doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Proving how below average our recruitment is

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/gr...gers-as-dogs-door-closes-20200511-p54rvg.html

Josh Reynolds has a fight on his hands to retain a Wests Tigers bench spot, while any hopes of a third attempt to return home to Canterbury also appear to be quickly fading.

Harry Grant has impressed everyone at the Tigers since arriving from Melbourne, with Cameron Smith's former dummy-half under-study a huge chance to wear the No.9 jersey in the joint venture's next game.

The Wests Tigers have returned to the club as the NRL powers towards a May 28 return date. #NRL

Should that happen, Grant's good friend Billy Walters - not Reynolds - will likely get the nod to fill the utility role on the bench.

Reynolds, impossible to miss on Monday with his bleached locks, reached out to the Bulldogs a few weeks ago about a return, which prompted the club to then make some inquiries to the Tigers about an immediate release.

While Canterbury coach Dean Pay left the door ajar for Reynolds late last week, the Herald has been told by sources close to both western Sydney clubs the move simply will not happen unless the playmaker is prepared to accept minimum wage.

Reynolds will earn north of $750,000 the next two seasons, and while Canterbury acknowledge they need experience in their pack, Reynolds' price tag is just too high and he would only be seen as a short-term fix.

Josh Reynolds trains with the Wests Tigers on Monday.CREDIT:AAP

With no reserve grade in which to impress coach Michael Maguire, the only way for Reynolds to push his case for a recall is to blitz it on the training paddock.

Technically Reynolds cannot be approached by a rival club with more than 12 months remaining on his deal, but the Tigers were happy to listen to any proposals put forward by the Dogs. There has been no contact in a fortnight, and that is not expected to change.

The Tigers are mindful of not letting the negotiations become a distraction for Reynolds, especially after it became an emotional burden last year when talk of a Belmore return again surfaced.

Canterbury have 27 players on their roster and are awaiting confirmation from the NRL if they have to sign replacements for sacked duo Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor.

Hooker Harry Grant has impressed since arriving from Melbourne.CREDIT:AAP

Co-captain Moses Mbye, who played with Reynolds at the Bulldogs, said of his friend: "I personally haven't spoken to him about it, I think he's had a tough couple of years and he hasn't had much reward for the hard work he's put in, so whatever happens with 'Grub', be it here or elsewhere, it would be good to see him playing first-grade footy and back where he belongs. Whatever is best for him I'm certainly supportive.''

Mbye said Grant was unproven in the NRL and there had been plenty of handy NSW and Queensland Cup players ''who haven't cut the mustard at NRL level''.

"But we have really big expectations of Harry, and what he has shown in his first week of training has been exceptional,'' Mbye said of his fellow Queenslander.

"It's a good headache to have for the head coach. We've got depth, which is something we haven't had the past couple of seasons.''

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How depressing if this is part of our grand plan after all these years of misery.
Being the bottom Sydney club, we’ll probably have to merge with the Tigers soon enough and all this won’t matter anyway

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being the bottom Sydney club, we’ll probably have to merge with the Tigers soon enough and all this won’t matter anyway
Hypothetically, if we were to merge, the Tigers geographically makes the most sense. Very depressing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Unfortunately it may be our only choice. Wakeham may be the long term 7 but with no reserve grade and a shorten comp I dont think the club want to take the risk. With foz n grub we may be able to jag a few wins and threaten the 8. I know you Love to hate grub but we lack that killer instinct, the fight. The kick chase never give up attitude. The club has lacked leaderships on the field. The future does look brighter with a few kids coming through like harper Averillo and Rt but we still need an old head. Reynold's on 400k or foz on 700k for next year if you had that choice.
No it's fucking bullshit. Recruit a Friend if we want experience, someone that is performing and had won comps, etc. Not fucking Reynolds because "BuLlDoG dNa". Fucking these dumbcunt at the club.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
‘Every study saying something, I’ll show you a study saying something else’. Politics 101.

I won’t comment further until we see the outcome but I’d be far more inclined to believe this than the dribble the Terrorgraph put out daily.

I love how most automatically assume it’s a done deal and the Dogs would pay big dollars for it too.

Let’s just wait and see...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
‘Every study saying something, I’ll show you a study saying something else’. Politics 101.

I won’t comment further until we see the outcome but I’d be far more inclined to believe this than the dribble the Terrorgraph put out daily.

I love how most automatically assume it’s a done deal and the Dogs would pay big dollars for it too.

Let’s just wait and see...
I wouldn’t say the Herald is any better then the Telegraph now it’s Nines mouthpiece.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
No it's fucking bullshit. Recruit a Friend if we want experience, someone that is performing and had won comps, etc. Not fucking Reynolds because "BuLlDoG dNa". Fucking these dumbcunt at the club.
I already said before get friend. Who would you buy for our halves who has won a premiership and is available. There is no one. Building a club isn't about winning ,we need to build a culture and have leaders. We lost that when prichard left, than ennis than Reynolds than Graham . Someone to pass the club values the tradition that builds culture. Having talent with nothing else you become the warriors.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lewis doesn't come across like a player that shits himself
Puts his body on the line.
Puts his body on the line to make a tackle. He will put a hit on but by the way he plays you can tell he tries to avoid getting hit hence the hospital passes..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say the Herald is any better then the Telegraph now it’s Nines mouthpiece.
Fair comment. Herald definitely changing. A mate of mine was ex-Fairfax and left after the merger (really a takeover). He said the Nine culture was pretty toxic.
It's the same as how 2GB is just becoming a radio version of the Today show.
Right now I'd still believe it over Buzz, but for how long who knows.
Anyway - as far as Reynolds is concerned I'll wait and see. I wouldn't agree with it but I don't automatically think it's going to happen and certainly don't think there's any chance the Dogs would pay substantially for it even if it did.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hypothetically, if we were to merge, the Tigers geographically makes the most sense. Very depressing.
Why the fuck would a club with our history and rich leagues club merge ? Don’t believe the media seriously

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Puts his body on the line to make a tackle. He will put a hit on but by the way he plays you can tell he tries to avoid getting hit hence the hospital passes..
Umm he takes his time when he kicks, no worries in the world

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jake granville getting on but is an attacking player , forgot friend hes lichaa but 30yrs old and a rooster fuck that. But if reynolds is coming he will be a more then capable hooker hes got mongrel skill enthusiasm effort on effort
Granville's better than what we have. I still rate Friend and think he's still one of the top hookers in the competition. The only problem is he's injury prone and can't play 80 minutes anymore, JMK is a good option to have coming off the bench tho. Also Friend is a winner and has experience.

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Watching the games Reynolds has played this year he is far and wide better than Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham (although i think Wakeham will be better with Foran)
I think Reynolds and Foran is a decent combination with Wakeham to play bench role until he takes the game by the balls and then having grub coming off the bench is better than what we have now.
Also with Reynolds you can never fault his heart which i rate, Lewis is the worst half i have ever seen watching rugby league so anything is an upgrade.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Watching the games Reynolds has played this year he is far and wide better than Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham (although i think Wakeham will be better with Foran)
I think Reynolds and Foran is a decent combination with Wakeham to play bench role until he takes the game by the balls and then having grub coming off the bench is better than what we have now.
Also with Reynolds you can never fault his heart which i rate, Lewis is the worst half i have ever seen watching rugby league so anything is an upgrade.
If we don't give Wakeham game time he isn't going to re-sign and instead look elsewhere. Reynolds should be 9 or 14 and play 6 if/when Foran is injured.