Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Our number of cases is so low BECAUSE of the restrictions.
In part, but this doesn't tell the whole story. There are cases of jurisdictions and countries with results which are different to what the experts forecast based on their level of restrictions.

Most countries which have been smashed hardest by this virus were in their colder seasons when cases erupted.
Agree, but comparing Australia's winter to northern hemisphere winters is like comparing the St Mary's under 15's footy team to the Bulldogs NRL. Northern Hemisphere temperatures are regularly below zero with snow and ice and some of the dryest and coldest winds you'll feel anywhere on earth.....While Sydney winter might involve throwing a jumper on. Brisbane barely gets jumper weather and even Melbourne won't dip below zero. Canberra goes below zero but shit all people live there and there is absolutely no population density.

Any immunocompromised person, person with diabetes, heart conditions of a number if other serious medical conditions are at significant risk from this virus.... and we are just entering flu season when the number of immunocompromised people will significantly rise on a temporary basis and more people will be coughing, sneezing and spreading their germs all over the place faster than you spread conservative talking points.
I'm not sure why you are turning it into a political debate, it should be about the best way forward and nothing to do with politics. Back to your point though, I agree that people with compromised immune systems should be isolating themselves and so should the elderly. But this decision should be left up to individuals and not over the top government restrictions enforced by the police.

Not to mention that the virus has caused serious complications in a number of people who don’t fit into the senior demographic.... experts are also currently investigating links vereeen coronavirus and unusually high incidence of strokes in younger people who have “recovered” from the virus.
As far as I am aware there is no data in Australia indicating that the young or middle aged people are at any risk from the virus.

We have not been sitting at home “crying” we have been taking sensible precautions against a serious pandemic which may be even worse than what we already know. We are standing on the doorstep of winter and now is not the time to lift those restrictions.
I've been taking sensible precautions as well but I am concious there are millions of people in our country who can't just 'sit at home' and be cautious because they own small businesses and if they don't re-open then theirs and their families livelihoods will be pissed up against the wall.

Can I ask (sincerely) what you do for work? I feel like you don't have any appreciation for how most people in this work get by (stand to be corrected).

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
This could go on for five years, where does the Government get its strategy from?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In part, but this doesn't tell the whole story. There are cases of jurisdictions and countries with results which are different to what the experts forecast based on their level of restrictions.

Agree, but comparing Australia's winter to northern hemisphere winters is like comparing the St Mary's under 15's footy team to the Bulldogs NRL. Northern Hemisphere temperatures are regularly below zero with snow and ice and some of the dryest and coldest winds you'll feel anywhere on earth.....While Sydney winter might involve throwing a jumper on. Brisbane barely gets jumper weather and even Melbourne won't dip below zero. Canberra goes below zero but shit all people live there and there is absolutely no population density.

I'm not sure why you are turning it into a political debate, it should be about the best way forward and nothing to do with politics. Back to your point though, I agree that people with compromised immune systems should be isolating themselves and so should the elderly. But this decision should be left up to individuals and not over the top government restrictions enforced by the police.

As far as I am aware there is no data in Australia indicating that the young or middle aged people are at any risk from the virus.

I've been taking sensible precautions as well but I am concious there are millions of people in our country who can't just 'sit at home' and be cautious because they own small businesses and if they don't re-open then theirs and their families livelihoods will be pissed up against the wall.

Can I ask (sincerely) what you do for work? I feel like you don't have any appreciation for how most people in this work get by (stand to be corrected).
Great post. I like your views on this topic. We currently have less than 700 active cases in a country of 25mil. That’s 0.000028% We’ve lost 98 lives now over 2.5 months. We lose close to 500 lives daily in Australia anyway, no one ever jumps up and down about this. Our primary goal was to ensure hospital systems had time to prepare and cope with sick patients. This has been achieved then some. Time to get things moving. The majority have died in nursing homes without the use of emergency department facilities. This was part of the triage process, don’t block up emergency wards with people that don’t have a realistic chance anyway. It’s part of life. Our icu beds are ready for use if needed.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people overseas are in shock that we are still (until today) under such severe restrictions.

There is something like 5 people in all of NSW in hospital in a serious condition due to the virus.

Can't stay indoors forever crying like little babies.

There needs to be extreme restrictions for the elderly who are the ones at risk from this virus, while the rest of the population goes back to work and school.
"Most people overseas" likely have not even heard what's going on in Australia (as they are busy taking care of their own backyard) and if they happen to be exposed to Australia's successful journey/battle against corona, they would be envious of the outcome, wishing their own government had triggered similar restrictions.
I know this because I am overseas. I am not most people overseas, no! But such a sweeping statement makes no sense and contradicts the remainder of what you propose. The restrictions are the very reason there are few cases / hospitalizations.
Had the lockdown Australia implemented consisted of more relaxed measures, it would need to be in place much longer, negatively impacting a possible V-shaped economic rebound.

There is a tremendous amount of information succinctly detailing the measures required to be in place to ensure best chance of successfully re-opening.
Underlying principles of: testing, tracking, tracing, isolation and quarantine (not simply focusing on elderly).
Ignoring such guidelines will almost certainly result in second wave events.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"Most people overseas" likely have not even heard what's going on in Australia (as they are busy taking care of their own backyard) and if they happen to be exposed to Australia's successful journey/battle against corona, they would be envious of the outcome, wishing their own government had triggered similar restrictions.
I know this because I am overseas. I am not most people overseas, no! But such a sweeping statement makes no sense and contradicts the remainder of what you propose. The restrictions are the very reason there are few cases / hospitalizations.
Had the lockdown Australia implemented consisted of more relaxed measures, it would need to be in place much longer, negatively impacting a possible V-shaped economic rebound.

There is a tremendous amount of information succinctly detailing the measures required to be in place to ensure best chance of successfully re-opening.
Underlying principles of: testing, tracking, tracing, isolation and quarantine (not simply focusing on elderly).
Oh he’s a master at sweeping generalisations.. He once generalised about a generalisation.. :D

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Great post. I like your views on this topic. We currently have less than 700 active cases in a country of 25mil. That’s 0.000028% We’ve lost 98 lives now over 2.5 months. We lose close to 500 lives daily in Australia anyway, no one ever jumps up and down about this. Our primary goal was to ensure hospital systems had time to prepare and cope with sick patients. This has been achieved then some. Time to get things moving. The majority have died in nursing homes without the use of emergency department facilities. This was part of the triage process, don’t block up emergency wards with people that don’t have a realistic chance anyway. It’s part of life. Our icu beds are ready for use if needed.
Just curious.. Would you think the same if it was your grandfather, your grandmother, or someone you know’s relation? I’ll extend the question..how about other’s who are in a compromised position, who if they got the virus it would be touch and go..more go than touch..say @ASSASSIN who has a heart problem..or say me who has a spinal injury?
Gee mate you’d be one person I would not want in my footy team when the chips were down, all things seemed lost, and your team mates hurting, you’d go missing in action.

Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hey dog how you doing over there ? Hope you're safe and well

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just curious.. Would you think the same if it was your grandfather, your grandmother, or someone you know’s relation? I’ll extend the question..how about other’s who are in a compromised position, who if they got the virus it would be touch and go..more go than touch..say @ASSASSIN who has a heart problem..or say me who has a spinal injury?
Gee mate you’d be one person I would not want in my footy team when the chips were down and all things seemed lost, you’d go missing in action.
Lol, footy ability. Got you covered mate. You’ve never seen me play, silly statement. Like stated earlier people with comorbidities take extra care. My parents are elderly and want restrictions eased. This notion that we’re Spain were Italy is such a silly thing. We’re not Europe. We’re not the rest of the world. Russia is lifting restrictions with over 200000 active cases. On a side note, to say I’d go missing in action. Sounds like your the one running away and hiding..I’m a realist, life goes on. My wife works in a hospital and has set up wards to cope with this. She even thinks it’s time to move things along.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

I really don’t think it matters if we have sub zero temperatures in most cities here. We have a flu season, it gets cold enough here. people will be coughing, sneezing and spreading more germs and a second wave is a concern for all countries.If it wasn’t, we would not have health experts admitting how scared they were about a second wave.

We may be fortunate to have a large country with a relatively small population, but the vast majority of people here live in condensed city centres which are very much susceptible.

I’m not turning anything into a political issue. It is the right wingers around the world who have turned this into a political issue by trying to make a public health crisis into a libertarian issue. For someone who does not think this is a political issue, your arguments certainly share a lot of similarities with the arguments of right wing commentators around the world. It shouldn’t be a political issue, but sadly everything is framed along political lines these days.

I agree the fines have been too over the top in some cases..... in some cases they have just been blatantly revenue raising.... we had two people who shared a house cop a massive fine for taking a drive to the beach to sit and look at the water without leaving their cars. But the majority of measures have been in place for a good reason snd they have done their job. I think it’s naive of you to even suggest things would not have been a lot worse if more relaxed measures were put in place.

The reality is we were fairly fortunate here in that our geographical isolation (and probably the warmth of our summer and early autumn) somewhat shielded us from the pandemic in its early stages and by the time it really started to hit here, we had seen enough of what was happening in other countries to understand the importance of shutting down and flattening the curve.

I understand the situation is taking a heavy toll on small businesses, but I really don’t think they will be much better off in the long run if we reopen everything at the worst possible time, cop a second wave which is much more serious than the first and are forced into a second lock down which is much longer and more prohibitive to their businesses than slightly extending the current lock down would be.

I get that it’s not an easy situation to manage and economic issues are a concern, as are mental health issues.... but returning to peak hour chaos on the doorstep of winter is a terrible idea, imho.

Concerns about strokes in young people being connected to COVID-19 have been pretty widely reported, btw.

There are many things about the virus we still don’t understand.... to dismiss it as just a disease for old or sick people to worry about is not constructive.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-causes-strokes-inflammation-in-blood-vessels-clots-2020-4?amp

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, footy ability. Got you covered mate. You’ve never seen me play, silly statement. Like stated earlier people with comorbidities take extra care. My parents are elderly and want restrictions eased. This notion that we’re Spain were Italy is such a silly thing. We’re not Europe. We’re not the rest of the world. Russia is lifting restrictions with over 200000 active cases. On a side note, to say I’d go missing in action. Sounds like your the one running away and hiding..I’m a realist, life goes on. My wife works in a hospital and has set up wards to cope with this. She even thinks it’s time to move things along.
It’s an analogy about your attitude ..no more silly than your comment that some don’t deserve at least a chance because they are going to die anyway..And the last thing I'd do is run and hide from anything bud..lol..to last one day..an hour in my shoes..and you’d soon realise that..metaphorically..and literally for that matter..

Last edited:

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh he’s a master at sweeping generalisations.. He once generalised about a generalisation.. :D
Nothing against @Dawgfather and his views; generalization works for very high level analyses of simple concepts. Patterns if you will.
Rarely ever beneficial for granularity or reality.

Last edited:

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey dog how you doing over there ? Hope you're safe and well
Hiya southy! Thankfully an essential worker, and thus contributing expertise and effort to the fight!
We are doing very well here, the circuit breaker has started a planned phased scale-back, the first of which opened up certain businesses this week.
The queues at barbers/salons were real!!!

The idea of no travel is not sitting well, on the flip side, the only place I'd want to travel to right now is Australia .. finger's crossed that possibility opens back up before Christmas 8-)

BTW: frequently thinking about how lucky we were to have had two Japan trips in 12 months! Wishing yours is planned immediately upon routes re-opening!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s an analogy about your attitude ..no more silly than your comment that some don’t deserve at least a chance because they are going to die anyway..And the last thing I'd do is run and hide from anything bud..lol..to last one day..an hour in my shoes..and you’d soon realise that..metaphorically..and literally..
It’s not silly, it’s triage. Only the ones with a stronger chance survive. It’s been this way since day dot. My empathy levels are low I agree. Probably doesn’t help being with a women who works in the business and feels the same. I think of myself as a realist with little emotion. Others may see me as harsh.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not silly, it’s triage. Only the ones with a stronger chance survive. It’s been this way since day dot. My empathy levels are low I agree. Probably doesn’t help being with a women who works in the business and feels the same. I think of myself as a realist with little emotion. Others may see me as harsh.
I believe everyone deserves an equal shot at getting better, and those caring for them should do their best at giving them every chance at getting better. Although I understand, sometimes that isn’t possible, and decisions have to be made, a decision that I do not envy. But the initial attitude should always be first to help everyone equally, until situations make it impossible to do so, than comes a triage approach, but what determines why someone is more eligible to help live is not an easy thing to decide upon as far as I’m concerned, it’s not so cut and dry in my mind.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most people overseas are in shock that we are still (until today) under such severe restrictions.

There is something like 5 people in all of NSW in hospital in a serious condition due to the virus.

Can't stay indoors forever crying like little babies.

There needs to be extreme restrictions for the elderly who are the ones at risk from this virus, while the rest of the population goes back to work and school.
That didn't work so well for Sweden, even though the guy who came up with the plan is claiming that it's working perfectly.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There are many things about the virus we still don’t understand.... to dismiss it as just a disease for old or dick people to worry about is not constructive.
Are they also known as wankers..lol!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hiya southy! Thankfully an essential worker, and thus contributing expertise and effort to the fight!
We are doing very well here, the circuit breaker has started a planned phased scale-back, the first of which opened up certain businesses this week.

The idea of no travel is not sitting well, on the flip side, the only place I'd want to travel to right now is Australia .. finger's crossed that possibility opens back up before Christmas 8-)

BTW: frequently thinking about how lucky we were to have had two Japan trips in 12 months! Wishing yours is planned immediately upon routes re-opening!

It could of been 3 lol would of been back by now and planning Halloween .with the credit I got I'll discover more nz ( when ok do so )and New Caledonia hopefully back to Japan in 12 to 18 months and Korea .
It's going to be interesting how this all plays out ,you got trump being more retarded than usual, China getting grumpy and Kim jong playing hide and seek coronavirus might be the least of our worries in the future

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

It could of been 3 lol would of been back by now and planning Halloween .with the credit I got I'll discover more nz ( when ok do so )and New Caledonia hopefully back to Japan in 12 to 18 months and Korea .
It's going to be interesting how this all plays out ,you got trump being more retarded than usual, China getting grumpy and Kim jong playing hide and seek coronavirus might be the least of our worries in the future
When we are finally able to travel overseas again, well hopefully, I have decided that I am going to pull my finger out and book a trip to Japan. Seeing as both of you guys have been there a few times I was wondering if you had any tips or places, things I should do and see? I have heard to watch out for Nigerians in Kabukichō trying to get you to go in to clubs and/or offering women. Also to watch out for host or hostess clubs charging extra and/or hidden costs on top of your orders.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed! The remainder of 2020 is set to be quite interesting indeed .. buckled in for the ride.
There are two races that finish 3 Nov this year, one won by a horse, the other a donkey or elephant?!

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we are finally able to travel overseas again, well hopefully, I have decided that I am going to pull my finger out and book a trip to Japan. Seeing as both of you guys have been there a few times I was wondering if you had any tips or places, things I should do and see? I have heard to watch out for Nigerians in Kabukichō trying to get you to go in to clubs and/or offering women. Also to watch out for host or hostess clubs charging extra and/or hidden costs on top of your orders.
LOVE Japan @MatstaDogg !! Definitely make it a destination.
Can't believe it took me 40 years to get there.

So far I've only travelled in winter; first trip was very Tokyo-centric with a side trip to Hokane for the hot springs.
Each trip we've ensured we have access to an onsen (Japanese style hot tub, either private or within the ryokan accommodation). I vaguely recall you have tattoos, so if you're interested be sure to upgrade to private onsen since tattoos are not allowed in public onsen (can check here for https://tattoo-friendly.jp/ hot-spots).
If you're into fresh powder, soaking in an onsen while snow is falling after a shredding day on the mountain is possibly one of the most relieving and tranquil experiences you could imagine!

Highly recommend Hokkaido .. ski resorts are within a couple of hours by bus.

Public transport is terrific; top rate, on time, efficient, economical and beyond clean!
Credit cards accepted in most places, but the usual strategy of changing a couple hundred $$ for Yen is beneficial for the small transactions.
7-11 has better sushi than some Japanese restaurants (outside Japan), super convenient.
Take a couple spare green grocery bags to fill with treats at the final departure airport, the snacks are amazing!

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.