News Is Pay having a fluffy?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Give me a break...
Waste more time on testing and forming combinations??
Holland and remis .....a combo on fire, then following year moves Holland to the other side.

Nick meaney, finally hitting his straps last year on his preferred side, moves him to the other side this year.

Remis Smith, the best winger at the club moves him to centre.

Lewis and foran, a combo that works and won many games together, appears we will dismantle this one as well.

Don't think we have time to fuck around we are 0 -2..
But hey lets use abandon some premiership points and treat them as trial games..

I mean what the phuck do they do at training.....
That’s your opinion however the coaching staff, many who played professionally & even their country see things differently. Wait and see what actually happens

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Again, Here's where the problem...
1. The hooker lacks true direction, organizing and speed
2. The halfback has no idea what a halfback should play like, but can tackle
3. The five-eight exceptional if he stays on the field
4. The center very talented but not your classic center
5. The fullback that isn't a fullback
6. The wing that is not a wing
Does this sum it up ?
Please don't get me started on the forwards :smirk:

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All we seem to get his lets wait , lets wait and see..
So how did splitting Holland and reimis go??? So it's now hopppa and who?? That went well , think they have had too many hits in the head these staff members..
That’s your opinion however the coaching staff, many who played professionally & even their country see things differently. Wait and see what actually happens

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, as my post clearly said, at this stage Bateman hasn't happened - and might not - it'll just be funny to see which of the board and Pay haters flips if it happens.
No cop out mate - you just seem have have lost your well respected objectivity and are happy to bag Pay at any opportunity.
You're saying to me I used a hypothetical and then you've done exactly the same.
We've played two real games since September.
One of which we lost narrowly after a tumultuous week for the club and the other, yes, we absolutely blew it in the first half with way too many errors and couldn't catch up in the second half.
I'd take your point a little more if the season had've continued and after this weekend of Round 11 we were 1-10.
I don't agree with everything he's done (positional changes), but nor do I believe it's for no reason and that it's because he's clueless as some on here continually suggest.
I guess I didn't realise to be objective I couldn't say anything negative against Pay. I have never been sold on him and knew he required time with the circumstances around the club.

I was just matching your hypothetical as they are a equal chance of happening in my eyes.

I wasn't impressed with the first two games we could have still been playing that Parra game and still wouldn't have scored and that Cowboys games was shit show after the first 5 mins.

Those two games this year looked exactly the same as the previous 2 starts to the season. There hasn't been enough improvement as a team or player by player.

I don't really care about the ladder spot because we aren't in position to win the comp. What I wanted to see at the stage was Pay bringing in the young players and making them NRL players. It hasn't happened yet.

I was watching a Fox show the other day and Bryan Fletcher was asked about his favourite coaches he has had and he named Pay because he was great fun on the piss. After a few of the things that have happened it does make you wonder if he is trying to be too much a mate to the players then a coach.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It defies logic,and even the stats showed holland as been the leading line breaker during the period.
So how did splitting Holland and reimis go??? So it's now hopppa and who?? That went well , think they have had too many hits in the head these staff members..

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay will consider rotating his young halves through the NRL season to mitigate fatigue over 18 consecutive rounds leading into finals.

On Friday Pay, Cronulla's John Morris and St George Illawarra's Paul McGregor joined several fellow NRL coaches in backing a rotation policy to manage game time for players.

With no byes from round three next week until the grand final on October 25, player rotation would also allow clubs to manage the load on their biggest stars.

From the season decider, any representative players will then have 10 days until State of Origin game one in November, adding to the workload of the highest-profile rugby league stars.

Pay has four halves to manage and said, with no reserve-grade football on offer, a lack of game time for players who miss out on the best 17 each week also needs to be considered.

"There's 18 games and no byes at all so fatigue will play a factor, especially with young halves. It does wear them out playing week in and week out footy," he said.

The NRL is still looking into a replacement competition for reserve grade, although it is not considered a priority with first grade yet to get up and running.

With a broadcast deal yet to be finalised to fund the entire game, the cost of running a makeshift lower-grade competition remains a stumbling point.

For clubs, one of the biggest concerns surrounds an injury to an NRL player later in the season and having to promote a replacement who has not played for months.

"It's very rare that you get a 17-man squad that goes 18 back-to-back games," Morris said.

"If there was a niggle or someone was struggling, certainly I wouldn't hesitate to rotate them.

"At the same time, you want your best 13-17 out on the field as often as you can.

"You'd just have to monitor it and see how things go throughout the year, but you certainly want to give those guys on the fringe a chance to play."

McGregor said the Dragons are training above game-intensity at least once a week and swapping out interchange forwards would be no concern regardless of match time.

"Some stronger clubs can probably afford to do a lot more (rotation) than other clubs," he said.

"If there's not too much difference (in quality) between a player coming in and coming out, and the player that is in there is fatigued or his loads are high, then there is every reason to interchange those players and work on a roster system."
LEAVE THE FUCKING HALVES ALONE PICK AND STICK TO BUILD A COMBINATION UNLESS THERES AN INJURY! FOR FUCKS SAKE SURELY A PLAYER CAN KEEP FIT PLAYING OPPOSED SESSIONS.! NOT 2019 ALL OVER AGAIN. GET A NEW COACH[/QUOTE]

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And how is that different to any other club?
Of course players sign either for money or the chance to win a premiership - and since 2018 we've been able to offer neither.
In 2021 we've got money. And there's a distinct lack of alternatives to coach - which is why I believe Pay will be extended on a relatively short term deal - and I have no problem with this with a significantly improved squad.
Many on here have suggested the club won't be able to recruit top talent whilst Pay is coach. I guess soon enough we're all going to find out just how true those claims are.
And you can be sure that 18 months from now if the results aren't clearly measurable, expect further changes - especially leading into a board election in early 2022.
Mate...What worries me a new excuse for their failure will be found by then !

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And how is that different to any other club?
Of course players sign either for money or the chance to win a premiership - and since 2018 we've been able to offer neither.
In 2021 we've got money. And there's a distinct lack of alternatives to coach - which is why I believe Pay will be extended on a relatively short term deal - and I have no problem with this with a significantly improved squad.
Many on here have suggested the club won't be able to recruit top talent whilst Pay is coach. I guess soon enough we're all going to find out just how true those claims are.
And you can be sure that 18 months from now if the results aren't clearly measurable, expect further changes - especially leading into a board election in early 2022.
I really don't understand why so many are so sensitive when you question Pay's record and tactics and whether he should be re-signed or not.

It's professional sport. Every player, coach and referee are under pressure to perform every game. If a player gets three seasons to prove himself but doesn't establish himself during that time then we have no problem if the club releases that player. We don't make excuses for them or say let's give them another two seasons to see how they perform with better players around them.. Why should Pay be any different?

You guys act as if he's a favourite son of the club but he deserted the club in 96 and I think he's been lucky to have coached FG for three seasons.. Especially considering his lack of a resumè and poor record.. The club don't owe him anything moving forward.

If we're 3-7 or 2-8 after the next two months would you still want him re-signed? We had the worst attack in the comp last year yet some of you act like it's sacrilege to doubt him after two plus years of ugly, slow motion and predictable footy..

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Pay finds a good combination he usually breaks it up and plays guys out of their position. Smith to centre says it all.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Speaking of hits to the head, you want Holland in first grade?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You agree he was one of the form centres playing on the right?
Do you think he deserves another chance on his preferred side with reimis next to him....i do..
Speaking of hits to the head, you want Holland in first grade?

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2.reimis
3.holland
4.hoppa
5.dwz
6.foran
7.lewis.
13.elliott
12.jackson
11.britt
10.napa
9.jmk
8.tolman.

14.averillo
15.rfm
16.toomaga
17.ogden.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't understand why so many are so sensitive when you question Pay's record and tactics and whether he should be re-signed or not.

It's professional sport. Every player, coach and referee are under pressure to perform every game. If a player gets three seasons to prove himself but doesn't establish himself during that time then we have no problem if the club releases that player. We don't make excuses for them or say let's give them another two seasons to see how they perform with better players around them.. Why should Pay be any different?

You guys act as if he's a favourite son of the club but he deserted the club in 96 and I think he's been lucky to have coached FG for three seasons.. Especially considering his lack of a resumè and poor record.. The club don't owe him anything moving forward.

If we're 3-7 or 2-8 after the next two months would you still want him re-signed? We had the worst attack in the comp last year yet some of you act like it's sacrilege to doubt him after two plus years of ugly, slow motion and predictable footy..
Who's sensitive? Not me.
I just don't agree with you, simple as that.
Question all you want - I just don't think you're being subjective given the reality since 2018.
And I don't care what happened 25 years ago - if you're also going to hold that against him then it proves you're just looking for mud to stick.
3 seasons - you can claim that at the end of this season - or more realistically 2.5 seasons.
And for the umpteenth time - it's not a matter of whether I 'want' him re-signed or not - it's a matter that there's no credible alternative for 2021.
I don't think the club owes anything to anyone other than to itself to be the best it can be - and that's still a work in progress - the goal was always 2021 and the message has never wavered.
One thing we do have in common is we are both Bulldogs fans who hate seeing our club down and not among the best in the game - some of us have simply chosen to accept the reality of the long road back to financial and roster strength and not bag them along the way.
We could go on and on about this Ben - we won't agree - so I'm happy to leave it there and see what unfolds for the 2021 squad. Cheers.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will give him 2021 to coach.....i draw the line there..
LEAVE THE FUCKING HALVES ALONE PICK AND STICK TO BUILD A COMBINATION UNLESS THERES AN INJURY! FOR FUCKS SAKE SURELY A PLAYER CAN KEEP FIT PLAYING OPPOSED SESSIONS.! NOT 2019 ALL OVER AGAIN. GET A NEW COACH
[/QUOTE]

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate...What worries me a new excuse for their failure will be found by then !
Well mate if that happens they will lose their positions in early 2022 and I won't be supporting them either.
That will be incredibly disappointing if it plays out that way and they haven't been able to turn us around in the timeframe they committed to do so.
They were upfront in 2018 about the road back and that the goal was always 2021. I still believe there will be roster improvements for next year - but we're unlikely to hear anything before 30 June.
If I'm wrong I'll be the first to wear it and be as annoyed as any other Dogs fan - but for now the benefit of the doubt remains.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I guess I didn't realise to be objective I couldn't say anything negative against Pay. I have never been sold on him and knew he required time with the circumstances around the club.

I was just matching your hypothetical as they are a equal chance of happening in my eyes.

I wasn't impressed with the first two games we could have still been playing that Parra game and still wouldn't have scored and that Cowboys games was shit show after the first 5 mins.

Those two games this year looked exactly the same as the previous 2 starts to the season. There hasn't been enough improvement as a team or player by player.

I don't really care about the ladder spot because we aren't in position to win the comp. What I wanted to see at the stage was Pay bringing in the young players and making them NRL players. It hasn't happened yet.

I was watching a Fox show the other day and Bryan Fletcher was asked about his favourite coaches he has had and he named Pay because he was great fun on the piss. After a few of the things that have happened it does make you wonder if he is trying to be too much a mate to the players then a coach.
You can say what you want mate. I've just noticed your increasing level of negativity to Pay and the club and they're not even playing - that's what I don't get.
So on that note, how do you turn those young blokes into NRL players? A normal season this year would've allowed that - and it's likely several of them will get game time from next weekend considering we aren't contenders this year.
Brian Fletcher? He left the NRL 15 years ago! Clearly a lot has changed since then. But yes, I would agree it's never a good idea for a coach to be too much of a mate to his squad - we've seen that fail with the likes of Jason Taylor. At the opposite end of the scale you have Madge - probably wouldn't want that either.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who's sensitive? Not me.
I just don't agree with you, simple as that.
Question all you want - I just don't think you're being subjective given the reality since 2018.
And I don't care what happened 25 years ago - if you're also going to hold that against him then it proves you're just looking for mud to stick.
3 seasons - you can claim that at the end of this season - or more realistically 2.5 seasons.
And for the umpteenth time - it's not a matter of whether I 'want' him re-signed or not - it's a matter that there's no credible alternative for 2021.
I don't think the club owes anything to anyone other than to itself to be the best it can be - and that's still a work in progress - the goal was always 2021 and the message has never wavered.
One thing we do have in common is we are both Bulldogs fans who hate seeing our club down and not among the best in the game - some of us have simply chosen to accept the reality of the long road back to financial and roster strength and not bag them along the way.
We could go on and on about this Ben - we won't agree - so I'm happy to leave it there and see what unfolds for the 2021 squad. Cheers.
Dinkum, I respect your opinion and contributions on here.. I know your opinion differs to mine on this and you're entitled to it. I'm sure we'll agree on plenty of other issues..

Where I get frustrated is when people claim people who question certain things aren't patient or aware of the circumstances or simply aren't true fans. I have absolutely no grudge against Pay and never have. But after watching our team play under his coaching for two plus seasons, I don't think he's deserving of getting a contract extension. I don't see what the crime is in having that opinion.