News Albury council denies Storm NRL training

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So my understanding is the council voted against this because they think it is a double standard that the Storm players are being allowed to do things other citizens cannot?

Seems pretty dumb to me, I would think the Storm coming to Albury would only do good things for that shithole.
Agree seems very petty, I can't understand why the council would take this stand. Plus is it likely only for a few days as the Victorian government will likely allow groups of 10 to train together after the 11th of May.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Large family gatherings of that size are still not permitted anyway, but I don't see how it is anything like a large family, tbh....it's a professional environment...and given a lot of people are still working at home, the idea of 50 out of towners training for a physical contact sport in their town might cause a few people to scratch their heads.

It probably wouldn't do the town any major harm....it might encourage a few idiots to break social distancing measures or even to head down to the oval to try to sneak a peak of the action....I'd imagine it would probably require police resources to keep curious people away.

I'n not saying it would have a huge impact, but all of these considerations need to be taken into account and the storm may well have had more success if they had gone through the proper processes of scouting and receiving approval to use a venue rather than just expecting a council to agree to their requirements.

It looks like a private club has stepped in and offered its facilities anyway, but I hardly think it's the council's fault. It's not unreasonable of them to have some doubts about such a proposal.....especially if the club hasn't really done the necessary legwork to make sure all necessary boxes were ticked in relation to their request.
It wouldnt hurt the town in the slightest.
Surely a feel good story about the hospitality of the town and regular mentions in the paper as the foster home of the Storm, would only serve to help the town when lockdowns are eased.
Fkn idiots.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It wouldnt hurt the town in the slightest.
Surely a feel good story about the hospitality of the town and regular mentions in the paper as the foster home of the Storm, would only serve to help the town when lockdowns are eased.
Fkn idiots.
Because the storm have such a huge fan base.... and lots of members of that mighty army of supporters would be likely to read NSW metro papers and think, “Gee, wouldn’t it be great to holiday in Albury - the foster home of a club nobody really cares about! Thst would really give the kids a story to tell their grandkids one day.”

People don’t generally use logic like that to plan their holidays..... and I’d wager that very few people will remember where the storm trained when things get back to normal.

I guess if the council had approved the application, they could slash the tourism budget..... already sorted.... lol

Last edited: