Social Media Return for Reynolds??

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The amount of smoke around this is really making me concerned now.

If they have waited this long for a full cap and they waste it on the likes of Reynolds it will be heartbreaking.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually like Reynolds due to his never say die attitude. He's one player that will spark those around him through determination when everyone is looking for inspiration. He's not a half with the most impressive skillset, but he doesn't go into his shell and let a loss happen without trying. Sometimes just seeing one player throwing everything into a game is more valuable than a talented player who will wait for things to happen. But right now I think the ship has sailed on his time with the club. We have a bit of a log jam with halves. Between Lewis, Cogger, Foran, Wakeham and Averillo we have three players that are going to miss out. I know Reynolds spent a lot of time at hooker in his junior days, but with his injury history, throwing him into a position where he'd be tackling forwards all game wouldn't be ideal. If we got him very cheaply I'd be ok with having him at the club. But I just don't see it happening.
Agree with this. I miss players where it was obvious they hated losing. We were lucky having three players like that in the one team with Graham, Ennis and Reynolds who were never the most talented in their positions. The only spot for Reynolds these days would be as a 5-10 minute hooker at the back end of a half to try and spark something. Salary to align with that

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bulldogs in talks to bring Josh Reynolds back to Belmore in 2020

Imagine, Bulldogs fans, Josh Reynolds and Kieran Foran leading your side around the park in 2020! Canterbury coach Dean Pay, for one, wants it to happen.

Talks to bring Canterbury favourite Josh Reynolds back to Belmore in season 2020 have begun, as Dean Pay confirmed his interest in the Wests Tigers playmaker.

The Bulldogs coach said he was open to signing Reynolds, who is currently contracted to the Tigers until the end of season 2021, but that he had not spoken to him personally.

While Pay might not have made contact himself, News Corp Australia understands that Reynolds and his management held talks with Canterbury club officials on Anzac Day to discuss the local junior’s potential homecoming.

“At this stage I haven’t (spoken to Josh) but if it gets tossed up, we’ve got some spots available, he’s a quality player but there are some circumstances you need to get past before anything can happen,” Pay said.

Any move now hinges on the Tigers and their willingness to release Reynolds from the final two seasons on his deal and the rival clubs agreeing on financial terms.

“It’s been tossed up in the media over the last few days … what we are interested in is some quality players and that’s what he is,” Pay said.

“Josh has to go through the Tigers and see where he is at with that, but again from our point of view, if that was the case we’d have to have a look at it.”

After 138 games and seven seasons at the Bulldogs, salary cap restraints forced Reynolds to walk away from the club. He signed a lucrative four-year deal with the Tigers only to be told he was free to look elsewhere in June last year.

A homecoming for Reynolds and a timely return from injury for playmaker Kieran Foran could see the experienced halves duo lead the Bulldogs around the park in 2020.

Before COVID-19 forced the season into a six-week suspension, Foran was set to miss at least 13 rounds. But the hiatus means the New Zealand international could be back in the first few rounds of the season resuming on May 28.

“He’s going really well, he’s done everything so far. He trained today and obviously there is no contact in our training at the moment so he’ll jump into some more intensive training over the next couple of weeks. That’ll have a big bearing on whether he comes back in the next round of footy or not,” Pay said.

The Bulldogs lost winger Jayden Okunbor and forward Corey Harawira-Naera on the eve of the season after the NRL deregistered the pair for their role in an off-season sex scandal.

They will also be without new recruit Joe Stimson after he suffered a season ending shoulder injury.

Rather than look elsewhere for a short-term fix, Pay is happy to turn to the talent within his own ranks to replace the trio.

But Pay will still need to go turn to the open market to fill the final three spots in his top 30.

“There’s been no footy over the last six or seven weeks, we’re always looking at bringing in some quality players and it has to be the right players, our squad at the moment has players that are fit and healthy so there is good competition for spots here at the moment but it’s quality players out there that we’re interested in,” he said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...0/news-story/079ee5bd7d23d8a2579df99f2fe9a7d9

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can't imagine we would sign on top $. Don't think he would be signed in view as being a starter either. I've always thought of Reynolds as an impact bench player. I think he would do well in the 14

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was really against this idea initially but now FUCK it seems we're pretty fucking desperate.

If we get him I'd really like to know how much we are paying / how much the Tigers are willing to put in. Anything more than 400K a season (less 20% for this season) would be too much for us to pay in my opinion.

How do you think he'd go alongside Foran or possibly at hooker ? If paired with Foran suddenly we have not 1 but 2 very experienced halves. He's certainly worth considering for hooker at least.

We're pretty desperate for some strike and at least Reynolds runs the ball (unlike many) and offers a bit of unpredictability in attack - which is exactly what we need.

Benji knows how Reynolds feels as Dogs leave homecoming door open
Author
Troy WhittakerNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 9 May 2020, 09:20 AM
Share on social media
Benji Marshall knows the dilemma facing Josh Reynolds as the Wests Tigers utility faces the prospect of staying at the club or making a potential return to Canterbury.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has left the door open for Reynolds to make a homecoming if the Wests Tigers release him from the final two years of his contract.

Pay on Friday said that he had not contacted Reynolds about a potential homecoming but said "we've got some spots available, he's a quality player".

Marshall went through a similar situation a few years ago when he was at Brisbane but his original club, the Wests Tigers, came knocking about coming back.

Reynolds played 138 matches for the Dogs but left his junior club in 2018 for a four-year deal at the Tigers.

The veteran playmaker's first two seasons have been marred by injuries and he was given permission to negotiate with other clubs last year before staying at Concord.

Dogs ready to play their part in getting the game back

He faces a battle to make the game-day 17 for the club in round three at the end of the month with Luke Brooks healthy again after a hamstring injury sidelined him in the first two matches of the season in March.

The Tigers have also acquired young hooker Harry Grant from the Storm during the Telstra Premiership hiatus while Billy Walters impressed in the No.9 jersey in the first two rounds.

Marshall said the Tigers had been giving Reynolds plenty of stick at training about being in demand.

Jackson grateful to return to training

"He hasn't [spoken to the team about it] but we've made an issue to ask him every day if he wants to do an announcement or not, just having a laugh with him and just joking around," he said.

"I'm not sure, to be honest … I've been in Josh's position where I've been at another club and the Tigers was my home.

"I just said to Josh, 'If that happens and you go back to where you were at the Bulldogs that you love, then than that's all good mate. No one's going to hold that against you'.

"Because Josh is that type of person who just wants to be so loyal and feels like he owes something to the club.

"I don't know if it's true or that but if it does eventuate and that's what he thinks is best for him then that's all good. We love having him here, because as you guys know he's one of the best blokes to have around. Even though he's got blond-dyed hair at the moment and looks shit, we'll just still have him."

When asked about Reynolds being told he could look elsewhere by the Tigers last year, Marshall said: "It's always hard to hear that, but we're in a sport where that's the reality.

"I've been in that position and it's tough, but what you've got to do is you've got to weigh up all the things you think are best for you.

"While you've got a contract at a club, you're more than welcome to stay. But if you choose to go elsewhere, then that's up to you. I love the Grub. I love having him here and I hope he stays."

Canterbury have vacancies in their roster following after back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera and winger Jayden Okunbor were deregistered last month by the NRL over code of conduct breaches in the pre-season during a trial at Port Macquarie.

"It [Reynolds returning] has been talked up in the media in the past few days. What we're interested in is some quality players and that's what he is," Pay said.

"Josh would have to go through the Tigers and see where he's at but just from our point of view, if that was the case, we'd have to have a look at it.

Foran inches closer to NRL return

"We've got a couple of spots open. I think most clubs have a couple of spots open so there's an opportunity where, if we get further injuries and we need to recruit, we can bring some more players in," he said on Friday.

"I think we're in a pretty healthy position to be in."

Canterbury lost their opening two matches but Kiwi international Kieran Foran is closing in on a return from the shoulder injury he suffered representing New Zealand in November.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns sees Josh Reynolds as wrong buy for Bulldogs
By Ben Glover
20 hours ago

FShareTTweetBEmail
Andrew Johns says the Bulldogs would be making a mistake if they brought Josh Reynolds back to Belmore for next season.

After spending years fighting with one hand tied behind their back thanks to a salary cap mess, Canterbury have finally got some buying power to get back in the market.

That's likely to lead to a marquee signing or two ahead of the 2020 season, however Johns says inviting Reynolds to return could hamper the club's rebuild.

Josh Reynolds fires a pass for Wests Tigers in a pre-season trial against the Warriors. (Getty)

"They're rebuilding, they have to rebuild. I don't see getting Josh back, at that stage of his career, and the injuries he's had would be a wise move," Johns told Wide World of Sports' Freddy & The Eighth.

Reynolds recently turned 31 and is on a huge deal with the Wests Tigers which doesn't expire until the end of next year.

Despite arriving on a deal worth $750,000-a-year, the former NSW five-eighth has stalled at the joint venture, playing just 14 games since being lured to the club by Ivan Cleary to replace Mitchell Moses for the 2018 season.

He has never established himself as a starting player at Concord and was last year told by coach Michael Maguire that he could start looking for a new club.

Reynolds played all his best footy at the Bulldogs and is still a beloved figure at Belmore, attaching some romance to the possibility of a homecoming.

Latest NRL Videos

Thaiday's Friday Trivia: Episode 4
18:01

NRL turned WWE star Daniel Vidot - Sunday Footy Show exclusive interview
03:09

The Trailer Kick at Freddy’s farm
04:22

However, the latest The Daily Telegraph report on the potential reunion suggests Maguire may have had a rethink after Benji Marshall made it clear he would not determine his future beyond this season until later in the year.

Benji Marshall is the current Wests Tigers five-eighth. (Getty)
If the Tigers dig in it could save the Bulldogs another poor recruitment call, according to Johns, who said a half at the other end of his career should be a priority, particularly considering the issues they've had keeping million-dollar half Kieran Foran on the field. Foran comes off contract at the end of this season.

"I don't see it as a wise move for the Bulldogs, getting an older half back in there who's had a lot of injuries, and taking up a chunk of the salary cap. I know Tigers wouldn't be paying for it," Johns said.

"If I was them I'd be going out and buying the best young half. Jake Clifford from the Cowboys isn't getting a start. I'd be going and getting him."

Clifford has fallen behind Scott Drinkwater in the pecking order at North Queensland, leaving Clifford, 22, in limbo at an important time in his development.

Jake Clifford (Getty)
While the Cairns product has shown glimpses of potential in his 21 NRL appearances, Brad Fittler believes the Bulldogs might have an even better young half already on their books.

Brandon Wakeham has just turned 21 and last season played five games in Dean Pay's side.

According to Fittler, Wakeham was the best half in an age group bristling with talent and could be the player to power the club back into finals contention.

Brandon Wakeham is already a Fiji international (Getty)
"I've spoken a couple of times about Brandon Wakeham, I don't know where his career's going to go but he was the best young half," Fittler said.

"He was the schoolboy who used to beat (Broncos stars) David Fifita and Payne Haas, they were in the same team.

"(Wakeham) played in the team that beat them in Year 12, so you've got a bloke there who's really competitive, he's got to take that next step, he's got a fair way of going yet, but he was the best half a couple of years ago as a kid."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The amount of smoke around this is really making me concerned now.

If they have waited this long for a full cap and they waste it on the likes of Reynolds it will be heartbreaking.
The worst part is we have a better half who is still off contract for next year in Wakeham and this move would just mean Wakeham doesn't get to play and develop and another club will poach him.

Why the hell did they re-sign Lewis before his deal expired if they planned on bringing in Reynolds a few months later? They couldn't be fucking things up more if they tried.

Like you said, the amount of smoke around this is massively concerning and I don't blame Pay, I blame the CEO and recruitment team for even letting things get this far. They should have said no the minute his name was brought up.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
clearly this is about josh reynolds bringing back that mick ennis niggle which i agree with but hes no halfback and neither is foran

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Instead of the spastic notion of bringing Reynolds back, Re-signing wakeham should be our top priority tbh
It's actually ridiculous, I'd love to know wtf our clubs recruitment strategy is because I honestly don't have a clue if we're looking at Josh.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If our board do this and if pay keeps on selecting the wrong team and gets a renewed contract, then I think it's safe to say there will be a rival ticket and this board will be on their way out

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's actually ridiculous, I'd love to know wtf our clubs recruitment strategy is because I honestly don't have a clue if we're looking at Josh.
Club mentality: "he has BuLlDoGs DnA, is experienced and a real LeAdEr"!! .

Plus his injury history ensures us he's the perfect signing we should be targeting by wasting our cap even further than under has-lice's reign

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would re-sign Foran. He is the best half we have at the club.

Then I would re-sign Wakeham.

Coggs and Reynolds in nsw cup.

Swap lachlan Lewis with ado Carr

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The worst part is we have a better half who is still off contract for next year in Wakeham and this move would just mean Wakeham doesn't get to play and develop and another club will poach him.

Why the hell did they re-sign Lewis before his deal expired if they planned on bringing in Reynolds a few months later? They couldn't be fucking things up more if they tried.

Like you said, the amount of smoke around this is massively concerning and I don't blame Pay, I blame the CEO and recruitment team for even letting things get this far. They should have said no the minute his name was brought up.
There’s so many reasons that they don’t need to bring him back that have been mentioned in this thread. It will show how out of touch the club is if they do this and parade him around like some prize signing spewing out all the Bulldogs DNA and passion bullshit.