News Josh Addo-Carr and Latrell Mitchell caught breaking COVID-19 rules (now with added Nathan Cleary)

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
What happened with JO & CHN are clearly different cases, so we really shouldn't compare. I for one am comfortable with the punishment handed out to our players, and am happy the club was actively involved in coming to that conclusion though I know many of you want to somehow lump all of that on the NRL.

People are sitting here getting angry at the NRL about their handling of this. And rightly so. They've opened up for anyone to use 'cultural' reasons for their behaviour, or simply their status. They've handled this situation absolutely terribly as I'm certain more and more stuff will come out in the coming days / weeks connected to the current cases, and new ones. They had the chance to nip this in the bud but instead have allowed the problem to grow. Most likely out of control. Ridiculous.

However, no one is talking about the reaction ... or lack of reaction by their clubs. Souths. Melbourne. Penrith. None of them have done anything, have they? I haven't even seen any comments from them apart from Greg Alexander about Cleary. We can unload on the NRL, but I think a lot of responsibility comes from the the club's in question and that they're doing diddly squat to set an appropriate standard within the club and community.

People keep saying our club is weak as piss. I beg to differ. By Souths, Melbourne, Panthers sitting on their hands and doing absolutely nothing about this case I think they're absolutely weak as piss. If we sat down and simply said "The NRL has given the punishments. That's enough for us" then I'd be livid.
Discipline will never work handled by the clubs because they just aren't going to sit down Aussie players from matches. Some may but most won't which in itself already breeds inconsistency. You can compare CHN to this in some ways at the end result. To players get rubbed out of the game as opposed to players getting fuk all for breaking pandemic isolation laws. In one case multiple times. Did you see either of LM's or Ado's apologise on the news? They were atrocious and showed contempt. 1 hour after that LM posted the comparison photo of Bondi and him and claimed racism. Cleary lied straight to the camera about Uber and 10 minutes then get's caught out dancing on tiktok with them. We all know 10 minutes after the photo he was probably pounding all of them. None of these guys cared and cared less after they were caught. What made it worse is they actual think they were victims. Done with these c*nts attitudes!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Discipline will never work handled by the clubs because they just aren't going to sit down Aussie players from matches. Some may but most won't which in itself already breeds inconsistency. You can compare CHN to this in some ways at the end result. To players get rubbed out of the game as opposed to players getting fuk all for breaking pandemic isolation laws. In one case multiple times. Did you see either of LM's or Ado's apologise on the news? They were atrocious and showed contempt. 1 hour after that LM posted the comparison photo of Bondi and him and claimed racism. Cleary lied straight to the camera about Uber and 10 minutes then get's caught out dancing on tiktok with them. We all know 10 minutes after the photo he was probably pounding all of them. None of these guys cared and cared less after they were caught. What made it worse is they actual think they were victims. Done with these c*nts attitudes!
Being honest ... I agree with you. Don't want to compare but it's getting to the point it just doesn't make sense. A statement needs to be made by the NRL. It's not too late to do that.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Being honest ... I agree with you. Don't want to compare but it's getting to the point it just doesn't make sense. A statement needs to be made by the NRL. It's not too late to do that.
IT would have strengthen the NRL's case to resume had they sat them out but instead it weakens it and allows the criticism in. Had they slammed down hard it would have proved that the NRL are serious. Now they can't be trusted...

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Funny that Mitchell is claiming racism when the nrl are petrified of disciplining high profile indigenous players with anything other than barely a slap on the wrist when they fuck up.

The more high profile you are, the more leniency you get

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Funny that Mitchell is claiming racism when the nrl are petrified of disciplining high profile indigenous players with anything other than barely a slap on the wrist when they fuck up.

The more high profile you are, the more leniency you get
Yep weak as piss. They should have called him on it and asked him to explain that reasoning to see if LM had the fortitude to back up his claims. Then when he failed to prove his claim they should slap an even bigger penalty on him for an unfounded claim of racism, that may shut these c*nts up!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The gift that keeps on giving...

NRL investigating after new videos of Nathan Cleary emerge, Phil Gould reacts
Nathan Cleary’s excuse for keeping his social distancing breach secret from the NRL has been ridiculed while Phil Gould teed off.

21 comments
news.com.auAPRIL 29, 20209:08PM

Penrith Panthers NRL star Nathan Cleary is pictured dancing in a video, now removed from Tik Tok, where he is clearly engaged in breaking coronavirus-related social distancing...

Nathan Cleary has come under fire after new footage surfaced of the Penrith halfback dancing with the same women who appeared in photos with the footy star as he was penalised for breaking social distancing restrictions.

The Daily Telegraph reports two videos were initially uploaded to social media platform TikTok but have now been deleted.

On Tuesday, Channel 9 released pictures showing Cleary appearing to break quarantine rules as he sat on a couch with at least five females.

Addressing the incriminating video clips, Cleary said he didn’t tell the NRL about their existence because the governing body didn’t ask.

“I messed up, I spoke to the integrity unit about what happened but they didn’t ask me about the TikTok videos, they just asked me about the pictures and I’ve already told them about that,” Cleary told The Daily Telegraph.

“I wish I hadn’t done the video, just got carried away in the moment. I was stupid. I messed up.”

His latest excuse didn’t go down with everybody.

Bernie Coen

✔@berniecoen

#Nrl Clubs with players in hot water need to tell them to ZIP it NOW!! They're only burying themselves further in by opening their mouths. Nathan Cleary's comments are just bewildering. He didn't mention video because he wasn't asked!! Is he kidding @PenrithPanthers @10NewsFirst

3:24 PM - Apr 29, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Bernie Coen's other Tweets

On Tuesday the Panthers playmaker apologised for his lapse in judgment, saying the women were his sister’s friends who had dropped in unexpectedly at his house on Anzac Day.

The NSW State of Origin No. 7 told Nine’s Danny Weidler they stayed for no longer than 10 minutes, and he had “no idea” a photo was taken.

However, the TikTok videos call that story into question because Cleary was an active participant in the clips and he would have known he was being filmed.

Cleary was busted ignoring social distancing rules.Source:Channel 9

Australia was quick to react to the development in Cleary’s case. Former Penrith supremo and ex-NSW coach Phil Gould said if Cleary was found to have lied about what happened at his house on Anzac Day, it would be “obscenely stupid”.

Gould earlier called on those NRL stars found guilty of breaking social distancing rules to be suspended for the entire season, which is scheduled to restart on May 28.

PhilGould15

✔@PhilGould15

If Nathan Cleary has lied about his involvement (a) That’s obscenely stupid (b) It’s worse than the original breach (c) He will have to live with consequence of his actions. NRL will definitely reconsider the penalty imposed, which I considered to be too light in first place.

1:14 PM - Apr 29, 2020

138 people are talking about this

Panthers great Mark Geyer also responded to the “disappointing” TikTok videos, calling the footage a “punch in the gut” for the rugby league community.

“The news on Latrell and Addo-Carr was enough, and then you see one of the Origin stars in a social media post today, which quite frankly is staggering,” Geyer told 7 News.

“I think just the self-entitlement of these young guys is what is most disappointing. We’ve all made sacrifices – birthday parties, weddings, you can’t even go to people’s funerals these days. Here we have three of the superstars of the game flaunting it front of the rest of society.

“They’ve got to be made an example of … at the moment, they’ve been hit on the back of the hand with a feather.

“We get another punch to the gut today. It’s so disappointing.”

Mark Gottlieb

✔@MarkGottlieb

· 20h

https://twitter.com/elizajbarr/status/1255303390457978880 …

Eliza Barr

✔@ElizaJBarr

And another killer exclusive, this time from @telegraph_sport: Nathan Cleary’s Tiktok videos contradict his story about the photos of him covered in girls which led to his social distancing fine from the NRL. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/panthers/nathan-cleary-tiktok-video-contradicts-nrl-stars-story-over-isolation-breach/news-story/1b0a2a98c331d681274c7447b4a0163c …

Mark Gottlieb

✔@MarkGottlieb

I think it’s pretty clear that the ‘suspended’ part of Cleary’s fine should be ‘unsuspended’. What an idiot.

12:21 PM - Apr 29, 2020

See Mark Gottlieb's other Tweets

Jason Whittaker

✔@thetowncrier

AFL: Quietly working on logistics, not debating dates or scenarios in the media, players behaved, broadcasters patient.

NRL: WE'RE COMING BACK THEN OR ELSE, OR MAYBE THEN, BROADCASTERS REBEL, CEO SACKED, PLAYERS RUN RIOT, NEW DRAMA EVERY DAY, ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO US?

12:39 PM - Apr 29, 2020

21 people are talking about this

Craig Norenbergs

✔@CraigNorenbergs

Sheez. Why don’t athletes just fess up, admit they were wrong, and apologise? Why try and lie your way out of it? My mother was right in saying lies just make it worse... #NRL #cleary https://twitter.com/foxnrl/status/1255319393132781568 …

Fox League

✔@FOXNRL

What happened to the Uber?

Nathan Cleary’s flimsy excuse exposed after TikTok video emerges

https://bit.ly/3bMpZov

12:58 PM - Apr 29, 2020 · Auckland, New Zealand

See Craig Norenbergs's other Tweets

Scotty Stevenson

✔@sumostevenson

Man the NRL just keeps on giving.

1:22 PM - Apr 29, 2020

See Scotty Stevenson's other Tweets

Adam Liaw

✔@adamliaw

· 17h

I suspect the NRL is going to spend millions trying to arrange for the season to get underway, only for it to be scrapped in the first few weeks as soon as a player who has secretly/not-so-secretly been breaking social distancing rules tests positive.

Adam Liaw

✔@adamliaw

Regardless of whether that happens or not, you'd have to say that a significant amount of goodwill has been eroded when the NRL is asking for special allowances for huge volumes of kits for daily testing of all players and staff, and their players can't even stay at home.

2:14 PM - Apr 29, 2020

18 people are talking about this

Shazza McKenzie

✔@Shazza_McKenzie

Last year NRL stars careers were getting ruined for doing drugs on snapchats. This year they’re ruined for dancing with women on TikTok during lockdown. Wild.

3:15 PM - Apr 29, 2020

See Shazza McKenzie's other Tweets

Police said today Cleary won’t be fined for breaching quarantine restrictions because he is the resident of the house where the photos and videos were taken, but the visiting women are facing possible $1000 fines for the alleged lockdown breach.

However, the NRL hit Cleary with a $10,000 fine (with $6000 suspended) and a suspended one-game ban after his photos went public. It’s yet to be seen whether he will receive added punishment for the videos.

Cleary’s infringement comes after Melbourne winger Josh Addo-Carr and Souths fullback Latrell Mitchell were busted breaking lockdown rules at Mitchell’s property near Taree on the NSW mid-north coast.

Photos and videos posted to social media showed the NRL stars riding motorbikes and shooting with a group of people, and they were both fined $50,000 (with $30,000 suspended).

Acting NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said their financial penalties were more severe than that imposed on Cleary because Mitchell and Addo-Carr planned their getaway, whereas the Panthers half said his situation arose unexpectedly.

NSW Police have also charged the duo with firearm offences, alleging Addo-Carr was not authorised to use a gun because he did not have the necessary permit.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's compare this to being a parent.

Of course you want to support your child. Everyone makes mistakes. But a part of learning is to have consquences. Otherwise we never learn. We never understand what lines shouldn't be crossed. We know what authority is and to respect that. Children will throw their toys out of the pram, but you need to be strict otherwise they don't learn. Rules are rules.
I had this exact conversation with my teenage nephew who lives with us last night.

A

Alexander the Great

They've been charged with firearm offences too lol - $20,000. Ouch - even on their salary.
I highly doubt the court will give them the full whack brother. Media just beating it up for the wow factor.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The gift that keeps on giving...

NRL investigating after new videos of Nathan Cleary emerge, Phil Gould reacts
Nathan Cleary’s excuse for keeping his social distancing breach secret from the NRL has been ridiculed while Phil Gould teed off.

21 comments
news.com.auAPRIL 29, 20209:08PM

Penrith Panthers NRL star Nathan Cleary is pictured dancing in a video, now removed from Tik Tok, where he is clearly engaged in breaking coronavirus-related social distancing...

Nathan Cleary has come under fire after new footage surfaced of the Penrith halfback dancing with the same women who appeared in photos with the footy star as he was penalised for breaking social distancing restrictions.

The Daily Telegraph reports two videos were initially uploaded to social media platform TikTok but have now been deleted.

On Tuesday, Channel 9 released pictures showing Cleary appearing to break quarantine rules as he sat on a couch with at least five females.

Addressing the incriminating video clips, Cleary said he didn’t tell the NRL about their existence because the governing body didn’t ask.

“I messed up, I spoke to the integrity unit about what happened but they didn’t ask me about the TikTok videos, they just asked me about the pictures and I’ve already told them about that,” Cleary told The Daily Telegraph.

“I wish I hadn’t done the video, just got carried away in the moment. I was stupid. I messed up.”

His latest excuse didn’t go down with everybody.

Bernie Coen

✔@berniecoen

#Nrl Clubs with players in hot water need to tell them to ZIP it NOW!! They're only burying themselves further in by opening their mouths. Nathan Cleary's comments are just bewildering. He didn't mention video because he wasn't asked!! Is he kidding @PenrithPanthers @10NewsFirst

3:24 PM - Apr 29, 2020

See Bernie Coen's other Tweets

On Tuesday the Panthers playmaker apologised for his lapse in judgment, saying the women were his sister’s friends who had dropped in unexpectedly at his house on Anzac Day.

The NSW State of Origin No. 7 told Nine’s Danny Weidler they stayed for no longer than 10 minutes, and he had “no idea” a photo was taken.

However, the TikTok videos call that story into question because Cleary was an active participant in the clips and he would have known he was being filmed.

Cleary was busted ignoring social distancing rules.Source:Channel 9

Australia was quick to react to the development in Cleary’s case. Former Penrith supremo and ex-NSW coach Phil Gould said if Cleary was found to have lied about what happened at his house on Anzac Day, it would be “obscenely stupid”.

Gould earlier called on those NRL stars found guilty of breaking social distancing rules to be suspended for the entire season, which is scheduled to restart on May 28.

PhilGould15

✔@PhilGould15

If Nathan Cleary has lied about his involvement (a) That’s obscenely stupid (b) It’s worse than the original breach (c) He will have to live with consequence of his actions. NRL will definitely reconsider the penalty imposed, which I considered to be too light in first place.

1:14 PM - Apr 29, 2020

138 people are talking about this

Panthers great Mark Geyer also responded to the “disappointing” TikTok videos, calling the footage a “punch in the gut” for the rugby league community.

“The news on Latrell and Addo-Carr was enough, and then you see one of the Origin stars in a social media post today, which quite frankly is staggering,” Geyer told 7 News.

“I think just the self-entitlement of these young guys is what is most disappointing. We’ve all made sacrifices – birthday parties, weddings, you can’t even go to people’s funerals these days. Here we have three of the superstars of the game flaunting it front of the rest of society.

“They’ve got to be made an example of … at the moment, they’ve been hit on the back of the hand with a feather.

Mark Gottlieb

✔@MarkGottlieb

· 20h

https://twitter.com/elizajbarr/status/1255303390457978880 …

Eliza Barr

✔@ElizaJBarr

And another killer exclusive, this time from @telegraph_sport: Nathan Cleary’s Tiktok videos contradict his story about the photos of him covered in girls which led to his social distancing fine from the NRL. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/panthers/nathan-cleary-tiktok-video-contradicts-nrl-stars-story-over-isolation-breach/news-story/1b0a2a98c331d681274c7447b4a0163c …

Mark Gottlieb

✔@MarkGottlieb

I think it’s pretty clear that the ‘suspended’ part of Cleary’s fine should be ‘unsuspended’. What an idiot.

12:21 PM - Apr 29, 2020

See Mark Gottlieb's other Tweets

Jason Whittaker

✔@thetowncrier

AFL: Quietly working on logistics, not debating dates or scenarios in the media, players behaved, broadcasters patient.

NRL: WE'RE COMING BACK THEN OR ELSE, OR MAYBE THEN, BROADCASTERS REBEL, CEO SACKED, PLAYERS RUN RIOT, NEW DRAMA EVERY DAY, ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO US?

12:39 PM - Apr 29, 2020

21 people are talking about this

Craig Norenbergs

✔@CraigNorenbergs

Sheez. Why don’t athletes just fess up, admit they were wrong, and apologise? Why try and lie your way out of it? My mother was right in saying lies just make it worse... #NRL #cleary https://twitter.com/foxnrl/status/1255319393132781568 …

Fox League

✔@FOXNRL

What happened to the Uber?

Nathan Cleary’s flimsy excuse exposed after TikTok video emerges

https://bit.ly/3bMpZov

12:58 PM - Apr 29, 2020 · Auckland, New Zealand

See Craig Norenbergs's other Tweets

Scotty Stevenson

✔@sumostevenson

Man the NRL just keeps on giving.

1:22 PM - Apr 29, 2020

See Scotty Stevenson's other Tweets

Adam Liaw

✔@adamliaw

· 17h

I suspect the NRL is going to spend millions trying to arrange for the season to get underway, only for it to be scrapped in the first few weeks as soon as a player who has secretly/not-so-secretly been breaking social distancing rules tests positive.

Adam Liaw

✔@adamliaw

Regardless of whether that happens or not, you'd have to say that a significant amount of goodwill has been eroded when the NRL is asking for special allowances for huge volumes of kits for daily testing of all players and staff, and their players can't even stay at home.

2:14 PM - Apr 29, 2020

18 people are talking about this

Shazza McKenzie

✔@Shazza_McKenzie

Last year NRL stars careers were getting ruined for doing drugs on snapchats. This year they’re ruined for dancing with women on TikTok during lockdown. Wild.

3:15 PM - Apr 29, 2020

See Shazza McKenzie's other Tweets

Police said today Cleary won’t be fined for breaching quarantine restrictions because he is the resident of the house where the photos and videos were taken, but the visiting women are facing possible $1000 fines for the alleged lockdown breach.

However, the NRL hit Cleary with a $10,000 fine (with $6000 suspended) and a suspended one-game ban after his photos went public. It’s yet to be seen whether he will receive added punishment for the videos.

Cleary’s infringement comes after Melbourne winger Josh Addo-Carr and Souths fullback Latrell Mitchell were busted breaking lockdown rules at Mitchell’s property near Taree on the NSW mid-north coast.

Photos and videos posted to social media showed the NRL stars riding motorbikes and shooting with a group of people, and they were both fined $50,000 (with $30,000 suspended).

Acting NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said their financial penalties were more severe than that imposed on Cleary because Mitchell and Addo-Carr planned their getaway, whereas the Panthers half said his situation arose unexpectedly.

NSW Police have also charged the duo with firearm offences, alleging Addo-Carr was not authorised to use a gun because he did not have the necessary permit.
This part by MG is spot on.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

He's right in this instance. But I'm sick of hearing MG harp on from his ivory tower about every player that fucks up, players of his era can consider themselves very lucky there wasn't social media back then, the legacy of a few so called "legends" would be highly questionable

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latrine is the new Grog Inglis..... Great footballer, questionable human.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Espescially this part.... “They’ve got to be made an example of … at the moment, they’ve been hit on the back of the hand with a feather"

Dead set a minimum of 50k fines and a 5 game suspension would be a minimum in my books.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So the girls who "briefly" visited Nathan Cleary have been fined $1000 each for breach of distancing rules. Cleary should be fined for not opening his mouth to tell them that they were not allowed to visit him due to the distancing rules. He is protected because the breach occurred in his home and of course he lied by omission in not revealing the Tik Tok video which his excuse was : They did not ask me about anything else other than the photos...

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Firstly for Cleary. If he didn’t chop some or all of the girls then he is in the shit without reward :p

I wish Greenberg was still around. Would have loved to see how he handled this. But then again the nrl does have a huge double standard. Ask CHN, okunbor, de belin how they feel about fines that are 60% suspended.

Funny the nrl picks and chooses what to sweep under the carpet and what to stamp out. Bewildering if you ask me.

Hit a woman, drink drive, public violence, physical violence you are fine. No suspension needed.

You have a mad Monday that you do dumb shit, huge fines to club and players. Pretty much ended the career of one of them.

Go against social distancing, lie about it, say you didn’t know, putting the return date of the nrl under scrutiny. Claim it was cultural. fine Between 4K-20k. Swear at referees 2-4 week suspension.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know when motorbike riding and guns became part of aboriginal culture?