News Retired Greg Inglis to make shock rugby league comeback with Super League side Warrington Wolves

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Former NRL superstar Greg Inglis will make a shock return to rugby league when he signs a one-year contract with English Super League club Warrington.​
Inglis, 33, is expected to be formally announced as a Wolves player on Wednesday morning.​
The deal to play next year will start one of the most amazing comebacks in rugby league history.​
Inglis will join fellow former NRL stars Israel Folau and Sonny Bill Williams in the competition, and UK officials believe his presence will give Super League a global injection of interest and exposure.​
Inglis is South Sydney’s pathways manager but his employment contract allows him to leave without giving notice.​
Inglis, who The Daily Telegraph has been told Inglis is with family and friends on the NSW north coast, retired from the NRL in April last year after losing his hunger for the game. He was medically fit to continue.​
The signing will be a wonderful coup for Warrington and former St George Illawarra coach Steve Price.​
Friends say Inglis has missed rugby league and been considering some form of a return for several months.

Playing in England will allow Inglis to avoid the heavy media scrutiny he played under in the NRL.
Inglis recently made Brent Richardson, the son of former South Sydney head of football Shane, his new manager. Shane Richardson has considerable contacts and influence in the UK.​
Warrington are fourth on the Super League table, having won four of seven games this season before the competition was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic. No date has been set for its return.​
Inglis will add power and experience when he arrives at Halliwell Jones Stadium, where he will play alongside former NRL stars Blake Austin and Gareth Widdop.​
On the day he retired, Inglis said: “I just think it’s time and I think it’s the right decision for myself. I’ve come to terms with it.​
“There has been a lot of speculation but as of today it’s official. There are no regrets.​
“It’s not due to mental health or injuries, I just think it’s the right time for me. I’ve been contemplating it for a while.​
“That’s me calling time on my career. No one else has called it.​
“I’m happy with my decision. I get to work with the club and stay around Redfern and work with the boys and the community. My journey’s only just starting now.”​
Inglis played 117 games for Melbourne before another 146 matches for South Sydney.​
He was involved in 10 State of Origin series wins for Queensland and played 18 Tests for Australia, securing his place as a champion of his generation.​
Souths coach Wayne Bennett said when Inglis retired: “He has achieved so much during his playing career and I’m sure his name will be mentioned alongside the greats of the game in our history.”​
Inglis’s contract last year was included in South Sydney’s salary cap.​

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Souths should have Inglis’ full contract amount added to their cap for this year.
100% and IF club administrators and CEO's don't make any noise then they are toothless and spineless.

Our club more then anyone should be making noise on this farce medical retirement.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If the NRL and Super League are supposed to work together (not sure about the medically retired rule if this is stated or not) then Inglis shouldn't be able to play anywhere. I don't agree with adding Inglis' salary cap to the Rabbitohs it would tear their roster apart so instead he just shouldn't be registered full stop.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wait. The article says he came out and retired of his own volition.

I thought it was a medical retirement?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Rabbitohs wouldn't of got his salary cap back if he just retired?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Nope. He retired and "gave up" his playing salary for staff salary...

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. He retired and "gave up" his playing salary for staff salary...
He would of got a decent payout under the table.

I’ve always said something fishy happened with him and Burgess. They’ve both done something and Souths have covered it up and they were then “medically” retired.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As Alco Uncle Buzz stated, Souths did indeed get “partial” cap relief.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking biggest scam.
We all saw it when green turd rubber stamped it and now it is there for all yo see. No surprise he was there looking after certain teams. What a load of shit.
If abdo and vlandys want to have any credibility, they need to act on this immediately.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What a effing joke this is, the NRL, Souths and Inglis are just making their own rules up as they go now, whereas most other clubs have to abide by the stringent letter of the law... GO F@%K yourself NRL!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Shane Richardson was the shiftiest CEO that ever held that title. Went from CEO at South's then off to the NRL for 2 years, then back to South's again to teach them how to suck sausages. Biggest liar as well.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't wait to see Sam Burgess come back next

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if Sam Burgess follows him over there too cause he is depressed about not playing bla bla bla and take huge pay day over there