John Bateman

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im getting a sense that we are getting used a decoy here.....................

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson and Tolman family group?

Bateman can do everything. He's a class above and that's why he deserves a bigger contract. Second Rower of the year last year (over Fifita btw).

Just swap him for Jackson, younger, faster and has an offload none of our forwards seem willing to try.

Bring back the offload!

Malla

Reaction score
Canberra let Bateman go and extend Cotric is what will happen I would guess
Yeah they can easily replace Bateman. They played with Topine in backrow and Horsborough at lock first 2 rounds and looked pretty good.

On Cotric as well, he's a great winger, but average at Centre i feel. I reckon he will want out of Raiders because he wants to play centre to demand more $$.

Malla

Reaction score
Im getting a sense that we are getting used a decoy here.....................
Without a doubt. His manager would have taken an 'inquiry' from us about Bateman and blown that up as if we made an offer to him and send someone to his house to hang out.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the kiddo.. from what I have seen that live wire is probably the best of the lot. Pity he still has some time to fill in though..
Yeah captained Aussie schoolboys last year definitely our best prospect coming through still needs a year or two to fill out it’s a shame that reserve grade is halted he would’ve benefited massively from the experience

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah captained Aussie schoolboys last year definitely our best prospect coming through still needs a year or two to fill out it’s a shame that reserve grade is halted he would’ve benefited massively from the experience
Considering we are depending plenty on kids for the future its a damn shame all grades have been halted. I have said it once and will say it again we should really be using this year as a training run and throwing these kids in the deep end and up to scratch sooner rather than later.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Canberra let Bateman go and extend Cotric is what will happen I would guess
If they do that someone needs to steal Harry Smith Shields off them

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
"Dear John, it’s time to get your story straight"

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4c915e51ae5a188c47b06a26a7791f0c

"But if we’re going through a list of the best backrowers in the NRL I’d have Boyd Cordner, David Fifita, Viliame Kikau, Tyson Frizell, Felise Kaufusi and Tevita Pangai Jnr ahead of him."

I can't get behind this. Bateman at worst is in the same bracket as all these second rowers. Fifita is the only one I'd put above him myself.

"No one begrudges John chasing $800,000-a-season and a four-year contract on the NRL open market. In all likelihood he’ll end up at the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs next season on his four-year deal."

Four years is one year too many if it's starting from 2021 but I don't think we have a choice and I think we're a bit desperate at this point. I have no problem with the 800k for three years. I wish we could bring him in for this year.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4c915e51ae5a188c47b06a26a7791f0c

"But if we’re going through a list of the best backrowers in the NRL I’d have Boyd Cordner, David Fifita, Viliame Kikau, Tyson Frizell, Felise Kaufusi and Tevita Pangai Jnr ahead of him."

I can't get behind this. Bateman at worst is in the same bracket as all these second rowers. Fifita is the only one I'd put above him myself.

"No one begrudges John chasing $800,000-a-season and a four-year contract on the NRL open market. In all likelihood he’ll end up at the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs next season on his four-year deal."

Four years is one year too many if it's starting from 2021 but I don't think we have a choice and I think we're a bit desperate at this point. I have no problem with the 800k for three years. I wish we could bring him in for this year.
Owww the cat has claws,

But still no hair

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Kafusi lol

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We have a gun centre coming through the ranks aswell I think he’s still only 16-17 but he finds the line near every game. He’s i
Yeah they can easily replace Bateman. They played with Topine in backrow and Horsborough at lock first 2 rounds and looked pretty good.

On Cotric as well, he's a great winger, but average at Centre i feel. I reckon he will want out of Raiders because he wants to play centre to demand more $$.
we have a gun centre coming through the ranks atm he’s only 16-17 but he looks the goods! Paul alamoti his name is..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Kafusi haha Kevin Proctor 2.0 that bloke

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pangai Junior is severely over rated too. He is inconsistent and a suspension waiting to happen.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
John Bateman NRL future: Canterbury Bulldogs primed to pounce on Raiders star

Canterbury have emerged as the team most likely to benefit from John Bateman’s contract dispute with the Canberra Raiders with revelations the English cult hero could be a Bulldog as soon as next season.

Speaking on The Daily Telegraph’s Monday Bunker, Sports Editor-at-large Phil Rothfield revealed it was coach Ricky Stuart’s close relationship with Bulldogs compatriot Dean Pay that could be the deciding factor in Bateman’s likely departure from Canberra after this season.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner had appeared on Fox Sports on Saturday afternoon to confirm the club had given the Dally M second-rower of the year permission to test his value on the NRL open market.

Bateman was forced to defend himself after all hell then broke loose at the Raiders when a screenshot of a tweet appeared on social media, supposedly from the Twitter account of the Dally M second-rower, in which Furner was labelled a “dickhead”.

But with the odds of Bateman remaining in Canberra beyond this year drifting by the day, Rothfield said the Bulldogs were in prime position to pounce.

“I think he’ll be at the Canterbury Bulldogs next year,” Rothfield said.

“Ricky Stuart, he’s the one that can make the decision to release him.

“Ricky is very, very tight with Dean Pay.

“If he was going to offload him I think he would be more comfortable with him going there and helping out a mate at Belmore.”

Pay was an assistant coach to Stuart at Parramatta in 2013 and followed him to Canberra before being appointed Bulldogs coach for the 2018 season.

Rothfield said he hoped Bateman, who could command around $800,000 on the open market, would remain in the nation’s capital.

“I don’t think he’s done myself any favours with the manager he’s with, Isaac Moses, he is a controversial figure in the game isn’t he? And he’s after the cash.

“I don’t want to see this player leave Canberra. I think the beauty of the Raiders is that they’ve got that tight-knit group of Englishmen.

“I don’t blame John Bateman. He’s got this contract which allows him to renegotiate. He thinks he can earn more money. The average time for a footballer is four years. He’ll be around longer than that.

“He’s reading about Tyson Frizell getting $800,000 or $700,000 up at Newcastle. He’s reading that David Fifita is worth $1.2 million, $1 million, whatever and he thinks he can do better.

“And he’s got the right in that contract.”

Despite Stuart’s declaring to Rothfield that Bateman’s contract saga wouldn’t impact the Raiders, The Daily Telegraph senior NRL reporter Paul Crawley warned the situation had put added pressure on last year’s beaten grand finalists.

“If you’re a big-money player and you’re chasing $800,000 a year for the following year, you’ll want to aim up on the field,” Crawley said.

“He’s put pressure on himself and his team, this coming out as it has.

“He is being paid good money but not huge dollars. He’s come out and perform wonderfully in his first season. But, gee whiz, he’s going to be putting pressure on himself this year to go one better.”

Crawley took particular issue of the power imbalance that allows situation’s like Bateman’s to evolve where speculation is rife about his future while he still has almost two years left to run on his Raiders deal.

“The game’s got to do something about it,” Crawley said.

“You sign a contract, he’s got this year and next, two full seasons to go on this contract and he’s allowed to get out.

“It’s so disheartening for the fans. It’s not right and the game’s got to do something to fix this mess.

“This was happening long before John Bateman came on to the scene. Last year we had a similar scenario with Ryan Matterson at the Wests Tigers. Who ultimately ended up at Parramatta for more money, although he says he wasn’t going for money.”

The Raiders resume their NRL season on Saturday against the Storm in Melbourne.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/bbd9758074ff38a7dd0c3927b4e2986b

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds promising for us, he's a great player who would be good for our team but im also not that keen on his attitude with the way he has gone about this. Who's to say he wont do the same to us?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My biggest reservation about Bateman is that grub Isaac Moses having one of his players at the club. Once he gets involved with a club he gets more and more control .

It's happened at the Warriors and Broncos already.

Last edited: