News Bulldogs star tees off in anti-vax critics as NSW makes stand-down call

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The measles outbreak in Samoa wasn't induced by anti vaxxers. It was the result of a high profile child death from a vaccine and poor government.
Not really. The bad anti-vaxxers movement was created the deaths of two children who died from taking a vaccine. That was due to negligence by the nurses (they mixed the vaccine with expired muscle relaxant)

The Samoan community blamed vaccines in general even though it was clearly nothing to do with regular vaccines.

So they refused the MMR vaccines and many children died because without the vaccines, an outbreak occurred.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A few of my islander mates have told they have a lot of people in their community and even family who are all into this anitvax crap now some are even flat eathers....

It’s quiet sad it’s spread abit in the islander community as they aren’t bad people or like the previous stereotype Iv mentioned

Why does she have such a large following and who are following her?
It's generally like any community. There's always going to be groups of anti-vaxxers and when a tragedy happens and you're not sure who to blame, people will always jump to conclusions.

Overall though, it's not a massively widespread thing throughout the pacific island community from what I've seen. Samoa was based on the deaths of two children (coupled with misinformation and a lack of understanding). You don't really see the same thing through the rest of the islands.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bryce Cartwright received an exemption from the QLD government allowing him to play without a vaccine.

NRL can still block it if they choose to.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not really. The bad anti-vaxxers movement was created the deaths of two children who died from taking a vaccine. That was due to negligence by the nurses (they mixed the vaccine with expired muscle relaxant)

The Samoan community blamed vaccines in general even though it was clearly nothing to do with regular vaccines.

So they refused the MMR vaccines and many children died because without the vaccines, an outbreak occurred.
Ok. I will tell my family who live in Samoa. What would i know

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok. I will tell my family who live in Samoa. What would i know
Sorry. Must have misread your original post. Thought you said that the deaths weren't caused by anti-vaccine people.

I was saying that the deaths were caused by people who became anti-vaxxers because of the two deaths. Sounds like you were saying the same thing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It actually is for anybody who works in a residential aged care facility
Child care workers too, and I believe health care workers as well. Higher duty of care. Not for general workers outside those fields though.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Child care workers too, and I believe health care workers as well. Higher duty of care. Not for general workers outside those fields though.
Yeah ok but you just said it’s not legal requirement for you to go to work? It can be mandated if necessary. In this case right or wrong they are saying it is.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah ok but you just said it’s not legal requirement for you to go to work? It can be mandated if necessary. In this case right or wrong they are saying it is.
Operative word being "you"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Like anything. There's always exceptions where needed.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
A lot of the problem is that many islanders here and in the islands Itself can't Read very well, so they rely on Facebook and YouTube videos to get information, which is a platform rife with conspiracy theory and anti vax BS.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d love our healthcare and their freedom (and beer & food)
I wouldn’t. I hate the notion you have a right to bear arms. Seems every person over there thinks carrying a gun is the answer. We have it great over here.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn’t. I hate the notion you have a right to bear arms. Seems every person over there thinks carrying a gun is the answer. We have it great over here.
You'll wish you had a gun too when Moey and the boys are ransacking your lounge room at 2am or Joey is in your daughters bedroom looking for his next ice hit.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why are so many Islanders and Mormons who are also made up of many islanders so into this antivax bullshit?

Like fuck, it just lets them play into the whole islanders are dumb *****/small brained stereotype sadly...

Surely these footy players who are clearly not academics or medical experts would listen to someone who is actually studied or an expert in these fields over listening to another dumb c*** foot player?
You'll find religious beliefs are often at the heart of these things, or a deep distrust of governments - the conspiracy theory brigade.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'll wish you had a gun too when Moey and the boys are ransacking your lounge room at 2am or Joey is in your daughters bedroom looking for his next ice hit.
I'd rather call the police.

You'd prefer they took your valuables, than shot up your family when you brandish a gun. If we were like the US, they'd be packing guns, too.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I guess it depends where you are. Plenty of people carry guns here too but yes I’m glad there aren’t as many

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is the same country that has Medicare for all right...you want to live in the US where that isn't the case? Having lived in both trust me you won't want to have to have surgery in the US...it's all out of your pocket and that's IF you have medical insurance in the first place!

In these times everyone and I repeat everyone has to give a bit and that may mean some "freedoms" are compromised. It's a small price to pay for the health of the country. How is it fair that players aren't vaccinated who then can make others get more sick including the elderly who are at age risk especially this year.
Not saying anything about Medicare nor USA.... just that I believe in free choice... and respect others' right to make theirs...
If you choose to give your freedom away than that is your choice... I respect that... but please respect my choice to stay free and not give any of it away...
Peace out...

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yearly flu vax is optional for NSW Health, though it's highly recommended and they push it.
You need to have all the regular vax like Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Hep B, MMR, TB, chicken pox and have evidence to prove it.
I haven't always had the annual flu vax, but since having kids it's been a regular thing.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
A lot of the problem is that many islanders here and in the islands Itself can't Read very well, so they rely on Facebook and YouTube videos to get information, which is a platform rife with conspiracy theory and anti vax BS.
I know you are a troll but i would still love to punch you in the face

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry. Must have misread your original post. Thought you said that the deaths weren't caused by anti-vaccine people.

I was saying that the deaths were caused by people who became anti-vaxxers because of the two deaths. Sounds like you were saying the same thing.
I was half agreeing with you bro. It was just bigger than anti vaxxers causing the epidemic in Samoa. It was not really driven by the usual anti vax movement. IMO, the anti vax movement includes wider conspiracies like governments poisoning populations, inserting tracking devices, causing autism etc. and other unfounded or discredited theories. Don't get me wrong, this was part of it but the Samoa measles outbreak was much broader than that. It was reactive to those child deaths from the incorrectly administered vaccines, corruption within the government, anti Chinese sentiments, pro Chinese sentiments, poor health system and outside influences from Instagram anti vaxxers.