Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
“Distance learning” is a massive disadvantage for any student, especially year 12. Anyone who doesn’t think so, is toeing the teachers union line and won’t be convinced.
Of course BB it’s not the best situation..there absolutely not doubt about that..but the world is not in the best situation at the time.. The HSC allows for misadventure..it’s marked accordingly. And I am definitely not pushing the Union line.. It’s only a term..the technology is available to do this..I’ve seen it in action..it’s great.. For students who need to do hands on work..we bring em in to school..Anyway that’s how I’d manage it.. We don’t want a second wave..swelling commuters too soon could possibly swell the spread.. I bloody hope I’m wrong..

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People not respecting social distancing

If I maintain my ground and someone enters my personal space can I hit them with a hammer fist?

When asked why can I use the social distancing as a defence.. your honour they broke the law with regard to 1.5 metre social distancing, how could I possibly hit them if they were more than 1.5 metres away?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My local Coles has toilet paper galore. No one's buying any :tearsofjoy:
Yeah I went in last week and there was loads. Quilton, Kleenex take your pick. @Blue_boost sitting on a stash still. All his money sitting in the pantry doing nothing instead of offsetting his home loan

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I went in last week and there was loads. Quilton, Kleenex take your pick. @Blue_boost sitting on a stash still. All his money sitting in the pantry doing nothing instead of offsetting his home loan
@Blue_boost is sitting on big stash , but it’s an investment . He will be able to sell them in a few years as 2020 mint edition of TP. they will be sought after item , especially on the 10 year anniversary of the rona virus .
Shrewd operator

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My local Coles has toilet paper galore. No one's buying any :tearsofjoy:
They have moved on to the cleaning aisle. No wipes, Glen 20 etc.

Far out their houses must have been filthy.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There might be a few rolls at Coles but that's not your doing, you were hoping like hell it was available. I don't leave things to chance, I like to pull the strings instead of being the chump at the hand with his hand held out hoping there is some crumbs for him.

There is no good relying on government stimulus to live, hand to mouth arrangement. You do things for yourself.

This whole toilet paper issue showed who are the go-getters that make things happen, then there are those who have no influence on an outcome, can't compete in society when push comes to shove, everytime they use their credit card, they are 50/50 if it will decline or approve

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Blue_boost is sitting on big stash , but it’s an investment . He will be able to sell them in a few years as 2020 mint edition of TP. they will be sought after item , especially on the 10 year anniversary of the rona virus .
Shrewd operator
Yes shrewd operator.

If I have an hour to do something I set my timer to 45 minutes .. there are many on here (sans toilet paper) that don't even have a watch to make sure they get the job done in an hour, arrive without the right tools, just hope it works out , they start making excuses as they start working.

They turn up to an aldi tv sale thinking "does life get better than this" only to be 25th in the que and when the doors open cop a backfist across the chops and get coat hangered by a fat guy to miss out on the last tv.

People like me (with toilet paper) do whatever it takes to get the job done, if I were to go to an aldi sale (if) I'll get what I came for one way or another.

Last edited:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah well there are opinions called qualified opinions ..it’s from hands on experience.. And your gross generalisation is just that..you generalise public opinion..ie. that they think teachers aren’t working..and you generalise that teachers are not working hard ..which is simply not true.. Additionally, I did not say you couldn’t have an opinion I just don’t agree with yours..
Have you ever heard of the School of the Air in Australia? Look it’s obviously not the best situation..but in extraordinary times..different methods need to be taken..and I don’t think it’s a good idea to go back to school at this moment..not to spread the disease just within the classroom..but swelling the population who do go to work.. It has a knock on effect..more people leads to the possibility of more spreading through squashed trains, buses..you need to limit people out there.. That’s my argument..
But going by your argument, no one would ever go back to work and no one would ever go back to school, simply because there's a risk of spreading the disease.

The virus is already well under control here (I think there's been no new infections in Queensland for a few days now, and in NSW there were just 2 infections in the last 24 hours (even though 7000+ people were tested (i.e. 99.9% of those tested were negative).

You can easily send kids back to school and still continue to monitor the situation.

Also, I wouldn't say that all of the public think teachers are lazy but there is certainly a narrative/thought amongst a broad percentage of the population that teachers have it very easy in comparison to most.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW, WHO's advice was based on all the research we had on influenza. Sweden followed that advice. They have half the population of Australia and have nearly 2,500 deaths compared to our 91 deaths.

That just shows how different this is from the flu.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But going by your argument, no one would ever go back to work and no one would ever go back to school, simply because there's a risk of spreading the disease.

The virus is already well under control here (I think there's been no new infections in Queensland for a few days now, and in NSW there were just 2 infections in the last 24 hours (even though 7000+ people were tested (i.e. 99.9% of those tested were negative).

You can easily send kids back to school and still continue to monitor the situation.

Also, I wouldn't say that all of the public think teachers are lazy but there is certainly a narrative/thought amongst a broad percentage of the population that teachers have it very easy in comparison to most.
No my argument does not say that at all..it is based on going back too early for the COVID-19..based on the fact that it’s highly contagious and can cause such havoc..we must not be complacent..going back too early has its risks..especially with the understanding of the virus at this stage..a missed term..with the technology available..and the allowances for some subject to effectively teach kids online.. I taught kids history..I have completed numerous online history courses..without out seeing the tutor..however it works brilliantly..with a conference video it would enhance it..though granted not as good as face to face..but in these times it is a great resource to really get on top of the virus.. I’ve learnt from experience..caution is the best way to go at the stage it is now..

Lol..you are generalising about generalising..

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
No my argument does not say that at all..it is based on going back too early for the COVID-19..based on the fact that it’s highly contagious and can cause such havoc..we must not be complacent..going back too early has its risks..especially with the understanding of the virus at this stage..a missed term..with the technology available..and the allowances for some subject to effectively teach kids online.. I taught kids history..I have completed numerous online history courses..without out seeing the tutor..however it works brilliantly..with a conference video it would enhance it..though granted not as good as face to face..but in these times it is a great resource to really get on top of the virus.. I’ve learnt from experience..caution is the best way to go at the stage it is now..

Lol..you are generalising about generalising..
The only other thing I'd say (and I'm being sincere about this). Perhaps people are unwilling to tell you their honest opinion if you are or were a teacher.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The only other thing I'd say (and I'm being sincere about this). Perhaps people are unwilling to tell you their honest opinion if you are or were a teacher.
I didn’t have any friends..maybe that’s why!

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yes shrewd operator.

If I have an hour to do something I set my timer to 45 minutes .. there are many on here (sans toilet paper) that don't even have a watch to make sure they get the job done in an hour, arrive without the right tools, just hope it works out , they start making excuses as they start working.

They turn up to an aldi tv sale thinking "does life get better than this" only to be 25th in the que and when the doors open cop a backfist across the chops and get coat hangered by a fat guy to miss out on the last tv.

People like me (with toilet paper) do whatever it takes to get the job done, if I were to go to an aldi sale (if) I'll get what I came for one way or another.
Who do you work for Rolex? or Seiko?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BTW, WHO's advice was based on all the research we had on influenza. Sweden followed that advice. They have half the population of Australia and have nearly 2,500 deaths compared to our 91 deaths.

That just shows how different this is from the flu.
Yes but there economy hasn’t been hit. At some stage u have to put a price between the nation or a small number of people. This will destroy us for a lifetime of debt. Whilst I agree with the actions, we’ve lost under 100 lives. And the flu would probably be this deadly, yet we get a vaccine against it. Thus saving many lives, again the older population or people with existing conditions.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes but there economy hasn’t been hit. At some stage u have to put a price between the nation or a small number of people. This will destroy us for a lifetime of debt. Whilst I agree with the actions, we’ve lost under 100 lives. And the flu would probably be this deadly, yet we get a vaccine against it. Thus saving many lives, again the older population or people with existing conditions.
Less than 100 is because of measures. As I said. Sweden has half our population and they're at 2,500 deaths with no sign of it slowing down. Or look at NYC. Over 0.15% of their population has died. A really bad flu season kills 0.1% of this infected. Not 0.1% of the population. 0.1% of those infected which is generally around 10-20% of the population.

There has to be a balance but if we didn't have the lockdowns then at best we would have at least 5,000 deaths by now if we were lucky. If we were unlucky we'd be looking more like NYC.

Of course economic damage leads to deaths too so there has to be a balance. But we are at the point where we're controlling the infection. NYC and Sweden are a long way off controlling it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW. The worst flu season in the US kills around 59,000 in a single year. The US has over 61,000 Covid-19 deaths with another 2,500 deaths per day and another 30,000 cases per day with no sign of being able to control it. America will be lucky if they keep it under 300,000 deaths.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Less than 100 is because of measures. As I said. Sweden has half our population and they're at 2,500 deaths with no sign of it slowing down. Or look at NYC. Over 0.15% of their population has died. A really bad flu season kills 0.1% of this infected. Not 0.1% of the population. 0.1% of those infected which is generally around 10-20% of the population.

There has to be a balance but if we didn't have the lockdowns then at best we would have at least 5,000 deaths by now if we were lucky. If we were unlucky we'd be looking more like NYC.

Of course economic damage leads to deaths too so there has to be a balance. But we are at the point where we're controlling the infection. NYC and Sweden are a long way off controlling it.
I agree with the lockdown 100%. Just thinking our hospital system is ready to cope. It hasn’t been used like modelling showed. There were talks of 100 000 deaths initially. With everyone practicing good hygiene and still being sensible, I’d like our chances

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BTW. The worst flu season in the US kills around 59,000 in a single year. The US has over 61,000 Covid-19 deaths with another 2,500 deaths per day and another 30,000 cases per day with no sign of being able to control it. America will be lucky if they keep it under 300,000 deaths.
I think there worse was 80 000 a year. This is with a vaccine though. Imagine the death toll with no vaccine

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At the moment..I remember your earlier projection Australia was in big trouble..have done well.. Would you say?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with the lockdown 100%. Just thinking our hospital system is ready to cope. It hasn’t been used like modelling showed. There were talks of 100 000 deaths initially. With everyone practicing good hygiene and still being sensible, I’d like our chances
Agreed. But we still have to be cautious as if it does get out of control then we can't put the cap back on the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.