Tuesday Treats: Mick Potter

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great attack alright, found the line more times than not.!!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Great player. Very much under rated. Am I wrong 2 rothmans medals? Would have made a great coach..Just like Jason Taylor 1 ego driven player ended their careers.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh the old Mick Potter,
I used to luv watching this guy play back in the day
I still remember so many big games at a pact out BSG on a Sunday arvo and it would be Mick that cracked the defensive line
So much good field position came off his vision and knowing when to chime in
Also very safe under the high ball.
He definitely deserved those awards at the time.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great player. Very much under rated. Am I wrong 2 rothmans medals? Would have made a great coach..Just like Jason Taylor 1 ego driven player ended their careers.
Don’t think he won a Rothman’s mate but Dally M’s instead (not that that’s anything less). I definitely remember McGrady and Lamb (the winning recipe, Lamb with McGravy) both won Rothman’s but don’t think Potts did.

Rothman’s Medal - just like Winfield Cup and Benson & Hedges in the cricket. A bygone era of tobacco sponsorship!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Farrah was such a prima donna, and as he was a Bulldog supporter when younger so we certainly dodged a bullet not having him at Belmore. Potter was awesome for us and Jason Taylor has a great footy brain, but couldn't separate himself from the playing group. wanted to be everyone's wacky mate..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ah, that’s it, my friend and yours Google gives the answer. Rothman’s was Player of the Year given by NSWRL/QRL 1968-1997 and was replaced by the NRL’s Dally M in 1998.

Prior to that the Dally M from 1979-1996 was issued by the Daily Mirror newspaper and Potts won two of those - Bulldogs in 1984 and Dragons in 1991.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, that’s it, my friend and yours Google gives the answer. Rothman’s was Player of the Year given by NSWRL/QRL 1968-1997 and was replaced by the NRL’s Dally M in 1998.

Prior to that the Dally M from 1979-1996 was issued by the Daily Mirror newspaper and Potts won two of those - Bulldogs in 1984 and Dragons in 1991.
I also noticed that he was the first to win a Dally M as a fullback
Nice to get him back on the cheap lol
There would be no dropping bombs at least

Last edited:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Don’t think he won a Rothman’s mate but Dally M’s instead (not that that’s anything less). I definitely remember McGrady and Lamb (the winning recipe, Lamb with McGravy) both won Rothman’s but don’t think Potts did.

Rothman’s Medal - just like Winfield Cup and Benson & Hedges in the cricket. A bygone era of tobacco sponsorship!
Thanks mate. I remember him winning something. He was a great fullback for the dogs, top 3 that I have seen.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I was too young to remember him too well, but I remember being raised (bulldogs brainwashed) to consider him a great player but a traitor to the dogs for leaving (I think he must have been one of many that left after the 88 GF??)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was too young to remember him too well, but I remember being raised (bulldogs brainwashed) to consider him a great player but a traitor to the dogs for leaving (I think he must have been one of many that left after the 88 GF??)
Rather than traitor I don’t think he had much choice. After a big injury in ‘86 he struggled for a while. When Gould arrived to coach in ‘88 I don’t think he was in his plans - hence why Jason Alchin played fullback in the GF and Potts was at Kogarah the following year.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Rather than traitor I don’t think he had much choice. After a big injury in ‘86 he struggled for a while. When Gould arrived to coach in ‘88 I don’t think he was in his plans - hence why Jason Alchin played fullback in the GF and Potts was at Kogarah the following year.
cheers I was only around 10 at the time, I just remember in our house as a kid players like Potter, Farrar, Thomas, Tunks, Gillespie, Alchin, the Mortimer at Penrith etc being sore points over the years and I was always told they are bloody great players and should’ve still been at the dogs

I guess back then it was a bit like Pay, Dymock, McCracken, Smith leaving for us later on or Mason, O’mealy, Anasta for the younger supporters?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
cheers I was only around 10 at the time, I just remember in our house as a kid players like Potter, Farrar, Thomas, Tunks, Gillespie, Alchin, the Mortimer at Penrith etc being sore points over the years and I was always told they are bloody great players and should’ve still been at the dogs

I guess back then it was a bit like Pay, Dymock, McCracken, Smith leaving for us later on or Mason, O’mealy, Anasta for the younger supporters?
Yep - always a disappointment when good/favourite players left the club and you saw them in other colours.
Particularly back in those days when players tended to stick with a club for most if not all their career - money wasn't really a factor pre-Super League when the salaries started sky-rocketing.
There was also no salary cap so no pressure on total cost of the playing group.
I think the 'filthy four' in the 90's was slightly different on the basis that they had originally committed to the Dogs/Super League and back-flipped to the ARL/Slimy Eels when they found out they could get more money because they signed their Super League contracts early - before the bidding war exploded between the two camps.
These days it's pretty much expected that players will likely play for multiple clubs during their career - so yeah that covers those who left us to go to Bondi.
Blokes like Jacko are rare these days. I get it - limited time in the game, maximise earnings and all that - but I did like those days when teams would largely stay together for several years...