Bryce Cartwright Saga

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/bryce-...g-waiver/397b72f7-d9f2-43a2-a87c-0513e6462de1

Bryce Cartwright is set to be stood down by the NRL as it toughens its stance on vaccination following pressure from the federal government.

Cartwright initially refused to sign a waiver accepting liability for refusing to take the flu shot, however the waiver looks set to become irrelevant with reports suggesting the NRL will adjust its policy to align with Prime Minister Scott Morrison's 'no jab, no play' suggestion.

That would rule Cartwright out indefinitely, and he is not alone, with three Raiders players also refusing the flu shot due to religious beliefs.

Among those players is Test star Josh Papalii, who did not attend the first Raiders training session after the COVD-19 shutdown as he sought clarity on the NRL's vaccination policy.

Cartwright, Papalii, Sia Soliolo and Joseph Tapine are the four players who have made headlines since the flu jab was raised as an issue but there are likely to be several others at loggerheads with the tough stance.

The vaccination story moved swiftly today, with Cartwright reporting to Titans training after agreeing to sign a waiver that had been softened from the document he initially refused to sign.

Based on yesterday's advice from ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys that would have cleared Cartwright to play but according to Nine News sports editor Cameron Williams, V'landys and the NRL made the call to toughen its stance on the basis of advice from its medicos and the tough rhetoric coming from senior figures in the federal government.

"Titans coach Justin Holbrook is 100 percent correct when he says Cartwright has signed new waiver and is compliant. Trouble is the medicos and politicians don't accept the waivers. No jab, no play and sensible forces at NRL know this," Williams tweeted.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of Cartwright, but for the NRL stand him down over not having a flu jab? Come on. At my workplace, they offer free flu vaccines whenever flu season comes around, but I choose not to accept it. Last time I had it done which was about 15 years ago, I immediately got the flu and it was pretty bad so I tend to opt against it. If I'm going to get it, I'd rather get and it over it the natural way, and build up my immune system.

This here is a pathetic move by the NRL... but I am not the least bit surprised. Almost as bad as them handling the de Belin case.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s from the government isn’t it. It’s not entirely the nrl.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It’s from the government isn’t it. It’s not entirely the nrl.
The government made a suggestion not a rule. The federal government can't even make states follow their rules. It's up to each state's Premier.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The government made a suggestion not a rule. The federal government can't even make states follow their rules. It's up to each state's Premier.
Fair enough.

If you were getting no pay and a good paying job said you had to get the flu shot to work for them and make a living and there was no other job that would pay you anywhere near the same salary would you do it?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
In my opinion you cannot compare this situation to "oh my workplace offers flu jabs and I choose not to get it". Everything is different post COVID-19.

The NRL needs to do do everything it can to ensure they can restart this years comp. How do you think it is going to look if the player base has a flu outbreak once the competition starts? All infected players will get removed from the game, maybe for weeks. Think of the negative reporting that will come off the back of that.

Yeah the flu jab is only probably 50% effective, but that is better than having 0% immunity from new flu strains. The more players that have the jab, the better the herd immunity is for the quarantined player base.

The other thing to consider is what if the worst happens and we get a second wave of COVID-19 and it somehow makes its way into the player base. I am pretty sure you do not want COVID-19 and another flu strain at the same time. I don't think anyone fully understands what may happen there so that is definitely something to avoid if you can.

As for the general public, I advise everyone to go and get the flu shot even if you do not normally get it. If there is a second wave of COVID-19, our hospitals could became overwhelmed very, very fast and the last thing the hospital system needs is extra patients with the regular flu who felt like they didn't need to get a vaccination. Remember it just isn't about you, it is about who you may pass it onto.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I said this in another thread, but feel like bringing it up again. Naturally due to lockdown, flu numbers are half than the same time last year.

I understand the flu in conjunction with coronavirus is very dangerous, but we're talking about some really really small numbers of the likelyhood of our players getting one of these let alone both.

I do get both arguments relating to this though.

Wahesh

Reaction score
In my opinion you cannot compare this situation to "oh my workplace offers flu jabs and I choose not to get it". Everything is different post COVID-19.

The NRL needs to do do everything it can to ensure they can restart this years comp. How do you think it is going to look if the player base has a flu outbreak once the competition starts? All infected players will get removed from the game, maybe for weeks. Think of the negative reporting that will come off the back of that.

Yeah the flu jab is only probably 50% effective, but that is better than having 0% immunity from new flu strains. The more players that have the jab, the better the herd immunity is for the quarantined player base.

The other thing to consider is what if the worst happens and we get a second wave of COVID-19 and it somehow makes its way into the player base. I am pretty sure you do not want COVID-19 and another flu strain at the same time. I don't think anyone fully understands what may happen there so that is definitely something to avoid if you can.

As for the general public, I advise everyone to go and get the flu shot even if you do not normally get it. If there is a second wave of COVID-19, our hospitals could became overwhelmed very, very fast and the last thing the hospital system needs is extra patients with the regular flu who felt like they didn't need to get a vaccination. Remember it just isn't about you, it is about who you may pass it onto.
Mate the flu jab is not related to Coronavirus. The 2 diseases are both contagious but getting a flu jab doesn't do anything except lower the potential strain hospitals face if a fly outbreak were to take place with the covid-19 - that said, I understand that but I will not get a flu shot regardless. God forbid if I get one or the other I'll be staying at home.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate the flu jab is not related to Coronavirus. The 2 diseases are both contagious but getting a flu jab doesn't do anything except lower the potential strain hospitals face if a fly outbreak were to take place with the covid-19 - that said, I understand that but I will not get a flu shot regardless. God forbid if I get one or the other I'll be staying at home.
The normal flu lowers the immune system and makes you more susceptible to picking up corona it also makes identifying potential corona cases with NRL players a lot easier as they can rule out normal flu. That's why the NRL want players immunised.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of Cartwright, but for the NRL stand him down over not having a flu jab? Come on. At my workplace, they offer free flu vaccines whenever flu season comes around, but I choose not to accept it. Last time I had it done which was about 15 years ago, I immediately got the flu and it was pretty bad so I tend to opt against it. If I'm going to get it, I'd rather get and it over it the natural way, and build up my immune system.

This here is a pathetic move by the NRL... but I am not the least bit surprised. Almost as bad as them handling the de Belin case.
I don’t know where you work but it sounds like it’s not a mandated requirement for you to have the flu shot?
It’s mandatory for all workers in residential aged care facilities to have a flu shot.
Victoria is looking at making it mandatory for all its health care workers which is very controversial as not everybody can have the flu shot.
I don’t have an opinion either way just giving you examples of places where it is mandatory or being considered:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair enough.

If you were getting no pay and a good paying job said you had to get the flu shot to work for them and make a living and there was no other job that would pay you anywhere near the same salary would you do it?
At least you would have a choice.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't say the flu jab is directly related to COVID-19. At the end of the day there are only benefits to getting the flu jab and absolutely no negatives. People arguing this stuff is mind boggling to me and very selfish.

These players who are anti flu jab aren't just anti flu jab either, most of them are anti all vaccinations. Basically they are selfish, uneducated idiots who need to realise that the wider society is not on their side here. As stated above plenty of workplaces mandate vaccinations. They can continue to decline them if they want, they should just be prepared to find a different job at the same time.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with the no jab no play rule.

This saga just proved Peter V'landys has no balls.

He has backflipped twice on this.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with the no jab no play rule.

This saga just proved Peter V'landys has no balls.

He has backflipped twice on this.
I'm not so sure about that if the NRL came up with the no jab no play they could have left themselves open for a Folau like court case.

Now the government has said no jab no play it has been taken out of the NRL's hands.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I didn't say the flu jab is directly related to COVID-19. At the end of the day there are only benefits to getting the flu jab and absolutely no negatives. People arguing this stuff is mind boggling to me and very selfish.

These players who are anti flu jab aren't just anti flu jab either, most of them are anti all vaccinations. Basically they are selfish, uneducated idiots who need to realise that the wider society is not on their side here. As stated above plenty of workplaces mandate vaccinations. They can continue to decline them if they want, they should just be prepared to find a different job at the same time.
Antonio Winterstein 's wife thinks Covid 19 is a hoax. (she should be put to sleep.)

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The normal flu lowers the immune system and makes you more susceptible to picking up corona it also makes identifying potential corona cases with NRL players a lot easier as they can rule out normal flu. That's why the NRL want players immunised.
There are so many flaws to this though. The Covid 19 virus can be in your system for weeks with no symptoms, so how will they know if someone has it before they have already infected others? They plan to check their temperature for signs of fever, but even this is not a perfect system. Also, if every player has a flu shot bar a few, then the majority are also not at risk of getting the flu, or for that matter showing symptoms. So the few that don't have the shot get stood down immediately to remove the risk of a potential Covid virus, and the rest of the team are fine. It just doesn't make sense for it to be mandatory!
Personally, I'm on the fence in regards to immunisation on a whole. My mother decided to not immunize me and my siblings, due to the fact there were very few long term case studies to confirm the immunizations had no drastic medical side effects. I'm personally glad that she didn't, as I have a very good immune system, and i think this is part of the reason. I have an actual proper flu once in the past 10 years, and i very rarely even get a cold.
On the other hand, i have had immunizations when I have travelled to certain countries, and my wife is a nurse and she mostly have all of her shots regularly. So I'm sure our kids will end up having theirs as well. But personally, i could go either way.
One thing I really do dispose though, is the government insisting you have to do something. Even childcare nurseries insist that kids have their shots now. But if your kid has had theirs, they are no longer at risk if another kid gets sick. So what's the issue???

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that if the NRL came up with the no jab no play they could have left themselves open for a Folau like court case.

Now the government has said no jab no play it has been taken out of the NRL's hands.
Where in the bible etc does it say no vaccinations.

they are using their religion to beat the no vax.

The MD that said vaccinations causeed autism etc, was proven to have faked the results.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A friend of mine is travelling from nsw to qld to visit his sick mother. He has to have a certificate with him stating he’s had the flu shot to be allowed into Queensland. It’s not just the nrl.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are so many flaws to this though. The Covid 19 virus can be in your system for weeks with no symptoms, so how will they know if someone has it before they have already infected others? They plan to check their temperature for signs of fever, but even this is not a perfect system. Also, if every player has a flu shot bar a few, then the majority are also not at risk of getting the flu, or for that matter showing symptoms. So the few that don't have the shot get stood down immediately to remove the risk of a potential Covid virus, and the rest of the team are fine. It just doesn't make sense for it to be mandatory!
Personally, I'm on the fence in regards to immunisation on a whole. My mother decided to not immunize me and my siblings, due to the fact there were very few long term case studies to confirm the immunizations had no drastic medical side effects. I'm personally glad that she didn't, as I have a very good immune system, and i think this is part of the reason. I have an actual proper flu once in the past 10 years, and i very rarely even get a cold.
On the other hand, i have had immunizations when I have travelled to certain countries, and my wife is a nurse and she mostly have all of her shots regularly. So I'm sure our kids will end up having theirs as well. But personally, i could go either way.
One thing I really do dispose though, is the government insisting you have to do something. Even childcare nurseries insist that kids have their shots now. But if your kid has had theirs, they are no longer at risk if another kid gets sick. So what's the issue???
There's no perfect system if there was everything would be back to normal now they are just looking for the best way to stop a outbreak.

The NRL don't care if someone has the flu but if you have someone that hasn't been immunised they are a higher chance of getting corona. All they are doing is trying everything in their power to lower the chances of a player contracting corona.

The government didn't insist on every player getting the flu needle the NRL submitted a health plan to the state and federal governments saying all their players would have the needle which the government approved.

Now the government is asking why all the players aren't immunised.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where in the bible etc does it say no vaccinations.

they are using their religion to beat the no vax.

The MD that said vaccinations causeed autism etc, was proven to have faked the results.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a thing based on religion for what ever reasons they object to the needle they could potentiality take them to court over it if they had a no jab no play policy.