Dean Pay on 2SM

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We work hard, we scramble hard, etc...but we're hardly well drilled unit. Pay has just built a team that fights and struggles and unfortunately for us that's the extent of his abilities.
Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, that’s the extent of the players’ abilities? That no level of coaching can turn a severely cap restrained team, that’s supposed to finish last, into a contender? That 11th/12th is a bloody good coaching effort? Apologies, silly questions, of course you would never consider that.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
An unfortunate fact, if Dib wanted to “save his job” then he would have gone with Dymock, picked the assistant coach and promoted from within, that’s about as “Bulldog DNA” as there is. Dymock had far more claim to making sure that we were “getting back to our roots”. Picking Pay on that reason simply fails the logic test. The fact is Pay was the best applicant at the time, the others either didn’t apply or walked away when the true state of our cap was revealed to them.

Go Dogs
Why does it fail the logic test? Does Pay not have "Bulldog DNA"? In fact, he and Dymock have the same amount of DNA as they both deserted us to join Parra.

The only two people Dib was looking at were Pay and Dymock. And it was only those two he was looking at as they fit his criteria of having "Bulldogs DNA".

Dib probably chose Pay over Dymock as Dymock is more outspoken and was a holdover from the Des era and he wanted a clean start to try and sell the fans.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, that’s the extent of the players’ abilities? That no level of coaching can turn a severely cap restrained team, that’s supposed to finish last, into a contender? That 11th/12th is a bloody good coaching effort? Apologies, silly questions, of course you would never consider that.

Go Dogs
You still haven't responded to my points several times in regards to Pay as you keep hiding from reality and the facts and keep dodging the question. You always ask people for evidence and proof but when it is presented to you, you ignore it as it doesn't suit your agenda.

So I'll ask you one more time.. If Pay deserves to stay on as coach and everything is out of his control as you say, then how do you justify or defend scoring only 13.6 points a game last season (worst in the comp) and a -155 F/A? (2nd worst)

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You still haven't responded to my points several times in regards to Pay as you keep hiding from reality and the facts and keep dodging the question. You always ask people for evidence and proof but when it is presented to you, you ignore it as it doesn't suit your agenda.

So I'll ask you one more time.. If Pay deserves to stay on as coach and everything is out of his control as you say, then how do you justify or defend scoring only 13.6 points a game last season (worst in the comp) and a -155 F/A? (2nd worst)
I know that we all miss the footy for obvious reasons but we are at a crossroads this year in regards to either extended certain players or moving them on,
But our biggest issue by far is making a call on dean’s future
The quicker the team gets on the field the better so our management can move forward pending results tacking all things into consideration.
The board can’t make a decision based on 2 games
It’s a pivotal time and I’d say within 12 rounds things should be clearer.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know that we all miss the footy for obvious reasons but we are at a crossroads this year in regards to either extended certain players or moving them on,
But our biggest issue by far is making a call on dean’s future
The quicker the team gets on the field the better so our management can move forward pending results tacking all things into consideration.
The board can’t make a decision based on 2 games
It’s a pivotal time and I’d say within 12 rounds things should be clearer.
It's more the last two years that worries me but I agree the rest of this season is pivotal for so many reasons... For them to make a call on Pay. For them to see what players are going to be available next season. To see how our own players develop and whether they're part of the long term solution or if we need more reinforcements etc.

Either way I think we need another coach to take us to the next level. Pay was always a stop gap while we got through the tough years. We need someone else to help the club take the next step.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

And I'll answer you one more time, the coach doesn't score the points, the players do. I don't believe that any coach in the NRL could get us much higher in the table with the players at his disposal. The evidence is plain, none of them wanted the job last time because they were aware of the roster and the salary cap constraints until 2021 that meant they couldn't fix the roster until then. My view is they didn't want to make their win/loss coaching record worse for 3 years while the cap problem was resolved. They simply didn't want to do the hard work, they wanted to waltz in with a top level level team plus Cap space spare and to pump up their reputation.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And I'll answer you one more time, the coach doesn't score the points, the players do. I don't believe that any coach in the NRL could get us much higher in the table with the players at his disposal. The evidence is plain, none of them wanted the job last time because they were aware of the roster and the salary cap constraints until 2021 that meant they couldn't fix the roster until then. My view is they didn't want to make their win/loss coaching record worse for 3 years while the cap problem was resolved. They simply didn't want to do the hard work, they wanted to waltz in with a top level level team plus Cap space spare and to pump up their reputation.

Go Dogs
So you don't think any other coach could get last years squad to average more than 14 points for a season or have a for and against better than 2nd last in the comp? You're saying that's the maximum potential of the squad? Just checking..

Just when it seems people couldn't set the bar any lower for Pay or fail to acknowledge even the most obvious and alarming of stats, you continue to make more excuses for him.

Who cares if another coach comes in without cap problems? Should we persist with a proven failure at coach just because it's another coach would reap the benefits?

There will be no benefits or glory for Pay to take with him as coach.. Other than our "achievements" of finishing 12th and averaging the fewest points in the comp that is. We'll be stuck as a bottom 5 team.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's not forget.....
Any major desision made in life has an element of a gamble...Pay gambled on his coaching future !!!
In his defense the previous board might have promised him a better roster by continuing the back-ended payment system that was abandoned by the new board .
Have you ever wondered why they have unnecessarily extended his contact ?

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So you don't think any other coach could get last years squad to average more than 14 points for a season or have a for and against better than 2nd last in the comp? You're saying that's the maximum potential of the squad? Just checking..

Just when it seems people couldn't set the bar any lower for Pay or fail to acknowledge even the most obvious and alarming of stats, you continue to make more excuses for him.

Who cares if another coach comes in without cap problems? Should we persist with a proven failure at coach just because it's another coach would reap the benefits?

There will be no benefits or glory for Pay to take with him as coach.. Other than our "achievements" of finishing 12th and averaging the fewest points in the comp that is. We'll be stuck as a bottom 5 team.
I agree with TwinTurbo, but you're right in regards to a top coach would push us a couple of positions up the ladder, but not as much as you probably think they would. We weren't in a position to get anyone better than Pay which is why he's here. Say whatever you want, but technically Pay's overachieved (looking at roster/results that's black and white and not debatable) so unless a top coach is available he'll be here next year too. We're going to be stuck as a bottom four team until we recruit top players (as our roster isn't good enough) which is what we're supposed to be doing for next year? Until Pay fails next year the hate is premature. Regardless, if a top coach is available we should be ruthless and get them, but the only one that fits the build that we have a realistic change of getting is Flanagan for 2022.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Question. How long will you give pay until you decide he isnt the coach for the club?

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still needs time but at the moment we just aren't improving and that has me worried.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foooolls. Dean is done. Stop talking rubbish. Should of been replaced 12 months ago. Then tap lyn anderson on the head not long after that. All problems solved

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Question. How long will you give pay until you decide he isnt the coach for the club?
Why would he ever decide such a thing? He doesn't think another coach could do a better job. According to the Pay loyalists, we have one of the best coaches in the comp and should be eternally thankful.

Nor should we ever question his record or tactics due to his many accomplishments. All hail Dean Pay.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Foooolls. Dean is done. Stop talking rubbish. Should of been replaced 12 months ago. Then tap lyn anderson on the head not long after that. All problems solved
Who’s Lyn?
Once you’re done sacking everyone, who replaces them? That’s probably a bridge too far, eh?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Why would he ever decide such a thing? He doesn't think another coach could do a better job. According to the Pay loyalists, we have one of the best coaches in the comp and should be eternally thankful.

Nor should we ever question his record or tactics due to his many accomplishments. All hail Dean Pay.
Don’t think anyone has ever said that mate...

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t bring myself to listen to Talkin Sport. It’s such a shit show. The callers are all punishing and they talk crap for up to 5 minutes. Tunks is painful and it lacks variety.
Gerard Condon quit this year and I used to enjoy when they did the 15 to 1 on Thursday.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did Pay say when he is bringing the madness.. or is scoring 1-2trys a game the madness he was speaking of..