News We want him here ASAP': Bulldogs trying to lure star signing for 2020

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How about those Andrew Mculloch rumours. Hopefully a few of you got back from the cliff before you jumped :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We really need this guy right now. Not sure if it will happen, but approaches have been made by the club.
His team mate, Walmsley regards Thompson as the best prop in the world.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbh I’d rather just Thomson come in 2021, witn all the new recruits so they can start together and build together . I know a lot
Of people here whinge over nothing the same people blasting players will praise them when we win again, think of our team last year and what we achieved . Give it 4-5 rounds if no improvement is there then we can say what we feel. I just think it is anyone game this year , irs like a trial the first few games a lot of people will be green and unfit , and we had solid defence on the goal line. Be optimistic and support your team, sometimes you’d think this is an eels forum

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather wait til next year for Thompson to come over.

We're highly unlikely to come close to making the 8 this year and Thompson wouldn't have had a full offseason with the team so he'd be somewhat underdone, especially as he'd have to self isolate for two weeks.

This season should be used to give our up and coming players as much game experience as possible. I'd rather Thompson came next year with hopefully some other key signings and then hit the ground running after the preseason with his fellow recruits.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather wait til next year for Thompson to come over.

We're highly unlikely to come close to making the 8 this year and Thompson wouldn't have had a full offseason with the team so he'd be somewhat underdone, especially as he'd have to self isolate for two weeks.

This season should be used to give our up and coming players as much game experience as possible. I'd rather Thompson came next year with hopefully some other key signings and then hit the ground running after the preseason with his fellow recruits.
Half a season + pre season is better than just a pre season.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Half a season + pre season is better than just a pre season.
Not if he looks ordinary in the half a season because he hasn't trained with the team and he was rushed over. Or if we continue to struggle.. It wouldn't be fair to him really.

Hopefully if he comes, he adapts quickly but it's not the best set of circumstances for him to make the transition. Especially with Tolman still at the club.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who the clubs true targets are,I love Bateman because his hard as nails,Canberra success is because of this bloke in my opinion

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How about those Andrew Mculloch rumours. Hopefully a few of you got back from the cliff before you jumped :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Judging by the silence of a few some unfortunately jumped before hearing the news

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Unless his name is : "Kerry Stokes" and he arrives by private jet, he's got no chance.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not if he looks ordinary in the half a season because he hasn't trained with the team and he was rushed over. Or if we continue to struggle.. It wouldn't be fair to him really.

Hopefully if he comes, he adapts quickly but it's not the best set of circumstances for him to make the transition. Especially with Tolman still at the club.
Trained with the team? You speak like we have in depth systems and tactics that will take months to learn lol.

If he looks ordinary then he looks ordinary, use this season as a transition period and be set for preseason with a better idea on what he does and doesn't have to work on.

I really don't see how getting here now could possibly be a negative, if it is then he probably isn't good enough in the first place anyway.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine a forward pack of Thompson, a firebrand Napa (not the powder puff he is now) Bateman, Jackson and whoever. Fair enough taumalolo is the hardest running and hitting back rower in the Comp. but for mine Bateman has some skill and finesse. You’d take Bateman at 800k over fafita for 1.1 that’s for sure.
Disagree....would definitely take Fifita for 1.2 million....he would add that X factor to our team...he is going to be one hell of a player

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Trained with the team? You speak like we have in depth systems and tactics that will take months to learn lol.

If he looks ordinary then he looks ordinary, use this season as a transition period and be set for preseason with a better idea on what he does and doesn't have to work on.

I really don't see how getting here now could possibly be a negative, if it is then he probably isn't good enough in the first place anyway.
Yeah you're probably right. I won't complain if he comes early. I just hope it helps him rather than hinders him.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d take him as early as our nanny state allows and give him as much NRL experience as possible

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If he doesn't get a release it will be interesting to see what happens if the Super Leagues does start up as they had three plans and one ended in November, 2nd ends in December, 3rd ends in January.

If any of those eventuate Thompson will be playing for St Helens on our time.

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-to-return-on-opening-august-weekend/
Thing is that contracts even for Super League players end before that. So he can't be playing on our time. As he will be contracted to the Bulldogs who will be paying him from Nov. Its why the NRL had to shorten the season to ensure that problem didn't arise (Players playing for a club while contracted to another).

So St Helens need to weight up whether it's worth losing a critical player towards the end of season. Or just go with what they have already and free up the salary cap. Cause the Bulldogs won't want a tired player go into a new season away from all the salary cap dramas we have had.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

Tolman might be the perfect player to give them in the meantime. We get one of the best props. St Helens get a journeyman who will do the job, just not as well. Might even extend his career in ESL.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thing is that contracts even for Super League players end before that. So he can't be playing on our time. As he will be contracted to the Bulldogs who will be paying him from October. Its why the NRL had to shorten the season to ensure that problem didn't arise (Players playing for a club while contracted to another).

So St Helens need to weight up whether it's worth losing a critical player towards the end of season. Or just go with what they have already and free up the salary cap.
Who knows what the Super League will do though. I know FIFA gave permission for the soccer contracts to be extended by a few months to finish their seasons so it could happen in the Super League too. St Helens might try to talk to the Dogs to get him to stay till the end of Super League.

The best option for us would be Super League getting canned so we don’t have to worry about St Helens.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Who knows what the Super League will do though. I know FIFA gave permission for the soccer contracts to be extended by a few months to finish their seasons so it could happen in the Super League too. St Helens might try to talk to the Dogs to get him to stay till the end of Super League.

The best option for us would be Super League getting canned so we don’t have to worry about St Helens.
Thats a governing body who has some balls. What we have is a powerful NRL, a weaker ESL, and an even weaker International Body. No chance that happens.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tolman might be the perfect player to give them in the meantime. We get one of the best props. St Helens get a journeyman who will do the job, just not as well. Might even extend his career in ESL.
It would make sense but Tolman would have to agree on the move and he seems like the type who would just finish out his contract.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can we give them a carrot and throw in Tolman?