Official Round 3 - Bulldogs vs Sea Eagles - Discussion Thread

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Foran injury probably put a spanner in the works if he was actually ever a chance of playing like they said. If he is actually rotating them it’s insane. I still can’t understand how someone can be hooked in their last game but start the next one it’s not like we don’t have options in that position.
Must of played out of his skin during Quarantine

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Foran injury probably put a spanner in the works if he was actually ever a chance of playing like they said. If he is actually rotating them it’s insane. I still can’t understand how someone can be hooked in their last game but start the next one it’s not like we don’t have options in that position.
I think Pays scared to play 2 small halves. I think he’s finally awoken to how shit Lewis is but playing him in the hope of not conceding too many points. I wish he’d be more aggressive and try to win rather than minimize losses

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Pays scared to play 2 small halves. I think he’s finally awoken to how shit Lewis is but playing him in the hope of not conceding too many points. I wish he’d be more aggressive and try to win rather than minimize losses
Keary and Cronk. They won a grand final (in case Pay is reading)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
For sure. It will be interesting to see if this new 6 again thing has an effect of Pays grinding game plan. If it fastens the game up we could be in bigger trouble. It might have no effect at all either. I can’t see it aiding Pays style of game though.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Why would you support this move? What has he done to deserve an extension?
Irrespective of how anyone feels about it mate I think two realities exist:

1) Clear lack of suitable 2021 alternative.
2) Club feels he should have an opportunity to coach with a vastly improved squad having had to deal with a struggling team for 3 seasons (end of 2020). Keen to see what’s unveiled for 2021 in the coming months and we’ll see how things look then.

Last edited:

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone banging on about Lewis etc. but what stands out for me is how the fk Britt just walks into the starting side !!?! Shit like that is what makes me burn with rugby league. Jobs for the boys. Or the boys’ son.

I’m more excited about watching the Byron Bay Devils soon that this shit.
I hear the Sharks kill the other teams up there.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this punishment for Tolman? Did he turn up late for training or something?

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont understand why people justify not playing Wakeham because Pay wants to rotate the halves and Wakeham is to be paired with Foran.

If Pay is really doing that. He is lost.

Why would you keep changing combinations and deter team cohesion.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis gets hooked for playing like a shit house, so Pay and co. sign Wakeham, to then drop him all together and start Cogger and Lewis LOL. This is honestly unreal.
Do you think it’s all as simple as that? There’s always a lot more to these selections than the average punter will know so I’ll back those inside the tents judgement.

In that game where Lewis was hooked, and deservedly so, Wakeham wasn’t any better and I’m pretty sure turned over the ball more times than Lewis did. Naturally the coach is gonna hold the senior man accountable hence Lewis was hooked. But if we’re gonna be fair dinkum - Wakeham was pretty ordinary in the first 2 games and is far from a walk up starter, especially with Foran due back and Cogger training the house down.

The second consideration which I don’t think anyone in this thread has mentioned was the potential implications of the 6 week training layoff between late March and early May, where players were forced into being more accountable for their fitness and conditioning. We’ve seen Wakeham and Tolman demoted without report of injury. Who’s to say that this wasn’t a result of them reporting back to full time training with substandard fitness/body composition levels? There’s been a couple of reports in here recently that Wakeham loves a drink and isn’t the greatest trainer. Did the lack of routine get the better of him recently?

Point is - there’s always more to a story or situation regarding what may appear to be mystifying selections to the average punter. I’ll back the judgement of the staff who actually have a clue of what’s going on.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great to see Lewis and Cogger paired. Great move as gives them both another chance. Absolutely the right thing to do. Treat our coach with respect please.

The respect for your messiah has to be earned and is only deserving when he shows he isn't completely clueless when it comes to coaching

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So is Tolman injured? Surely there's no way he's been dropped..

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant see the club paying out Dean pay. He will coach until the end of the year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do you think it’s all as simple as that? There’s always a lot more to these selections than the average punter will know so I’ll back those inside the tents judgement.

In that game where Lewis was hooked, and deservedly so, Wakeham wasn’t any better and I’m pretty sure turned over the ball more times than Lewis did. Naturally the coach is gonna hold the senior man accountable hence Lewis was hooked. But if we’re gonna be fair dinkum - Wakeham was pretty ordinary in the first 2 games and is far from a walk up starter, especially with Foran due back and Cogger training the house down.

The second consideration which I don’t think anyone in this thread has mentioned was the potential implications of the 6 week training layoff between late March and early May, where players were forced into being more accountable for their fitness and conditioning. We’ve seen Wakeham and Tolman demoted without report of injury. Who’s to say that this wasn’t a result of them reporting back to full time training with substandard fitness/body composition levels? There’s been a couple of reports in here recently that Wakeham loves a drink and isn’t the greatest trainer. Did the lack of routine get the better of him recently?

Point is - there’s always more to a story or situation regarding what may appear to be mystifying selections to the average punter. I’ll back the judgement of the staff who actually have a clue of what’s going on.
Agree. Much unseen yet assumption it’s nothing more than a clueless coach chopping and changing for no reason.

However Tols did return with a post Rona beard which would add BMI - could that have been a factor in his demotion? :-)

14E2ED6D-C7C8-4456-8EDB-DB0199122E63.jpeg

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree. Much unseen yet assumption it’s nothing more than a clueless coach chopping and changing for no reason.

However Tols did return with a post Rona beard which would add BMI - could that have been a factor in his demotion? :-)

View attachment 14965
Considering no one is allowed inside Belmore besides the inner sanctum of the club one could say your points are unseen assumptions too......

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bunch of peahearts on here. Seriously.

Remember the days when we had fucking Corey Hughes at half, his brother Glenn as a utility, Marteene and Lester in the backline, Thompson and Stone coming off the bench. Never in a million year would I have expected these boys to do shit but they fucking lit it up in 1998.

Pay's made the decision. He's going to be the coach for the rest of the year. Let's see how it goes. If you c*** want to spend your time crying into your cornflakes so be it. For me I'm just happy the footy is back on and hopefully we get to see the boys giving it all.
The difference is Steve Folkes was coaching that team and Dean Pay is coaching this one. I know who I'd rather have. Folkes took us to the GF in his first season with an average squad..

It's Pay's third season and the team is getting worse, with 12th placed finishes his highest accomplishment. In Pay's second season we had the worst attack in the comp. Pay's selections now week to week are more and more bizarre. Comparing Pay to our last premiership winning coach is laughable.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I seem to be for ever defending Lewis which is not actually the case but here I go again - I don't think Lewis was Hooked in the sense he was removed for poor play. I feel Pay realized the game was done and thought it a good opportunity to give Wakeham some game time. There is no doubt he is our future but I think they want to ease him in. He is a little injury prone and no that big either (Preston Campbell like). Wakeham will be our regular 7 at some point. Lewis has skills that can be useful but he is not a true 7. lastly I will also say I have seen flair from Wakeham but not much else. Other than foran you could make a case at this stage for Lewis, Cogger or Wakeham to play in the halves Maybe even Averillo