Why do you follow the Bulldogs?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

most of you who post here, follow the Bulldogs, I'm certain of this in my heart.

my question is WHY do you follow the Bulldogs?

What made you choose this team!?

Majority of you are going to have to think back to a time you may not remember, but I'm curious to here your story of how you came to be.

for me it was because I was very impressed with Daryl Halligan and I grew up in the upper north of the Bankstown area (Breakfast point) and it just led to a slippery slope of interest in Bulldogs passion, history, Terry Lamb and I was intrigued why we were so good yet never seems to recruit star players. I tried my hardest to go for the Eels from peer pressure but I just couldn't trust them, even though I liked them a lot. They are unique too. Anyway this snowballed to contributing what it is today, an undying co-passion of two NRL teams, the other has its own story.

mountain_dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I was born in the area in a small private hospital (no longer exists).
My parents both migrated form overseas, and my father's family lived in Belmore.
My first memory of a Bulldogs match, was being allowed into the lounge room at my grandparents (we always hung out in the kitchen/dining room and back yard) to watch the 1980 grand final on the big TV, and my grandmother teaching me to shout "Up the Bulldogs, Down the Roosters" (I still have a special dislike of them).

My fondest memories of my grandmother are her taking me & my brother to watch them at Belmore, all through the 1980s and 90s Home games, we'd have lunch at the club, then walk to the ground and sit in the same spot every week.
When we moved out of the area at the end of 1981, my grandmother explained to us that we support the Bulldogs, because it's the family thing to do.

I explained to my daughter; that even though we lived in the Sutherland Shre (and in 2016 when she was starting school & they played that stupid 'Up Up Cronulla' song every day before school over the PA) she supported the Bulldogs.

Because that's what my family does.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
in 1993 in semi final against brisbane i jumped on bandwagon and stayed loyal after loss. subsequently i saw alot of people wearing bulldogs jerseys 2012-2014 , none now

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My dad grew up in Canterbury, and went to Canterbury boys high. Hence I have been a Bulldogs supporter since semen.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My old man loved the Dogs. Naturally I followed his passion. Not easy living in Qld, but enjoy the arguments.
Not so much lately

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask myself the very same question after pretty much every game in recent times.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Primary School in the country and most of the students were loving the Eels in the early 80’s. I didn’t want to be a sheep and I liked the blue and white colours and have never looked back despite all the crap they have put their supporters through. Plenty of good times but some absolute stinkers in their as well (Coffs, Salary Cap etc)

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a kid went to Bankstown primary school in 1974, and lived in Dewitt St.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like Grunthos and Mountain_Dog, I was born in Ardee Private Hospital, just a short distance from Belmore Oval - but way back in 1948 - the same year trams from Enfield to Ashfield and Cabarita were abandoned (ever wondered why there is a long park alongside the Boulevarde in Strathfield? - it was where the trams ran); and the same year the railway line into Rookwood Cemetery was abandoned).

I grew up in Belmore, about 1 km from the Oval, and used to walk down to see every home game with my late father. Always sat behind the goalposts at the Southern end. Still think Les Johns was the best player we have produced. I had to wait until 1980 to see a GF win, and went through the heartache of the 1967 GF against the Bunnies -but loved the build up to that year, especially ending St.George's 11 year monopoly on the game.

I guess it was always in my blood.

Why I follow Carlton and West Ham, are very different stories.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I grew up in heart land Canterbury and also attended the Boys School,
Good days with very nice memories.
I went to Belmore South Primary, then Canterbury Boys' High. Hated every minute of High School. Failed my Leaving Certificate.
Got a job; went to TAFE at night and got my Leaving Certificate. Travelled the world, worked in the UK, returned home, got married; travelled again with my wife, then got my accountancy- studying part time while holding down a 50 hour per week job and mortgage.
Now retired, and travelling again as a tour guide, and getting paid to do it.
Always said my education started after I left school.

canine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My old man drove trucks in the Sydney area in the '70s and lived in Belmore. He got to drinking with a couple of the first graders and watched them play once or twice. He then had me and my 3 brothers and we were instructed that our team was the Bulldogs and we had no other option.

I've now said the same to my 3 daughters.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dad grew up a bulldogs supporter in the 80s and the rest of my family were eels. 95 was the year i was born and we beat manly to win the comp and ive grown up on the beaches which makes it even better. 2004 was the first year i probably started watching the footy and i remember winning that year but not being obsessed enough to know how big of a deal it was. still waiting for our first premiership as a mad supporter

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I grew up in heart land Canterbury and also attended the Boys School,
Good days with very nice memories.
My dad was born in 1946, so it's a long while ago since he was there. He always said it was rough as well at that school back then.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I went to Belmore South Primary, then Canterbury Boys' High. Hated every minute of High School. Failed my Leaving Certificate.
Got a job; went to TAFE at night and got my Leaving Certificate. Travelled the world, worked in the UK, returned home, got married; travelled again with my wife, then got my accountancy- studying part time while holding down a 50 hour per week job and mortgage.
Now retired, and travelling again as a tour guide, and getting paid to do it.
Always said my education started after I left school.
Sounds somewhat similar to my school days. Tge travel part too. Different location though.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was a born and bred Dogs supporter, lived a few mins away as well.

I actually followed Eels in 1983 when i was 8. Then i found out my best mate at the time was an eels supporter so i chose dogs to annoy him and have loved the dogs since 1984....