Ryan Grey

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cooper Talau is a middle forward - played from the bench in the only Flegg game this year - Lachie Talau the hooker is now with the Tigers.
Roumanos was ordinary in NSW cup last year.
Ryan Gray struggled in Flegg last year then got injured - definitely good with the ball but slight frame.
Doorey was a backrower but based on his mobility i think he will end a middle forward - apparently is training with the fg squad atm.

The NRL really needs to look at getting a second tier comp started asap - players will be lost to the game. 16, 18s and 20s need to be playing as well asap in some format.
They should still have a national 20s comp just dont put them on tv yet in the spotlight and public eye. The toyota cup was good footy its just too many found it hard to make the jump straight to first grade. So still set pathways through reserve grade. Although theres occasionally going to be a Fittler or SBW come through.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do more research mate. Ryan gray cant even get a full game in cup yet he’s too raw. Talau that’s out of control it’s a bit political the reason why he left
Why was he let go? Did the club choose to persist with Montoya and Holland over him? Also did he leave under the current mob or the previous mob?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why was he let go? Did the club choose to persist with Montoya and Holland over him? Also did he leave under the current mob or the previous mob?
Willie wasn’t selected as the Dogs Flegg coach a couple of years ago and cracked the shits. None of his boys have signed a new deal since.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Willie wasn’t selected as the Dogs Flegg coach a couple of years ago and cracked the shits. None of his boys have signed a new deal since.
So basically he didn't sign because his dad had a hissy fit over the fact that he didn't get a gig? I don't know what to say tbh.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty much.
Tigers also offered him a Development contract - Dogs had limited capacity to do so because of contracts with players never going to play first grade. A combination of things - this should be the last year that Dev contract situation is compromised.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should still have a national 20s comp just dont put them on tv yet in the spotlight and public eye. The toyota cup was good footy its just too many found it hard to make the jump straight to first grade. So still set pathways through reserve grade. Although theres occasionally going to be a Fittler or SBW come through.
At this point just need to get games happening at all levels - and longer term sort out a pathways development program n series of competitions that keep players interested, fit, motivated enough to keep playing.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tigers also offered him a Development contract - Dogs had limited capacity to do so because of contracts with players never going to play first grade. A combination of things - this should be the last year that Dev contract situation is compromised.
Its really bit them on the ass with the development contracts this year hasn't it. There is no way Winters-Chang or Harding are ready for first grade.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why were the development contracts compromised to begin with?
Poor cap management again?

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Remember that Michael Lichaa was THE gun hooker coming through several years ago. It's awesome that our junior pathways seem to be starting to reap some rewards but quite often only a small percentage even make it through to first grade let alone excel.

Good signs though.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why were the development contracts compromised to begin with?
Poor cap management again?
More to do with recruitment as well as salary cap - there are /were players on multi year contracts playing Sydney Shield n Ron Massey Cup and occasionally NSW Cup - they were never going to, or at best highly unlikely to ever play first grade - rather than take up top squad positions n cap money, contract obligations can be fulfilled by having them as development players. This then meant that some of those juniors with genuine potential to be developed into first grade players could not be accommodated under development contracts - this was how it was explained to me by someone involved in another club.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its really bit them on the ass with the development contracts this year hasn't it. There is no way Winters-Chang or Harding are ready for first grade.
Should be the last year its an issue - current management will have more flexibility next year

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More to do with recruitment as well as salary cap - there are /were players on multi year contracts playing Sydney Shield n Ron Massey Cup and occasionally NSW Cup - they were never going to, or at best highly unlikely to ever play first grade - rather than take up top squad positions n cap money, contract obligations can be fulfilled by having them as development players. This then meant that some of those juniors with genuine potential to be developed into first grade players could not be accommodated under development contracts - this was how it was explained to me by someone involved in another club.
Thanks for the explanation that makes a lot of sense. Nice to know the club will finally be able to recruit and retain without one hand tied behind its back

Malla

Reaction score
We have learnt through our experiences with hookers the last few years that schoolboy success means absolute fuck all when it comes to the nrl.

Malla

Reaction score
Cooper Talau is a middle forward - played from the bench in the only Flegg game this year - Lachie Talau the hooker is now with the Tigers.
Roumanos was ordinary in NSW cup last year.
Ryan Gray struggled in Flegg last year then got injured - definitely good with the ball but slight frame.
Doorey was a backrower but based on his mobility i think he will end a middle forward - apparently is training with the fg squad atm.

The NRL really needs to look at getting a second tier comp started asap - players will be lost to the game. 16, 18s and 20s need to be playing as well asap in some format.
Just go back to the old system.

18s, Flegg, Premier League and First Grade.

Better for the development of the players and better for us watching from the stands! 3 games in one day!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just go back to the old system.
18s, Flegg, Premier League and First Grade.
Better for the development of the players and better for us watching from the stands! 3 games in one day!
Hell yes, why can't the NRL see the potential in this, in helps the players immeasurably and will attract fans.

Go Dogs

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least two games in one day - i had difficulty motivating myself to go to games over the last few years even when there were two games being played - the sitting around between the U20s n First grade makes for a long day / night. Why is that gap such an enormous amount of time - sometimes up to an hour - in an era where we have shrinking attention spans (well i have anyway).
Short term just get games being played - id be happy if Flegg was u21 - so the pathway comps were 16, 18 n 21 followed by an second tier / state cup that was open age.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just did some research and the bulldogs have 2018 australian schoolboys hooker in our ranks. He was awarded man of the match in a game against england. So were all screaming for a hooker and we already have one of the best on the way. We just need someone to do a job for a year or two.We also had tommy talau in our system another australian schoolboy who plays centre what we need and we let the tigers poach him? Also mathew doorey is an australian schoolboy. So we do have some junoirs unlike i thought in a recent post
There is often a big gap between being good against other schoolboys and junior reps and being able to cut it against the monsters that generally filter into the NRL. As Malla mentioned, the current system has a tendency to let some talent fall through the cracks because if by 21 they're not physically developed, they often find themselves in a position where the paid contracts dry up and they're forced into other jobs to pay the rent.

In part I see that as a really big issue for the ongoing ability for the NRL to keep producing the best players. I look at a player like Curtis Rona who didn't quite break into the NRL by 21 that was forced to club hop for a few years before having a breakout season at 23yo. Going back a bit I recall seeing Paul Rauhihi having fulfilled a role as a modestly paid reserve grade player until he signed with us at 26 or 27 years of age by which stage he'd become a very good player. I'd assume that players like them might be more common if the NRL saw fit to implement a system where the risk of playing semi professional football was balanced financially with the fact that even in the reserve grades you can still cop very serious injuries. I'm sure that some potentially great talent has walked away from the game because if you haven't made it by a certain age, the financial incentives are gone and it's probably easier to just play as a hobby when you have to work full time to pay the bills.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There is often a big gap between being good against other schoolboys and junior reps and being able to cut it against the monsters that generally filter into the NRL. As Malla mentioned, the current system has a tendency to let some talent fall through the cracks because if by 21 they're not physically developed, they often find themselves in a position where the paid contracts dry up and they're forced into other jobs to pay the rent.

In part I see that as a really big issue for the ongoing ability for the NRL to keep producing the best players. I look at a player like Curtis Rona who didn't quite break into the NRL by 21 that was forced to club hop for a few years before having a breakout season at 23yo. Going back a bit I recall seeing Paul Rauhihi having fulfilled a role as a modestly paid reserve grade player until he signed with us at 26 or 27 years of age by which stage he'd become a very good player. I'd assume that players like them might be more common if the NRL saw fit to implement a system where the risk of playing semi professional football was balanced financially with the fact that even in the reserve grades you can still cop very serious injuries. I'm sure that some potentially great talent has walked away from the game because if you haven't made it by a certain age, the financial incentives are gone and it's probably easier to just play as a hobby when you have to work full time to pay the bills.
It's one of the deficiencies of the aged based lower levels and the differences in physical maturity which often masks football talent. Added to the non aged based competitions being held on different days and at different locations, out of sight out of mind.

Go Dogs