really only signed a year deal if C Smith stays so it’s obviously on his mind. Who knows how Storm plan to use B Smith they might keep him as a back rower and Grant hooker and both are happy with it.

What ever way the cookie crumbles we are well behind the eight ball in getting him. Hooker is such a vital player these days and hopefully it can get solved for 21 the cupboard is pretty empty though.
If him knocking us back last year is true I’d say we moved on then. Yes it’s a vital position hence attention would’ve likely turned elsewhere.

The Storm aren’t dopes. I doubt they would’ve even agreed to the Tiger deal if they thought there was a risk of losing him longer term.

As with the Dogs, there is a strategy, it’s just not spoken about publicly (yet).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As with the Dogs, there is a strategy, it’s just not spoken about publicly (yet).
What’s this strategy? Are you just talking about it in a general sense?

There’s 8 months before 21 gets under way and there’s very little off contract talent in our positions of need. The clubs got their work cut out for them. It’s going to need good management and a degree of luck. They are going to have shake some palm trees pretty hard and hope some good coconuts fall out.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What’s this strategy? Are you just talking about it in a general sense?

There’s 8 months before 21 gets under way and there’s very little off contract talent in our positions of need. The clubs got their work cut out for them. It’s going to need good management and a degree of luck. They are going to have shake some palm trees pretty hard and hope some good coconuts fall out.
No, that’s not what I mean.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What do you mean then?
I’ve said it multiple times.
Do you really believe they’ve left their run this late? Would’ve been pretty irresponsible don’t you think? So many were lathered up about last November and when there were no announcements outside Thompson there’s this automatic assumption that nothing has been done...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve said it multiple times.
Do you really believe they’ve left their run this late? Would’ve been pretty irresponsible don’t you think? So many were lathered up about last November and when there were no announcements outside Thompson there’s this automatic assumption that nothing has been done...
Of course there’s still time but their margin for error gets smaller and smaller by the week. It’s not an assumption nothing is getting done it’s hard negotiating deals and they can fall over at any time for a variety of reasons. Then you’re back to square one and usually going for a lower caliber player. Getting a couple on the board along side Thompson in the next few months will have me more at ease with it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am sick to death of trying to explain to negative, impatient people the position the club have been in but you’ll still find something to whinge about when we are back on top again so I won’t bother. The club have been very honest about our situation. You can continue to cry about it or accept it
All you do is complain about everyone else being negative yet all you do is attack everyone else on here calling them idiots, cry babies and whingers.. Seems pretty negative to me..

Back to your point about cap space... Sure we've had limited cap space for years.. But we've still signed dozens of players over the past three seasons and still have cap space this year, right now as well as three squad spots...

So to say that the club couldn't have signed a hooker over the last three seasons because they didn't have cap space just isn't true. Obviously we couldn't recruit a bunch of stars because of cap restrictions, but we easily could have recruited Robson, Grant, Brailey etc. Napa would have cost us twice as much as those guys would have cost.

So before you get all worked up, this isn't an attack or a whinge, it's an opinion on whether the club could have done better in recruiting a hooker.. I eagerly await you hitting the disagree button.